Site Sponsors

Thread: Shooting from a boat curiosity

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shooting from a boat curiosity

Can someone tell me about the logistics of shooting from a large boat as in the Antarctic workshop tours?
    I see lots of low light images and wonder how it's possible, what sorts of shutter speeds one could hope for at best? No plans, but doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Shooting from a boat curiosity

Also always been interested in this one.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Alas Maties, it's just like shootin any place else on Planet Earth. If it's cloudy, you'll have a slower shutter speed. I doubt you'll be using yer tripods, on board unless the Capt. drops the hook in a protected bay though. When yur running at sea you have to time the waves to keep from getting jarred, unless it's really calm. if the seas are twenty foot or more, you're liable to do more pukin than picture taking, but if you can keep an eye on the bow of the ship, you can even get shots then if you time it before or just after you hit the big waves, assuming your running into the wind, if not, then Gawd help ya.

Post Thanks / Like

All kidding aside, all my experience is with ships 200 ft and smaller and the problem I found with a tripod was not only the vibrations from the engines, generators and props, but also, as the ship rolls with the seas, you have to try and keep the horizon straight in the viewfinder, which means you pretty much have to hand hold and adjust accordingly, otherwise you'll get crooked horizons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like a recipe for pure frustration. If anyone can point to a blog or writeup of someone's experience on one of these voyages that'd be helpful too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Luminous Landscape has a bunch of articles about Antarctica. For example: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...9-worked.shtml

You can search the site, and you'll find them.