The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Precision Camera Repair

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Every once in awhile you get into a situation that you run into people that just want to do good work and please there customer. Precision Camera Repair is just such a place. I had a IR conversion done awhile ago and they did a really nice job on that. But a little over a week ago my new Sony 850 with Zeiss zoom and the Sony 58 flash took a bar stool dive to the tile floor. Now i was not at a bar per say but at a party that my wife was attending. Actually her high school friends from many moons ago. Anyway they wanted a group photo and of course my wife threw my name in the hat.

Well my Sony was sitting on a chair ready to shoot and somehow took a dive and landed squarely on the flash itself and the hot shoe on the camera split apart. I was actually able to hold the flash on and still get the shot. So next day I call Sony and apparently they are not doing repairs right now as they are putting some new system in place and they are referring all repairs to Precision Camera Repair. So these folks are just slammed with Sony repairs and also the holiday rush.

So last week i filled out the proper forms shipped the cam for a wednesday deliver. I contacted Mark Soares which I have communicated the IR conversion with and have to say there e-mail system was not being updated and customer service under the gun to get all this work out . Mark took the time to personally go check on my repair and see that this cam is right now fixed and on its way back home to me. This level of customer care is something as a working Pro you just have a very hard time finding someone that takes the time to make sure the repair is being handled and expediting the camera through the system to get me back in business for a large gig coming right up. I just thought this level of service and dedication to customer service needed to be said and i am very grateful to them for getting me back online.

They do all sorts of service and I know many here have used them for IR conversions.

Here is a link http://www.precisioncamera.com/

Don Libby

Totally agree w/you Guy on Precision Camera. It's rare to find a company these days that has employees willing to go that extra step to provide customer service. There's others out there all the same it's still rare.

I'm thinking we need to shine a light on the companies that still know what good customer service is all about.

Good to hear about your experience, Guy- I've made note of them for future reference.

They should think about renaming that street they're located on- bad vibes :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a final report camera is back and they ran all kinds of adjustments on it to get it back to full spec. So looks like new again. Excellent service

Highly recommended. Based on recommendations from others, I sent my 500 f/8 there to clean up some stains from condensation on the primary mirror, they sent it back as good as new(and I've had it since new). I'm thinking of sending my APO lens to them to have it checked out as the MFA is all over the map.

martyman

I just wanted to share this:
This morning, I got my newly converted (IR 715nm) Panasonic Lumix G1 back from Precision Camera. I was bowled over by their fast service and considerate communications. They not only managed to get my camera converted in a timely fashion, despite the recent blizzard that hit their area, they topped everything off by sending it back via UPS Blue Label (2 day service from coast to coast), at no extra charge. Very considerate, since I can hardly wait to get out into the beautiful sunlit green grasses around Point Reyes with my new rig!

I'm particularly grateful to Mark Soares. Early on, he encouraged me to send the G1 to Precision by promising that he'd do what he could to expedite the conversion. He answered my emails promptly and kept his word. Those guys go the extra mile! They put a big smile on my face this morning! After I take some pics around here, I'll report back with the results. (Hope I can keep up with my hot-rod camera.)