The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kodachrome

stephengilbert

The final days at the last Kodachrome lab, in Kansas: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/30/us/30film.html?_r=1&hp

"In the span of minutes this week, two .. visitors arrived [at the lab]. The first was a railroad worker who had driven from Arkansas to pick up 1,580 rolls of film that he had just paid $15,798 to develop. The second was an artist who had driven directly here after flying from London to Wichita, Kan., on her first trip to the United States to turn in three rolls of film and shoot five more before the processing deadline."

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Never to taste Kodachrome again
pity it had a unique rendering but was in some contexts a pain to use.
-bob

stephengilbert

Some great examples of Kodachrome pix here: http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...odachrome-is-dead-long-live-kodachrome/68696/ (including an old movie of Florida, images of times and things as dead as the film).

I think there's clearly an element of nostalgia in the love of Kodachrome. "First introduced in 1935, the death of the film stock has generated an outpouring of emotion from several generations of photographers, for whom the particular hues generated by Kodachrome define the look of midcentury America."

dseelig

What a few of us knew of kodachrome was it was a great film for rock concerts, as long as you had a fast 85 . My most famous concert photo of Bruce Springsteen from the Born in The USA Tour on the first page of my web site is an example www.davidseelig.com
It was shot with a 85 f1.2 canon on a f1n 1/250 f1.2 wide open.
RIP Kodachrome