The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Computer Graphics- impact on photography

V

Vivek

One of the themes of photokina 2010 was CG (computer graphics).

Graphic artists (usually teams rather than a single photographer) basically are replacing the camera wielding, on-site photographer for many advertisements.

Is this time to change tracks and get rid of the fancy T/S lenses and all such doodahs and invest in graphics platforms and software manipulations of digital images?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I know what you mean and I think I am well along that path:

-bob

fotografz

Fundamentally, the Detroit area Photo studio scene has beed devastated by CGI. Personally, I hate most of the car photography that's done this way ... but it's a fact of life now.

I was just talking to a Pro friend of mine that took a pass on spending $2K+ for a Canon 17mm TS lens in favor of CGI corrections.

I picked up the Hassey HTS/1.5 for one basic reason ... controlled out-of-focus areas that PS still cannot do convincingly ... and for increasing DOF when doing table-top close-ups ... which CAN be done with software ... but it takes to much time when doing 20 production shots, and you don't know for sure that you got it right until complete ... where with T/S you know right away.

-Marc

V

Vivek

I know what you mean and I think I am well along that path:

-bob
Bob, That is a stunning image and an indication of what all the grey matter team you have can be coaxed to get out of a P45+ back. :)

Fundamentally, the Detroit area Photo studio scene has beed devastated by CGI. Personally, I hate most of the car photography that's done this way ... but it's a fact of life now.

I was just talking to a Pro friend of mine that took a pass on spending $2K+ for a Canon 17mm TS lens in favor of CGI corrections.

I picked up the Hassey HTS/1.5 for one basic reason ... controlled out-of-focus areas that PS still cannot do convincingly ... and for increasing DOF when doing table-top close-ups ... which CAN be done with software ... but it takes to much time when doing 20 production shots, and you don't know for sure that you got it right until complete ... where with T/S you know right away.

-Marc
Marc,

Yes, you outline the pros of movements in conventional imaging.

Computer Generated Imaging (CGI), if I understand it correctly, does not involve a camera?

fotografz

Marc,

Yes, you outline the pros of movements in conventional imaging.

Computer Generated Imaging (CGI), if I understand it correctly, does not involve a camera?
Not necessarily. Quick reference shots are still used sometimes ...or at least they used to.

-Marc