The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Choosing a nice SLR

C

Cfoord

Hey There,

This is officially my first post. I'm From South Africa, and I have been looking all around the web for a decent quality camera for a reasonable price. I have 3 choices so far, but I cant seem to make up my mind. I stumbled on these forums, and I hope someone can help me choose.

I can afford one of the following:

1) Sony Alpha DSLR-SLT-A33 Digital Camera W/18-55mm Lens

2) Nikon D3100 SLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR Lens

3) Canon EOS 500D SLR Digital Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

I am looking for the best value for money, and something that will last for a couple of years. I am starting photography classes in 3 weeks time, have been dying to do it, but had to save up enough for a decent camera.

Soooooooo excited!

(used to have a Sony point-and-click 8MP camera and it got me addicted to taking photos, now i wanna up the bar a bit)

I appreciate the help and advise! :salute:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Welcome to tbe addiction. You will no doubt get different reactions from people who are partial to Nikon or Canon or Sony. What matters is whether you are comfortable using the camera. Pick one. Buy from a source that allows returns. Take photos. Enjoy it. If you are not comfortablevwithnit, return it and try another. Or go to a shop that carries them all and try them out on the spot. If you are planning to keep this for a year or two, it really won't make a difference. If you are planning on adding lenses in the interim, I'd probably go with Canon or Nikon because there are lots of used lenses always out there. What is important is to just fire away. You will learn more by doing than anything else.

kevinparis

As a platform... I would probably choose Canon - I did for the simple reason that the Canon allowed me, with adapters, to add old sometimes inexpensive manual focus lenses from all sorts of manufacturers.

all the cameras will do a very good job image and handling wise...

K

C

Cfoord

Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate the help. I checked the cameras out, and pirce wise I decided to go with the Nikon, for the simple reason, I get a 55-200mm lens extra for the same price. Also got a nice 8gb extreme III SD card. Should be enough for a photo or 2... lol. I just hope it gets delivered today, as I'm realllly excited to start!

Terry

Conratulations! Enjoy it....please post your impressions and pictures. Enjoy your photo studies.

C

Cfoord

Ok, So I spent my first weekend with my new baby. Here is my quick review of the Nikon D3100. Lets start at the beginning. :lecture:

I recieved the box, ripped the packaging open and found everything nicely arranged. The manuals, quick guides and accesories all nicely seperated. Not much clutter. Slammed the camera together and rushed out to take my first few photos. (Please bear in mind, this is the first time I ever use a SLR camera, I'm used to simple digital cameras).

View attachment 39209

View attachment 39210

View attachment 39211

The camera is so easy to use. It boasts an auto mode which does everything for you. But sometimes it gets a little irretating when the light around you is a litte dark, like standing in the shade of a tree, then the flash will pop-up. But, this can easily be turned off. It has a built in "GUIDE" mode, which basically does all the settings for you. You simply select what you are taking a photo of from a list, go to the quick settings menu where you can then set the ISO if you want to, change flash settings etc. and there you go, all done. For the advanced user, there is the Manual mode, and several other modes, including one where you can save your favorite settings, and access it by the touch of a button.

All in all, money well spent. Amazing for people starting out in photography, really! I will gladly reccomend this camera to everyone looking to start with a SLR. Its will also keep the advanced users happy with amazing features and the general feel of the camera. In my eyes, this is a great buy!

G

GradyPhilpott

I like your choice.

The D3100 will give you a lot of room to grow with its improved performance over the D3000.

However, don't kid yourself. You'll probably be in the market for a new camera in about a year, not because there's anything wrong with your camera, but because you'll long for features that the bigger, more expensive cameras have.

And there's also that gear fetish factor, too. Buying your first camera is a lot like buying your first Rolex.

You think your new Rolex will be the watch for a lifetime and it is, but before long, you will be convinced that the one thing in the world you need most is another Rolex.

I wish the D3100 was around when I bought my first entry-level camera, because the D3100 can do so much more than the D3000.

Also, it's a Nikon. :D

Last edited: