Site Sponsors

Thread: mysterious lens problem...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mysterious lens problem...

Hello all-

My Nikon 18-200 DX VR lens (a reasonably popular lens model) has developed a problem, and I wonder whether anyone here has seen anything like it and what they did about it.

The lens appears to work fine, *except* that it can't focus on moderate to far distances when zoomed to a focal length of about 100 mm or more. Auto-focus fails, and, when I try manual focus, it seems to want the focus ring at something beyond inifinity (in other words, focus appears best at infinity, but is still not far enough to be in proper focus). Focus works fine at shorter focal lengths, and fine at the longer focal lengths when pointed at something nearby. This is a new behavior that just started today.

Has anyone here seen anything like this? Any ideas what's going on? Any suggestions on what to do about it? Would it probably be cost-effective to send it to Nikon to fix it?

Any useful comments would be appreciated...

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: mysterious lens problem...

I have nothing helpful concerning a quick fix, but I can describe my recent experience with nikon service.
    I sent them a 50mm f1.4 that suffered by lens element separation. The repair estimate was $125.00, I approved it and the lens was returned to me 10 days after my approval. It functions perfectly.
    I have to ask if you have another lens in this focal length range, or a second body, that you cound try to absolutely isolate the fault to the lens.
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bob -
    I tried the lens on two different bodies, and it has the same problem (100% reproducible) on both. I had someone else point out to me that it's probably still under warranty, so I'll dig up my old invoice and send it in to Nikon for warranty repair. It's good to know that you had a good experience with them.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like your lens has been banged up something is physically out of alignment.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com