Site Sponsors

Thread: If you decide to become minimalist photographer...

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to become minimalist photographer...

Some food for thought. Imagine you are thinking about your camera bag on new year eve and decide to become minimalist photographer, meaning you are going to have only ONE Camera and not more than THREE lenses for entire year.

If you are a pro, forget that for a moment and think you just shoot for the sake of photography.

Which camera/lenses from your bag you would keep, selling everything else. Remember, you can't buy a new gear/lenses and can keep only one camera with max 3 lenses.

Let's see your creative imgaination

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: If you decide to become minimalist photographer...

I'd Keep my M5 with CV 28/1.9 ASPH, and ZM 50/1.5 C-Sonnar.
    I have no other lenses that fit my M5,

so, I guess I am selling my 2 Pentax film bodies with a 28/2 Vivatar, Pentax M 40mm f/2.8 Pancake and selling my Panasonic G1 with 20/1.7

Post Thanks / Like

That's a toughie. I might choose to be really minimalist, and just use my Fuji GW690III (fixed lens medium format rangefinder). It would force me to concentrate on nothing but film, and as a side effect I'd get the super quality of MF.

That would be very tough, but it would be an interesting way to go.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup a toughie...

Well not exactly one camera but I would keep my tech camera with one lens (35mm) and then either m4/3 or NEX with one fast versatile prime (like the 20MM) and one zoom (like the 14-140).

If you insisted I go to one camera and just a three lenses then it would probably just like above with a fast portrait length/macro lens (45macro but would like a little faster).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well in my Sony kit there is only 3 24-70, 135 and 200
    In my Phase kit there are 4 a 28,55,80 and 150. I would have to sit on the 80 if that was the case and if i had to go to one system it be the Phase. Actually in reality I already have a minimalist setup at least compared to some gear sluts around here. Names withheld to protect the accused. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easy for me. If you don't count IR, I only use one camera with one lens - all the time. (For IR, I need a second dedicated body, but I still use the same one lens!) It's a Nikon D300 with the 18-200 DX VR lens. It's enough for me.

Lisa

AlRohrer

Canon 5D MkII, 35 f/2, 85 f/1.8, and 200 f/2.8L. Light, compact, reasonably inexpensive, and produce excellent images. Before adding another lens, I'd opt for a second 5D MkII.
    Al Rohrer

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New system for me is M9 with 21, 35, and 50. I will carry it everywhere and use it constantly. As long as my wife is willing to use the Canon with 70-200/2.8L to get the kids sledding, that counts as one minimalist camera, right?

(we need an emoticon for "Oy!" )

Matt

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Surprisingly easy (maybe because my brain isn't able to understand the consequences of such a dramatic move this early in the morning ):
    GH1 with Panasonic 7-14 f/4, OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 and Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4.

However, if I was going to choose among lenses not received yet, the Zeiss would probably have to go (very nice lens, but heavy and too much CA), replaced by the Voigtländer 25mm f/0.95 (I'm on the waiting list).

Hopefully, selling the rest of my gear would make me an instant millionaire, which would again help paying for the tranquilizers needed after the loss of all the lovely glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you decide to become minimalist photographer ...

My setup would be my good old, trusty year 2007 Nikon D300 and some primes.

• Nikon D300 (discontinued - and cheap, used)
    • AI-S Nikkor 2/28mm (manual focus, discontinued ages ago - and cheap, used of course)
    • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G (autofocus - very cheap, even new)
    • AF-S Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G (autofocus - expensive)

My main point being that I enjoy photography much more when using fair priced quality tools, instead of luxury items that tend to make me feel bad.

(However, in a not too distant future, like 2012 , I may allow myself a bigger and brighter viewfinder, i.e. an FX sensor based camera.
    The viewfinder means a lot, I think.)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Given that I only own 2 cameras and 3 lenses it wouldn't be that difficult. However, as a pro, I couldn't begin to consider having only one body, madness not to have backup even for personal work.

You could have a 1Ds mkIII with a 16-35L, 50L and 70-200 f2.8 L II. I'd hardly call it minimalist however!

Neither would it be intelligent to knock off my 8mm fisheye if it happens to be my main tool for virtual tour 360 degree photography.

I think minimalist is a mindset not a count of equipment. It's using the correct tool for the correct job. If you have several uses or jobs for you equipment then each time you may need to take a different set of tools. Minimalist is not taking all of them each time.

If your goal is to learn how to photograph better with a single camera and lens then you choose to only photograph with that, the concept of limiting your choice just for the sake of limitation seems to be upside down to me. You choose what you want to achieve not that you let your minimalism choose the type of photography you can achieve.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Minimalist, I thought that would be ONE lens only.

Now, for the luxury outfit of three lenses (that I already own).

I only use three lenses on my 8x10, all of which are stellar, so I'm not going to go into LF in this thread. On my D700:

Sigma 50/1.4 - more than any other lens I have used, this one creates beautiful art.
    AF-Nikkor 80-200/2.8D - for the utility it brings. There are newer, better versions than this vintage 1997 workhorse, but it's the one I own.

The wide end is trickier - I'll have to go with Nikon 20/2.8D.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Shelby Lewis

I shoot weddings with ONLY a canon 5Dii plus a 35, 50, and 85 (and backups that don't get used). Works for me... you pick how fast the lenses are according to your needs/budget. My (outdated) website is almost exclusively filled with shots from those focal lengths.

If I had it to do again, I might go 24mm, 50mm, 135mm... but I see the world just fine with the 3 lenses I own.

Zooms? Don't go there.

The great thing about primes is that (for me, mind you) I know immediately what each focal length will "see" before I put it on the camera. Helps in event work immeasurably. You get a good workout zooming with your feet all the time too.

Post Thanks / Like

M9 and WATE, 24mm Summilux and 50mm Summilux. The three I use the most anyhow.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Minimizing my gear was sort of a new years plan Sold a few things already and more to go!

I've actually considered putting away D700/F6 and associated lenses for a while.

Down to Leica M3/6/7, GF1/H2, Mamiya 7II.

I guess Leica M7 and 35 cron v4, GF1 and 20/1.7, and the Mamiya ( I'm a noob Mamiya user ) How's that for minimalist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sagar View Post
    Some food for thought. Imagine you are thinking about your camera bag on new year eve and decide to become minimalist photographer, meaning you are going to have only ONE Camera and not more than THREE lenses for entire year.
    I could pare my kit down to the Olympus E-5 + 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 and 50mm f/2 Macro, plus the EC-14 1.4x teleconverter. That's a good deal of flexibility, probably more than I really need. I only own four lenses and a teleconverter anyway.

Of course, if I really want to go very very minimalist and have a very light bag, I'll just wait for the Fuji X100. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: If you decide to become minimalist photographer...

...only ONE Camera and not more than THREE lenses for entire year.
    Not an easy choice, but...

My Nikon D300S with Nikon 10-24mm, Tamron 18-270mm, and Nikon 105mm Micro.

If I can't capture it with those, I need help. But I probably need help anyway.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think I have ever owned more than 3 lenses for the same camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the 35mm/DSLR world I always joked that my perfect three lens kit is a 20, 85 and 400 based on ten years of exif data, but I don't really call that minimalist. With film when I needed to travel light it was a Canonet QL17 or a Fuji GSW690III. When I was shooting with Canon, a 10D with a 17-40 and 85 packed in a Kinesis topload latched on the front of my Camelbak and a small tripod was a typical hiking/snoeshoing setup. I have visions of doing the same thing with a tech camera and MFDB one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for sharing your minimal kit

What I find interesting is not a single person considered m4/3

tokengirl

Imagine you are thinking about your camera bag on new year eve and decide to become minimalist photographer, meaning you are going to have only ONE Camera and not more than THREE lenses for entire year.
    I can't even imagine it, never mind actually doing it.

Signed,
    #1 Film Slut

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to the party, but I would choose GH2, 20/1.7, 45/2.8, and 25/0.95.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really? My English apparently needs improvement

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 5dMK2 with Sigma 12-24, Canon 24-105, Canon 70-200f2.8ISII and 1.4x or 2x converter. That would hold me for the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I contribute thousands of images to agencies each year. I only own two lenses and two bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Three lenses is not minimalist.

Anyway, if I could have only one camera, it would be an M-Leica - any of M4, M4-2, M4-P or M6 classic would do. The lens would be 35mm, with a maximum aperture of at least f/2. There are many lenses that meet that specification that I could live with.

If I could add only one other item to that it would be a view camera in whole-plate format with either a 210mm or a 240mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, this is surprisingly easy! For me, it's Leica M9, WATE (or 18 if the 'tri is exempt), cron 35 ASPH, cron 75. Fits in about half the bottom compartment of my Kata DR-466i day/carryon pack... Or with the camera around the neck and a lens in each coat pocket.

duckrider

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Three lenses is not minimalist.

Anyway, if I could have only one camera, it would be an M-Leica - any of M4, M4-2, M4-P or M6 classic would do. The lens would be 35mm, with a maximum aperture of at least f/2. There are many lenses that meet that specification that I could live with.

If I could add only one other item to that it would be a view camera in whole-plate format with either a 210mm or a 240mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S.
    d..m You were earlier!

M4 (orM6) & Summicron 35mm, thats all!
    If You'd press me to take a second lens, I'd prfer a Hologon 15mm

Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Well, 3 lenses is not minimalist really, and a zoom is a compromise (though sometimes very useful), so I would go with a light weight setup:

Leica M8 with Zeiss 18 Distagon, CV35 Classic Skopar, CV75 Heliar

or

Sony A900 with 16mm Fisheye, Minolta 50/1.7, Sony 85/2.8

In fact I have already started to walk about with one camera and one prime lens, and no bag. Totally liberating feeling.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

LOL other than the three or four posters who did, that is.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I like shooting at closer range than 0.7M, so that rules out the Leica M as an only camera for me! So I'd choose to take my Sony NEX5 + 18-55 zoom and 16mm pancake. Both are non-stellar at macro range (corners are ALL bokeh) but at this point they're known qualities, the NEX has a very good sensor, and the pancake lens makes it pocketable, so this is very much a camera I can use every day.

Post Thanks / Like

GH2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/2.8. I wish the 14 was a 12. I am looking forward to seeing this new µ4/3 25/1.4; then the lineup would be 14 (or 12!), the new 25/1.4, and the 45.

Honestly, I am tired of lugging the D3s and all the excellent lenses that I use on it. I have ordered the X100 too...

Side note to Gus: do you really only have the Phase, 4 lenses, and the Sony + 2? You are a reformed man—that is Mancuso minimalism, right there!

Adam Marelli

I've always said if I had to take one lens it would be a 35mm (f 1.4 or f 2) and I would take an M9 and a bag full of SD cards.

My lens kit would be 21 Summilux, 35 Summilux, 90 Summicron.

Good question to pose. One step further would be how many people have actually done this?

Best-Adam

http://www.adammarelliphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adam's comment on a 35 as the only lens has some bearing on Fuji's new upcoming X100 compact - it looks like an interesting candidate for a purist minimalist photographer.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with Zeiss 24/2, 85/1.4, 135/1.8 and the a900 or its successor. In order to have a backup, I'd opt for the 35/2 on the Fuji x100. (I would also try to finagle a way not to swap out any of the Zeiss lenses for the Fuji, however, so I guess I'm not that much of a minimalist quite yet.)

There are only two problems: the x100's not out yet and it'd take a lot of work at the gym before I'd be up to carrying the Sony/Zeiss combo around all day!

So, for the time being, I do plan to just start with the x100 (absent horrible glitches) and then, if I need to, just rent the Sony for short term use with my lovely Minolta 35/2 and 85/1.4 glass.

Finally, while I do believe that it's easier to develop muscle memory and intuitive photography by limiting one's tools for at least a while, I also think Ben's really wise to say, "You choose what you want to achieve not that you let your minimalism choose the type of photography you can achieve."

HCB and others, of course, found no contradiction between Ben's terms, but let them merge with spectacular results!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Was trying to work out who this Ben was who wrote all this complicated and complex stuff. Turns out it was me. 2am and a baby who won't settle rather muddles the mind...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Chamonix 4x5 and 135mm f/5.6 APO Symmar. I'll pass on the other two lenses for more film holder space. This was main shooting bag for 3 years.

tetsrfun

203 FE with 40mm f/4, 80mm f/2.8 and 110 f/2. Film and digital backs.

Steve

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Contax 645 and 80/2 Planar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    203 FE with 40mm f/4, 80mm f/2.8 and 110 f/2. Film and digital backs.

Steve
    I take mine back. Ditto, though I'd go with a 300/2.8 instead of the 80mm. What the hell, it's dreaming anyway, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    GH1 with Panasonic 7-14 f/4, OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 and Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4.
    I decided to give it a try, so the last six weeks, this has been my travel setup. Works fine. I might ad the Voigtländer 25mm, and possibly change the 85/1.4 for the 85/2.8 or OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 micro (the 85/1.4 is very heavy and I rarely use it wide open). For the travel photography that I do, I have hardly felt restricted by this choice at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Travel kit:- GF1, Schneider 25mm 0.95, Contax G 45mm f2 and Kern-Switar 75mm f1.9
    All fits very nicely in a Contax G bag and weighs nothing.
    Local shoots:- 5DMKII Zeiss N 24-85mm, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would use:

GH2 (or GF1), 14-140mm, 20mm (or 25mm Nokton) and 45mm Macro
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I think I would use:

GH2 (or GF1), 14-140mm, 20mm (or 25mm Nokton) and 45mm Macro
    I would be content with the S2 and the S35 and S70 lenses

Woody

GradyPhilpott

I currently have three lenses, the Nikkor 18-200mmVRII, the 18-55mmVR, and the 35mm/1.8. I also have a Nikon D3000.

In one week, I will pick up my D7000 and I believe that if the bottom fell out of everything, the D7000 and those lenses would do me well. In fact, the D3000 would do me well, but I expect the D7000 to do me better.

I've only read reviews of the D7000, but based on the good and the bad news a la the "experts," I expect to be thrilled to death.

I also expect that I will add one longer and one wider zoom, although I don't know what they will be, as yet.

So, in keeping with the intent of the thread, the set up listed is one I could live with quite easily.
    Last edited by GradyPhilpott; 21st February 2011 at 16:04. Reason: coherence