The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GetDPI members: Your New Year Photo Plans

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thought this maybe a fun topic to explore with members here. So here we go another year has passed and another year of learning more in your photography skills. Guess the question coming from a instructor of workshops is how some of the knowledge that you may have gained here at GetDPI through threads and posts are you going to apply that this coming year and what specifically have you learned new that you plan to apply in your work. This is not about gear per say but maybe from images you have seen or techniques that may have come across on the forum that caught your eye and want to try. Have fun and yes this is a test. :ROTFL::thumbs::angel::salute::thumbup::D

Ben Rubinstein

This will be the year when I went (almost) all prime, I've been that way for the past couple of months but it will all come together this year through the firing line of a summer wedding season.

I'm tapping into a new market for my wedding photography, rather excited, looking to go respectably higher end than I've been to date.

This year I intend to publish a book with my (already much published) father featuring my pictures and his essays inspired by those pictures. Watch this space!

This is the year when I start to exhibit my work which you have all been so patiently helping me with bit by bit. I have one exhibition lined up, another hopefully sorted out soon and am hoping to get my work out there and in the public eye. Many thanks to Jim Collum whose inspiration, example and help has been so instrumental in this.

This year I'm having 3 operations, one elbow, one wrist, one eye. The winter season is going to be pretty quiet, wish me luck!

Oh and no I didn't forget, Feb 1st is the due date for my 2nd child!!!!!!!!!!!

Godfrey

My 2011 plans are pretty simple:

- Make lots of photos.
- Make a few videos.
- Do a few lectures.
- Teach a few workshops.
- Publish a couple of books.
- Learn video capture and editing.

Writing notes for the first lecture (Jan?) and workshop (Feb) now.

sagar

This will be year when I am migrating from gearhead to photography. In 2010, I mostly tried most of the major camera relased doing much less shooting. Thanks to GetDPI I learned a lot about different digital formats (SS, 4/3, APSC) in real sense and could do soul searching to find out what I like to do (in terms of photography)

For 2011 I plan to stick to a camera (or two) and do shooting untill my gear itself becomes the limitation

jonoslack

Well
I'm not going to buy any more camera gear - stick with what I've got.
I'm going to trim down my library from 55,000 images to 1,000 perfectly pp'd images.
I'm going to do a gallery of pictures for each month.

. . . . . . . ....

That's what I say every year:ROTFL:

. . . . . .

Actually, I'm going to buy a Noctilux and a 24 'lux, and try and shoot more pics of people, my library will become even more chaotic, hopefully, hopefully, I'll improve just a bit, and spend less time pontificating on photo forums :ROTFL:

Terry

I've done a major league paring back of the gear I own and want to simply concentrate on making images with the tech camera. I have a lot to learn on both image capture, processing and printing.

Don't worry, I will still probably buy and sell some other more moderately priced gear as I do really enjoy trying out different cameras and other tech.

Knorp

No special plans here I'm afraid for 2011 :eek:
Oh well alright then, I did order the new noct, just biding my time ... :p

darr

1) Thin out some large format film gear.
2) Thin out some darkroom gear.
3) Begin the project I started (in the mind) in 2007! :sleep006:
4) Start developing book for TVIs (teachers for the visually impaired).
5) Contribute more to this forum!!

David Schneider

Guess the question coming from a instructor of workshops is how some of the knowledge that you may have gained here at GetDPI through threads and posts are you going to apply that this coming year and what specifically have you learned new that you plan to apply in your work. This is not about gear per say but maybe from images you have seen or techniques that may have come across on the forum that caught your eye and want to try.
Guy,

As a working studio owner, it's more a gear thing with me. GetDPI has helped in that regard as a place to do some basic research, see some obvious prejudices, and have some questions answered.

For coming year need to see if workflow of medium format can be integrated during my busy senior season or just keep it for longer sessions and families/groups.

cjlacz

I'm more of a lurker. 2010 I think has been the year I've transitioned away from being a gear head. I couldn't afford all the cool stuff, but I'm content with what I have and realize the problem is more the nut behind the lens then the camera. I don't plan on selling of my E-30 and lenses, but want to transition to something a little more compact for most shooting.

I just picked up a GF1 + 20mm in a great deal and got a OM2s+50mm for Christmas. I plan to go back to the basics more this year and shoot more film. A friend introduced me to a local photography school (http://anthony.jp/) I'm excited about attending. I'm hoping to improve my eye and receive some good critiques. (hopefully give them too)

My gear acquisitions will probably revolve around the camera rather than new bodies or lenses. Support, filters, maybe lighting and pano. Yesterday I got my new BH-30 and RSS plates, so it's a early start to 2011.

I'll try to post photos here and hopefully I can show some growth by this time next year.

Guy Mancuso

Just to chime in from some of the answers here , I do see a lot of growth and new ideas people are willing to try. Actually was really hoping to hear some of this, its really awesome. I can't tell you all how nice it is to see that being here has helped some in these photo endeavors. It actually helps Jack and I realize this place is paying off for the community and not just another forum. I like to grade ourselves from time to time just to see how effective this place is.

Guy Mancuso

On a personal level and honestly with all the years doing photography you get into a certain comfort zone and don't move forward as fast as you did when you first started out but after just finishing renewing a 8 year old website which was way to freaking long I'm starting to feel my juices come back some. Watch out I'm dangerous when I get serious. LOL

Just kidding but I am feeling fresher after doing that and for me it is more about going after new clients and keep delivering at the highest level that I can produce. In all seriousness I get like a kid in a candy store when I actually have camera in hand and shooting something I really like. I never lost that enthusiasm its getting their that is the hard part sometime. Life gets in the way and 2010 was a horrible year for my immediate family with health issues. But that is looking better now so hoping 2011 will be a banner year on all levels. Have to admit this place was helpful with getting me through 2010. I just love the people here.

Don Libby

We're returning to the Jackson Hole area later in 2011 this time it'll be for 62 days starting early Oct.

S

Shelby Lewis

Some wonderful thoughts here.

When I tragically lost my Mom last year, I made a longish post in the MF forum about returning to a slower, more methodical way of working... especially as it relates to interacting with my subjects for headshots and portraits. A sort of "have a meal and a glass of wine, shoot a little, and then some coffe" approach to my sessions. I also planned on going MF Digital.

Well... a year of moving, heading back to school... grieving... it just didn't happen.

I've found that the gear I have is what I need right now, so my plan is to pick up what I wanted to start last year. I'm in a good place right now, emotionally, and I look forward to shooting with purpose... but with my current gear (and a few well devised lens purchases :ROTFL:)

I also plan on backpacking solo a bunch this year and trying to get my "landscape a day" project going again... even if it's only a landscape a week (or month :D:D). It, too, faltered after my Mom's death. I'm so excited about this upcoming year and what it holds!

ETA: Oh... and redo my long neglected blog!

darr

... Life gets in the way and 2010 was a horrible year for my immediate family with health issues. But that is looking better now so hoping 2011 will be a banner year on all levels. Have to admit this place was helpful with getting me through 2010. I just love the people here.
Sorry to hear that Guy!

I had a scary health issue in 2009 that got solved, (thank goodness), and I am feeling better than I have in years! I made the medium format digital upgrade in 2010, so I am thinking 2011 will be a year that I should be more productive in. We'll see ...:cool:

I want to say "thank you" to you and Jack for developing this site. It is a very resourceful site with a bunch of knowledgeable and friendly people. I initially visited here after reading one of Jack's postings at the LF Forum when I was thinking about upgrading to digital and I am glad I did. I also want to thank the moderators for their time and help they give unselfishly.

Have a Happy Everyone!
Darr

I want to get out and shoot a lot more in the coming year. Thankfully the crazy pace at work is being mitigated with new people coming on board to take up some of the load, so it's looking hopeful. :)