The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NY Resolution for GetDPI: Ban the "F" word

emr

I don't think there's much wrong with this forum. The discussions tend to be very polite and constructive. I suspect it has to do with most posters being adults, both chronologically and mentally.

But on some other forums I'd ban the T word: trolls and trolling. People on many forums want everybody to agree with them and anybody disagreeing is immediately labeled as a troll. In my eyes calling somebody a troll has become the new Nazi card: use it and you lose right away.

emr, I agree that Godwin's law is overdue for an update. There is one forum that I now consider almost 100% read-only for exactly that reason.

gogopix

Subscriber
emr, I agree that Godwin's law is overdue for an update. There is one forum that I now consider almost 100% read-only for exactly that reason.
Hmm, good point. I (and Guy and Jack) have seen other forums deteriorate from the tension between the owners and members. Here, a major credit to Guy and Jack is their balanced view. But freedom also has its obligations, and a bit of 'self policing' is all we are talking about.

Just being aware that certain terms can be hurtful helps all- we can all slip, and say things we don't mean in the way interpreted, or get too wound up (moi aussi!! :D )

Troll and fanboy are certainly read different from gearslut (most proudly announce that they are that, again, moi aussi! :ROTFL: )

Anyway, three cheers for all of us, and let us not EVER take ourselves TOOOO seriously. :salute:

best all

Victor