The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scammed on camera purchase

Geoff

True confessions - I got took. Its was a pretty good one, and I let down the guard and they drove away with the money. First time its ever happened, and it was well done. So the story is maybe so others will be warned.

The ad was an older one for a Hassy Arc View, with 3 lenses for a great price. It had not been sold yet. The owner was Albert Ciro in Rome, Italy. He sent pictures and was responsive. The deal was not Paypal, but through a third party shipper (Top Trans of England) who would hold the money for the 5 day inspection period. The money was wired to a Top Trans rep in Rome (Martin Allen Bergen) to hold.

Everything was on the up - Top Trans had a good web site, instructions, and tracking number (no - I didn't call them....) and the seller even declined a direct transaction in favor of using this intermediary (in hindsight, so I wouldn't have his banking info).

Needless to say, it was all phoney. Everything disappeared. At once.

So - others - please be warned. Just glad it wasn't huge $$$, but it was just enough to feel that "ooh, what a deal" and leave common sense at the door. Got played like a fish.

How does one spell foolish?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That is a shame.
unknown third party "escrow" agents have often been implicated in scams.
Sending money through paypal or moneybookers is a better way to go.
-bob

Geoff

That is a shame.
unknown third party "escrow" agents have often been implicated in scams.
Sending money through paypal or moneybookers is a better way to go.
-bob
yes, I'd second that....

Thanks for the good shoulders to cry on.

T

tokengirl

I know that feeling of anticipation when you're waiting for a cool camera to arrive, the fantasizing about what you're going to do with it... losing the money is bad, but the disappointment of not getting the groovy kit is what really stings.

edmund

I got a similar email from a lens that I inquired about on backpage.com (similar to craigslist). It just sounded fishy, so I never responded.

By: Richard Cavali

Hello, yes there is a phone number you can reach me.
But, before I give you my number let's make some things clear. The lens was brand new when I bought it. I am selling it for two simple reasons: first, I have no use for it anymore and second I could use the money.
Now, I am sure you realize the value of this lens. First, you must know I live in Athens, Greece. This means I will ship this lens if we make the deal. The shipping to US (I guess you live in US) should be around $80 more or less plus insurance (I will take care of it).
For payment, we will use bank transfer. It's the safest method in our case, even if it takes a little time. Please don't ask me to ship you the lens first, because I will not do it because of the value of the lens. I can't risk a damage during a return transport. Of course, when you will receive the lens, you will have the possibility to inspect and test it. If you don't agree to keep it, you will have the possibility to send it back with the same carrier on my expense and insurance.

These are my terms, waiting for your mail