Site Sponsors

Thread: Your First Digital Camera

starfm

Your First Digital Camera

Hi all,

Was just wondering what was your first digital camera? I remember mine was as large as a brick and only had like 2 megapixel, I think it was an HP but not sure, which I could find a picture.

Then I got an Olympus Camedia and now I've got Olympus FE-240 with 5x zoom. It has some battle damage so that one will be replaced next year.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your First Digital Camera

Kodak DC260 in 1998.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the DC260! Went from there to a Nikon D1.

Cheers,

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to the Canon D30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to fight my Luddite tendencies. I didn't go digital until the Nikon D70. Nice little camera.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

1995 with a frame of 640x480. 4MB CF card.

Photo taken with it:

Short story: Were the first time in SF in our live. Wanted to charge the camera and switched the cable from notebook with the camera charger. Hosed.

First real digital camera was Nikon Coolpix 950 (1999) and then D1 finally in March 2000.

Our first ever review on the D1

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...D1_review.html

Shot with the D1 (+ 80-200mm + 2x tele adapter and freehand. ISO 400 and that was noisy).

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I have to fight my Luddite tendencies. I didn't go digital until the Nikon D70. Nice little camera.

Lisa
    Almost similar. We had a Canon S20 before that for baby pictures.

I bought the D70 mainly for UV captures and along with it, I was still using an old F2.

The D70 died a BGLOD (blinking green light of death) within an year and I had to get it fixed at cost because Nikon were denying a problem existed with the camera's design (they changed their tunes after that).

It was a great learning experience.

I never trust any reviews (don't bother to even read them) and any camera manufacturer after these experiences.

starfm

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Kodak DC260 in 1998.

<snip image>
    Thanks for posting that, I now remember it was an old Kodak camera! Me and a classmate both bought the same one, it only had 1 megapixel resolution. I also remember both being disappointed and buying a new one within a year.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon A95 in 2004. That was a really great camera. I later gave it away to a pretty girl after I bought the Fuji S3, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in use.

It could take photos of pretty girls as well

Post Thanks / Like

My first digital camera was also my first foray into near-infrared photography: An Olympus C-2020 Zoom (2.1 megapixels). The only modification needed was to place a Hoya R-72 filter over the lens. It gets used on a weekly basis.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a long pull to the present.

- My first digital image processing was done at NASA/JPL in 1984. One 1024x1024 pixel photographic image took approximately $25M worth of computers and 10 hours of processing time to render from an airborne SAR system.

- The first electronic capture camera I owned was a Sony Mavica circa 1989. Not digital but more a "video still" ... but I was able to do image processing on captured files, essentially one field of a television NTSC frame. Quality was poor (at best).

- The first digital camera I owned was an Apple QuickTake (gift from the QuickTake team when I was working at Apple) somewhere around 1994.

- The first digital camera I bought was a clip-on Palm camera, with 640x480 resolution, in and about 1995-1996. Here's a composite photo I made with it, used on my website of that time:

- My second digital camera, in 2002, was a 5Mpixel, JPEG only Sony DSC-707. I have many thousands of photos made with it, quite a few are still called for and sold occasionally.

Boys On The Breakwater - Peel, Isle of Man 2002
    Sony DSC-F707

From there, cameras and quality ascended very rapidly.

Post Thanks / Like

Canon A520, 2006.

meilicke

Mine was a Sony DSC-707 as well in 2002.

Then I think a canon s35, 4mp (along with a canon Elan II).

Then a kodak 520. What a beast, but really fun. And I could play pong on it.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon 990. The files look even crappier today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My first was a Nikon Coolpix 950, but my first "real" digital camera was the original Canon 1D.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot with the D1 (+ 80-200mm + 2x tele adapter and freehand. ISO 400 and that was noisy).

I have a copy of that photo framed and hanging on my wall, and it still looks great
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Canon eos 1d original

Post Thanks / Like

Kodak 520n in 1999, I think, or maybe 1998. It cost me $12,500 at the time. I made $2,000 the first weekend I used it. Of course, it dropped about $3,000 maybe two months after I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony DSC-P100 for me. I still have it. I bought a bunch of accessories and lenses for it that I used for various purposes, all of which ignited my curiosity for more which led me to the Panasonic G1, my first "DSLR".
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

original Ixus in late 2000

until recently still was the one that took my 'most interesting" picture on my flickr page... a wonderful take anywhere camera

Red Scooter by kevinparis, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an Olympus E-10 for my first digital camera. It had surprsingly great image quality but I quickly grew tired of the fixed lens and screw on adapters so when the Canon 10D was released, I quickly switched over.

Post Thanks / Like

First digital camera - stuff that was slapped together to work tethered with special card for russian version of Apple ][c+, back in 1990, i was on team developing software for it. Cant even remember resolution for it exactly, but i think it was like 640x480 colour, and 1024x768 b&w.. something like that.

First personal photo digital camera - 1998, Kodak DC 210+

Post Thanks / Like

I swore to myself that I would not go digital 'cause it wasn't as good as film and wouldn't be until they got to about 10Mp. I did get a Nikon 880, just to get my feet wet. Then a Nikon D1; Then went to Canon for 20D (hated the tunnel look of the viewfinder), then 5D; eventually 5Dmkii. Always had Leica film so went to M8 when it came out and now with M9. It has been a very rapid transformation for me from film, and while I sometimes get nostalgic, I'm also realistic enough to know I'm never going back.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The mindless DSLR Trek begins:

Being an idiotic early adopter with far more money than brains ... Nikon D1 in 1999, then went to PhotoPlus in Oct. 2000 and got sucked into a Canon D30 because of the faster L primes. Both cameras served me well at the time. Don't even want to remember how much that swap out cost me ... I think the 3 meg cropped frame Canon was "cheap" at $3K, which was actually a lot considering the top Nikon Pro film camera was like $900. It'd be interesting to go back to some of those images and reprocess because the software and the software user has improved so much. I still use D1X and D30 shots as wedding samples.

The best early 35mm DSLR I had was a Contax N Digital secured around 2004 or 2005 (Crikey! that was only 5 or 6 years ago!) ... only 6 meg, but the first full frame Pro spec camera. Horrible software until a bunch of us owners banded together and convinced Adobe to support it. Even more horrible battery consumption... but God, I loved that camera and the photos it produced (see attached). If Kyrocera had kept at it, that is what I'd be shooting today. Same for the Contax 645. I used an Epson RD1 along with the Contax ND ... the Epson shot better pics than an M8 IMO (see China Doll pic attached).

The first step onto the "slippery slope" leading directly to Dante's gates of Hell:

Biggest step was going MFD the minute Kodak introduced the original DCS ProBack in 2000 for my 555 ELD. Something like $15K if I recall correctly.... which was a price revolution at the time. Had to lug around a big assed Quantum battery, and any ISO was okay as long as it was 100 ... but it cut the umbilical cord to the computer and shot to a $500. one gig IBM Microdrive ... which I immediately dropped 12" to a table and had to replace : -( I still have $2K in worthless Microdrives.

That evolved into a DCS ProBack 645 which I used on a Contax 645 for many years ... it eliminated the Quantum battery.

I always thought Kodak made the wrong move leaving MFD in favor of just making sensors. The ProBack was so innovative for its time. The LCD tilted up for low level photography and the square images could be cropped in the camera to save storage space. Had they continued with the highly practical innovations, I think the MFD landscape would look differently today.

After hundreds of thousands of $$$$ trying to keep up in the digital domain, I'm not really sure the improvements have made THAT big of a difference in a real world use sort of way. Software improvements and improved skill using software has had far more impact IMHO.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My first digital camera, a little 'compact' Hewlett-Packard hp850 (released 2002), was purchased in 2003.
    It was a surprisingly good little 4 Mp camera with electronic color viewfinder providing 'through the lens' ease when framing.
    Here's a couple of pictures taken with the hp850, isn't it about time the industry shows us some real progress ...

hp850 1/595 sec. at f/3.7 ISO 200

hp850 1/552 sec. at f/6 ISO 100

and here's a portrait of the beast itself
    click for larger size

Nikon D300 Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G 1/50 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 Capture NX

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not counting Quicktake, and Canon Zapshot (early 90s) I got a Casio, probably 1996? Something like 0.3mp.

Olympus D600L, 1997, 1.3mp. A plastic beast, $1000, with serial uploads (extremely slow.) Very nice colors...

Nikon Coolpix 900, 1998ish, very nice little camera, with an oddball but useful form factor.

Nikon D1, 2000...used it with a 1Gb (how huge!) Microdrive when I shot the Formula 1 US Grand Prix that fall...

Too many to list after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple QuickTake 100: 640x480 PICT files. 1MB internal memory could hold 8 pictures!
    $750
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Post Thanks / Like

After 22 years with Nikon F3 and Pentax 67 I took the plunge into digital in 2008 with Nikon D700. I still used my favorite AI 1.4/85mm with it.

However, in 2010 I finally changed completely to Leica M9... and am extremely happy with it.