The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hey! What's with fusing 4/3 with small sensor

jonoslack

Hi All
seems to me that this makes both of them meaningless. I can even see why you might just remove 4/3 (although I'd think it sad), but fusing them?
It doesn't seem to me to make a lot of sense.

More I think of it, the more I think it isn't right - put it in with 'other cameras' if you must, but 'small sensor' is misleading. The really good thing about the small sensor forum is that, for a change, it was advertising what you CAN do with a small sensor camera, as opposed to what you CAN'T do. 4/3 sensors are normally around 8 times the size, a completely different thing, I think it will remove the point of both.

Last edited:
A

asabet

Maybe it reflects the moves Jack and Guy have been making in the medium format realm. Using those huge sensors probably changes one's perspective. Next thing you know, the Canon and Nikon APS-C and 35mm DSLRs will also join the Small Sensor forum. Small is relative :p.

Seriously though Jono, I tend to agree with you here. Never thought that the Sigma DP1 belonged there either. I'd change the "Small Sensor" forum to a "Compact Cameras" forum. That way, the DP1 and future larger sensor compacts would continue to belong there. If there isn't enough interest in Four Thirds to warrant a separate forum, then I think Four Thirds camera discussion ought to take place under "Other Cameras."

Regards,
Amin

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will let Jack explain a little further but basically we were just organizing better and putting the categories by format size. There was only 43 threads in 4/3's so we put them in small sensors group. Not sure why we had them separated in the first place . We added a forum and just tried to clean the place up spring cleaning a little late. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We can do anything and move it anywhere, but thought we were helping by merging the 4/3 with small sensor. If you guys want it out of there, we can do that too. I am fine if you all agree to move them to the "Other Cameras" section. It just was not getting a lot of play and we felt it cleaned the site up to merge that one...

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I agree with Jono that we should leave 4/3 as is. IMHO, 4/3 has its unique place here. Merging 4/3 with small sensor doesn't make sense. Of course, this is just MHO.

Kind regards,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, did my best to move larger sensors out to the "other" forum. Please understand that to Guy and I, anything with a sensor smaller than a Canon 1.6 crop sensor is a "Small Sensor" camera, so I am assuming that the 1/1.7" cams are still considered small even though they're larger than most small, but significantly smaller than 4/3; and equally assume the DP1 qualifies as "too big" for the small sensor area so it needed to go to "Other" too -- right???

:confused:,

A

asabet

Jack, I think that sounds good. If you're going to have forums based on format size, might as well keep it consistent. Per the upper part of the figure below, the blues go in Small Sensor, oranges in Other. When some yellows come along...

Four Thirds forum, we hardly knew ye.

Regards,
Amin

jonoslack

Okay, did my best to move larger sensors out to the "other" forum. Please understand that to Guy and I, anything with a sensor smaller than a Canon 1.6 crop sensor is a "Small Sensor" camera, so I am assuming that the 1/1.7" cams are still considered small even though they're larger than most small, but significantly smaller than 4/3; and equally assume the DP1 qualifies as "too big" for the small sensor area so it needed to go to "Other" too -- right???

:confused:,
HI Jack
i think that it's a funny idea to split it on the Canon 1.6 crop. . . which is actually only a few mm larger than 4/3 vertically , when there is a great gap between 4/3 and the next smaller sensor (Canon 14.8mm, 4/3 13.5mm, 1.1/7 4.7mm) (see Amin's excellent diagram).

Hi Amin
Quite right - Blue in small sensor yellow and orange in 'other camera'

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Also in my mind Four Thirds is related with the APS-C and Foveon X3 sensor formats and therefore belongs on the "Other Cameras" board along with DSLR 'alternatives' like Pentax, Samsung, Sigma, and Sony.

(Btw. I wish there were a similar open standard mount like Four Thirds for 35mm. Sigh :()

helenhill

I was just wondering.......
Why is digital Olympus sooooo Less Favored than say Nikon & Canon

IMO Olympus is a GREAT innovative Company
Anyone ? :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Folks,

Makes total sense to me too :) Anything Yellow or higher that doesn't fit into another dedicated forum will go into "other". At any time should something come along we feel needs a dedicated slot, we will add it. Guy and I will need your help in monitoring this, so be sure to let us know if something gets slotted in the wrong place. Thanks for your patience, and again sorry to have messed it up for you yesterday. And when a larger blue comes along, we'll pow-wow :talk028:

Cheers,

A

asabet

Thanks Jack. That sounds great! Here's hoping for some larger blues and smaller yellows before the summer is through! Regards, Amin

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds good to me folks. I am lost on all this sensor size stuff so just let me know if i happen to put something in the wrong spot.

jonoslack

Splendid
and Amin, I quite agree, let's have some larger blues and/or some smaller yellows. That gap is a strange thing. Your orange sensor looked like a grand idea for a compact camera - even a 2/3 sensor can come up with the goods (look at the lovely old E10 all those years ago).