The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NY Resolution for GetDPI: Ban the "F" word

gogopix

Subscriber
The word I would like to see banned is

FANBOY

I think it would do wonders to lower the tension level of many discussions.

Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous New Year

Victor

Terry

Gheez - can you name a photography forum on the internet with fewer fanboys (and girls) than GetDPI? This is the tamest place around.

Sorry to be so serious in my answer but I don't really think the original post was in jest.

Diane B

I agree. I don't think that is ever, or rarely, used here. So many are multi system users or interested in more than one system. I think a lot of us read forums here that aren't related to our own current systems. i know I enjoy the MF, Sony, small sensor, etc. And none of thise are what I currently shoot with. Its the curiosity and interest in what others are doing that I love about getdpi, and most of all the images themselves and the people that made them. .

T

tetsrfun

Gheez - can you name a photography forum on the internet with fewer fanboys (and girls) than GetDPI? This is the tamest place around.

Sorry to be so serious in my answer but I don't really think the original post was in jest.
I agree, this site is an oasis from the very tedious "fan-personism" seen on every other site.

Steve

jonoslack

No I agree with you. It's not used much here.

BUT

I completely agree with Victor. It's a term of abuse, almost as bad as "with due respect". Horrible. It's only designed to wind people up.

If it were my forum it is the ONLY word I would ban.

So, Victor, HOORAY. I quite agree. It doesn't even have the merit of earthiness.

Have a great holiday everyone!

Don Libby

Thought to myself that I had never used the word in any context so just in case the word/term is expunged in 2011 I now have the overwhelming urge ....

FANBOY

:D

There, I said it!

Happy Holidays to all

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But I'm a fanboy! I'm a Nikolympenon fanboy, and I have a Panasonic too. And a Contax. And they are all the best cameras in the world, however terrible the photos I take with them may look. Very terrible sometimes.

Will I be banned together with the word then?

jonoslack

But I'm a fanboy! I'm a Nikolympenon fanboy, and I have a Panasonic too. And a Contax. And they are all the best cameras in the world, however terrible the photos I take with them may look. Very terrible sometimes.
:ROTFL:
Apart from ownership There is absolutely no truth in any of that statement
happy Christmas!

kdphotography

The derisive of meaning of fanboy here at GetDPI has been minimized significantly by the number of member gearsluts. :D

Ben Rubinstein

Bob, admit it mate, you don't come close to some of the gearholics on this forum, sometimes all I have to do is pull out the popcorn and settle down for the drama, it's hugely entertaining for this penniless guy!

Actually scratch that, on diet, no popcorn, heck but dieting is boring!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would be really nervous if I had to ban the words gear, gear slut, gear whore and GAS. Better off just turning the lights off and go play in another sandbox. LOL

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I thought the thread title stood for "New York Resolution...."

Never mind.....

Ok. Actual resolution. Since I'm putting off my dream of 40+ MP in order to have a carry anywhere kit,
I'm going to carry it everywhere.

(already had 35, 50, and 75 Summicrons, so it wasn't the economic disaster it could've been)

Happy New Year,

Matt

gogopix

Subscriber
Interesting Comments;

Thank you Jono - maybe better said than my OP.

When a word is used LESS it usually has MORE shock value. If it were used as much as gearslut it probably wouldn't have such a pejorative edge.

We are all 'fans' of our products (or else we post on B&S and let someone else be a fan of the stuff we sell :D )

...but, it's a new year and what I was suggesting is that we all try to leave the negatives in 2010...

best regards
Victor