The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokinia Questionare/The Good, the almost there and the Ugly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thought this would be kind of a fun thread. It's a 3 part question. On what has been announced and your thoughts on it. It's a little early to start this but a lot has been announced so far.

1.) The Good.
Great product almost certainly you would love to have it in your bag . It hits all the Pro's and very few of the Con's

2.) The Almost there.
Great announcement but something is stopping you from having it be it money or more important missing that feature , ergos or system for it. Looks good but smells funny.:ROTFL:

3.) The Ugly
What in the world where they thinking. Bad announcement no improvements or just flat out silly to bring to market or worse yet the previous model was so much better. Frankly put it back in the drawer and don't bring it to market.

Okay there you have it. Have fun :thumbs:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The Good:
So far for me the Arca-Swiss Rm3di and the D4 look to be squarely in the "I gotta have it" column.
Well, at least I am definitely going to try them.

With Phase One / Schneider I am lusting after the 150LS and the 35mm D. Check book is at the ready :p

Somehow the Leaf announcement leaves me feeling that there is another shoe that needs to drop. :confused:

The Almost There:
The Leica Titanium announcement is something that I would pick up in an instant given unlimited funds if only its hand strap didn't look like an amusement park bumper-car bumper. Fortunately for me the hand strap stopped me from scraping the bottom of the cookie jar. I also have to keep reminding myself that I can't shoot rangefinders any more. :cry:

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
good: Fuji X100
almost there: Fuji X100 (needs changeable lenses or a zoom)
ugly: did Linhoff have to re-invent the Cube? titanium M9 (actually Ti looks good, but so much expensive bling, and that ugly strap...)
not-yet reported: I-Pad hookup for MFDB, Hasselblad's surprise

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The Good:
So far for me the Arca-Swiss Rm3di and the D4 look to be squarely in the "I gotta have it" column.
Well, at least I am definitely going to try them.
Bob

When will the D4 be delivered in the U.S ? ? ?
Will you please report your first experience , when you tried it ? ? ?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As soon as I can get one I will let you know...
-bob
Bob

I have a KIRK PZ130 plate which the CUBE can not clamp .
It would be nice to know if the D4 can .
Might be that there are slight differences between the CUBE and the D4 .
Cheers .

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob

I have a KIRK PZ130 plate which the CUBE can not clamp .
It would be nice to know if the D4 can .
Might be that there are slight differences between the CUBE and the D4 .
Cheers .
Have you tried adjusting the cube's clamp?
that is the knurled wheel.
Also, since I recently noticed someone who was not aware of it, the arca flip clamp is a two stage clamp.
The first stage (from fully locked to mid-way should only loosen the clamp enough to cause the plate to slide a bit. The second release which is done by pulling back the ridged pin located in the back (clamp facing) position of the lever allows the lever to fully release.
Adjust the knurled adjuster to get a nice snug but slid-able fit on the half-way position.
It is a pity that the bracket makers don't all use the same dimensions since arca's are a bit smaller than RRS.
Careful about loosening the knurled nut too far otherwise it will result in a handful of loose part and springs LOL
-bob

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Have you tried adjusting the cube's clamp?
that is the knurled wheel.
Also, since I recently noticed someone who was not aware of it, the arca flip clamp is a two stage clamp.
The first stage (from fully locked to mid-way should only loosen the clamp enough to cause the plate to slide a bit. The second release which is done by pulling back the ridged pin located in the back (clamp facing) position of the lever allows the lever to fully release.
Adjust the knurled adjuster to get a nice snug but slid-able fit on the half-way position.
It is a pity that the bracket makers don't all use the same dimensions since arca's are a bit smaller than RRS.
Careful about loosening the knurled nut too far otherwise it will result in a handful of loose part and springs LOL
-bob

Bob

Thank you for your reply . I am aware of that little adjusting screw since I use a CUBE since it came on the market .
I can securely clamp an ARCA plate as well as a NOVOFLEX QPL-1 plate with the same adjustment setting . No trouble so far .
With the KIRK PZ130 i can not even close the flip lock back to 90 degrees .
So this is not an issue with the CUBE but with the KIRK plate .
Now the funny thing is , the NOVOFLEX Q=MOUNT can clamp all of them in a secure way . But there is no way to attach that Q=MOUNT to the cube and I do not want to do a rework to the KIRK plate .
What I can do is mount the Q=MOUNT on top of a QPL-1 and mount that onto the CUBE . This is a perfect and solid solution , but not elegant because it requires two extra piece of adapter gear .
Therefore , might be the D4 can clamp the KIRK plate . ? ? ?
Thanks for your advice .:thumbup:

dseelig

The good Paul Buff mini cycler 250 bucks 500 pops ona elinchrom 600 rx 3.3 second recycle time. The almost there canon new 400 2.8 3.5 pounds lighter . But not yet avable and if the earth quake when? The Ugly the new phase backs I still cannot afford them.