The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

mysterious lens problem...

Lisa

Hello all-

My Nikon 18-200 DX VR lens (a reasonably popular lens model) has developed a problem, and I wonder whether anyone here has seen anything like it and what they did about it.

The lens appears to work fine, *except* that it can't focus on moderate to far distances when zoomed to a focal length of about 100 mm or more. Auto-focus fails, and, when I try manual focus, it seems to want the focus ring at something beyond inifinity (in other words, focus appears best at infinity, but is still not far enough to be in proper focus). Focus works fine at shorter focal lengths, and fine at the longer focal lengths when pointed at something nearby. This is a new behavior that just started today.

Has anyone here seen anything like this? Any ideas what's going on? Any suggestions on what to do about it? Would it probably be cost-effective to send it to Nikon to fix it?

Any useful comments would be appreciated...

Lisa

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have nothing helpful concerning a quick fix, but I can describe my recent experience with nikon service.
I sent them a 50mm f1.4 that suffered by lens element separation. The repair estimate was $125.00, I approved it and the lens was returned to me 10 days after my approval. It functions perfectly.
I have to ask if you have another lens in this focal length range, or a second body, that you cound try to absolutely isolate the fault to the lens.
thanks
-bob

Lisa

Hi Bob -
I tried the lens on two different bodies, and it has the same problem (100% reproducible) on both. I had someone else point out to me that it's probably still under warranty, so I'll dig up my old invoice and send it in to Nikon for warranty repair. It's good to know that you had a good experience with them.

Lisa

Lars

Sounds like your lens has been banged up :( something is physically out of alignment.