Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sad about GetDpi (a personal lament)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sad about GetDpi (a personal lament)

As one of the members who contributes regularly to the MF forum, and as a new member here, I cannot speak for the changes in GetDPI, but I can say that this forum is one of the kindest and most welcoming places online.

It's why I contribute and try to add to a civil and respectful environment.

I wish I had a Leica M8 or some other items but unfortunately I don't--there's not much of value I can add there. But I agree with the sentiment expressed by others--give it some time. Many folks are away or out enjoying with the sunshine.

With such a great community I can't imagine anything but a bright future for this group as a whole.

Warmest regards,
    Brad

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well we do encourage to post anywhere and I mean anywhere. You can put MF shots in a Nikon thread or anything you want really no one here will stop that. I do it all the time. I think folks set up there threads to be specifically in a Nikon thread with Nikon lens, This is what folks are used to doing but they don't have too. We are very open about that stuff. I really have no issue if someone starts a macro thread in the Nikon section and someone posts some macro M8 shots in there. maybe folks feel they can't do that, I don't know but they can . No handcuffs from me, we are a open forum and really the only rule is respect each other. Other than that you can do what you want pretty much. But i do understand what you are saying. Now we do have a gallery section and could even start image threads there I think. We would have to make some back end changes so all could post to a gallery of images. Something jack has to figure out so not sure
    Well there is a good example....there was an M8 bokeh thread started and those who felt bad about posting non M8 shots on that thread but thought it was an interesting topic started the thread on the other camera forum for non M8 bokeh shots.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh and by the way ..... the fact that we are now on page three of this thread in short order shows that this is a vibrant community!

Post Thanks / Like

Bokeh, is a great example of a shared brand thread topic, Terry. I think most of us like to see the results from all sorts of camera and lens combos.

None of this should cause people to resist posting images in the branded or sensor size sections. Just another way to connect people and the craft.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They did not have to do that as far as we are concerned, could have posted images from other camera's as well. i always say if something comes up in a thread that is good than just run with it, Same here. We are not brand sensitive. Hell most of us have 4 different systems like you Terry with all your little P&S . The only thing I think folks should do is mark the post with brand and lens. This just helps others see what other gear does but that would be the only reason and it is a a suggestion for other members
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Bokeh, is a great example of a shared brand thread topic, Terry. I think most of us like to see the results from all sorts of camera and lens combos.

None of this should cause people to resist posting images in the branded or sensor size sections. Just another way to connect people and the craft.
    We posted the same time but exactly correct. I like to get away from the brands myself with images the tech threads are branded as they should be in different sections but images if some starts a M8 thread on people shots please don't feel you can't post there with other camera's . i do like the ID though of camera just for reference for the members. really no rules on this. Folks you are dealing with Jack and Guy on the rules , we make them and it is really easy don't be a *** and never a issue.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I think you've made your position pretty clear about allowing people to cross the brand section lines with photos, and I thank you for emphasizing it here. I suspect that even though you are good with it, members would hesitate to jump into a Nikon or Leica bokeh thread with a Canon shot, unless the thread was started with that in mind. At least I would not. My fear would be that my Canon post would be off topic, or disrespectful to those enjoying the brand specific thread on bokeh. It's meant as a forum courtesy, if you know what I mean.

Edit: we simul-posted again. I think it's great if people co-mingle image posts, if participants are not irritated by it. I know that I would not be bothered if it was a thread that I started, but I wouldn't want to annoy someone else.
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 20th June 2008 at 12:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know exactly what you mean Dale and here is where some common sense from members comes in. I think almost everyone on this forum that posts are some of the best folks around, i mean that sincerely. One reason we are not so focused on a spot or place is folks will do what they think makes sense, gotta love folks for that and thank them. Honestly if things get out of control we are moderated very well here also. Jack, Mike, Jim and I are almost always on board except at sleep hours and we would send someone a note if they posted 30 images from a Nikon in a M8 thread all at once, maybe that is beyond the common sense equation. But we can always talk to a member via PM too. Believe me no one has been in any kind of trouble for this stuff. To get banned from this forum you have to be really bad and that number is a lot lower than folks think. Maybe not even a count on one hand, not counting the spammers the get the boot within minutes.

dlew308

I found this forum as I was reading up on MFD. I saw Guy's postings all over and remember how much I liked his threads from FM, so figured this forum was "cool"
    I'm a Nikon user and hoping to someday shoot MFD. I've only shoot with a SQ-A in film a couple of years ago, I miss MF.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there are always those who have to take the opposite side, so here goes. As one of the forum's "lurkers" who seldom posts at all and never posts images I feel a bit guilty even stating this opinion. However I personally enjoy looking at the images on the LUF and enjoy the way it is organized. I don't have to look through long winded threads "hoping" to find images. There they are....Nature, Landscape, People, etc. etc. Enjoy seeing the camera and lens used and all the data as well. I have NO problem with images inside of threads, but feel like many of those are there for technical discussion, interpretation etc. which I also enjoy as I'm always learning something. Hell, the LF area inspired to me go out and buy an Ebony etc. and shoot my first ever frames a couple of weeks ago !! Had a blast and enjoyed the slow, thoughtful nature of LF.

Also congrats to Jack and Guy again for running a great, adult (?), civilized forum for learning and interacting. Therefore, whatever you decide to do with images, I will be looking ! Hope to meet many of you at a workshop near you soon !! "Someone" will surely be putting one on !

Just my two cents,

Jim

PS Guy, as to why more don't participate, I'll reiterate what you, Jack and I have talked about previoiusly. I believe many, including ME (being totally NON technical), are a bit intimidated be all the experienced, technical and wise folks on here and feel that some questions/statements are stupid and/or could be ridiculed. I know, I know, there are NO stupid questions......BUT ! Perhaps one day I'll GET OVER IT !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone View Post
    Also congrats to Jack and Guy again for running a great, adult (?), civilized forum...
    This is the ONLY adult forum I participate in.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, when Jim comes out of the woodwork to post, it's definitely time for me to comment! ( )

There are about 6 issues, but the main ones IMO are:

1) Keeping the front page trim, and this dictates limiting the total number of forum headers;

2) Keeping the threads organized enough so content is easily found, but not overly restrictive as to topic, and I think we have this pretty well under control now;

3) Pleasing EVERYBODY with the layout and structure, and of course this will never happen

4) Finally, we already have an "Image Review and Critique" forum that hardly gets used! Why not post any dedicated topical image threads there? If you don't want a comment, just say "I don't want feedback, just sharing an image." I can even change the title to something like the "Image Sharing, Review and Critique or Not" forum.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just take the critique work off the name just something like Images on parade or
    Topical image threads.
    I had a blast posting my China shots in travel destinations, so I think that is the sort of thing that might happen. [ OKOK, so I overloaded the server sorry ]
    But anyway I love the "fun images threads and the out-takes threads, and all of those so just let them pour in as far as I am concerned.
    I think this is a lovely place, don't mess too much with it.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That'd be fine Bob except we had requests for an image critique section and why we started that forum to begin with!!! Again, therein lies the problem, keeping everybody happy. Now it is a general image sharing section with an option to ask for critique if you want it. Sound good enough as a starting point?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds good, The critique part seemed to be under used.
    -bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the only reason i go back to FM is the Alternative Image thread; a catch-all, it serves as a good example. Although it used to have some sort of page turning requirement if it wasn't viewed enough

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

That's why YOU get the big dollars !! I like your idea. Keep it clean and simple. Thanks for the high praise also

I'll be lurking

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone View Post

Guy, as to why more don't participate, I'll reiterate what you, Jack and I have talked about previoiusly. I believe many, including ME (being totally NON technical), are a bit intimidated be all the experienced, technical and wise folks on here and feel that some questions/statements are stupid and/or could be ridiculed. I know, I know, there are NO stupid questions......BUT ! Perhaps one day I'll GET OVER IT !!
    You should be ashamed of yourself - if fools like me can chip in, then everybody can!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    You should be ashamed of yourself - if fools like me can chip in, then everybody can!
    thank you! I was trying to think of a good way to say the same thing about myself. Now all I need to say is DITTO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim we love ya and you can ask any question any time you want and BTW i am the biggest dummy here so no worries. LOL

Jack I think we merge the Leica R and M than we are able to keep the critique forum than add the Topical image or theme forum whatever you want to name it. That way no confusion if you want to get criqued you can and if you just want to kill our server you can do that to. Just me idea and can be out voted . Okay gotta run and go shoot in a 112 degree heat for the next 4 hours. If i don't come back Jim gets my Alpa

Gotta shoot a Nuclear blast the next 2 days. Okay a fake one but will be cool. The real test for MF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    thank you! I was trying to think of a good way to say the same thing about myself. Now all I need to say is DITTO!!!
    YOU stop posting and I will quit. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy:

I think critiques should be left merged for now since they get hardly any action. Also, can always be linked directly to an image loaded in our gallery -- it's free to everyone -- then folks can comment specifically right under the image where it's hosted...

Hence I think for now let's leave M and R separate, at least until after we hear from Photokina...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are going to leave R and M separate, why not change M8 to rangefinder specific? There has been a lot of renewed interest in the R-D1 and some shoot film M's. The Epson girls and boys can join right in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I lied 119

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    I could NEVER live in that heat, or was it just too close to your simulated A-Bomb ground zero?
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I lied 119
    The good news is that there is only one week left in June which to me is the hottest month because the monsoons haven't started. No matter how hard you try to dampen my enthusiasm, I still want to live out there full time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my dear you know i would love to have you as a neighbor but It is hot as hell. Seriously air temp was 119 and than on top of that I was working in a parking lot with Asphalt. The good thing is there where maybe 100 firefighters there setting up emergency tents for a dirty bomb exercise tomorrow at Arizona State University. All local fire and police and hospitals in the area are involved plus 100's of ASU students as victims. Actually hate to say it hope we never truly need it but very smart to plan for stuff like this. I am sure most major cites do the same training in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The reason I get employed by the BBC to do radio presenters is because they like the candid work I do in natural lighting - with people moving around fast in changing light.
    SNIP
    I need the kit which is going to get me the best image, not the best quality image
    Well said Jono!

I think this is the most important thing to keep in mind for anyone choosing equipment: pick the best tool for the job at hand.

For me on landscape and product, it's the MF outfit. (Used to be large format film or scanning back.) For travel and street, it's the M8's. If I still shot sports and wildlife, it would be one of the newer DSLR's. Finally, for family vacations and my "with me all the time camera," I love the GRD2

Horses for courses,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    If you are going to leave R and M separate, why not change M8 to rangefinder specific? There has been a lot of renewed interest in the R-D1 and some shoot film M's. The Epson girls and boys can join right in.
    Well personally I think its an M8 International Sabotage Conspiracy Against The Epson Girls......
    You see Cam is restricted to use her RD1s till Fall because of recent Arm Surgery & the Doctor's Orders & my RD1s back in Japan for Repairs
    TRES SUSPECT........
    You Will NOT Succeed in Stomping Us Out!!

THANK YOU CINDY for uncovering the Plot

Helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 21st June 2008 at 04:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aren't we filming an episode in NY on July 17?
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Well personally I think its an M8 International Sabotage Conspiracy Against The Epson Girls......
    You see Cam is restricted to use her RD1s till Fall because of recent Arm Surgery & the Doctor's Orders & my RD1s back in Japan for Repairs
    TRES SUSPECT........
    You Will NOT Succeed in Stomping Us Out!!

Helen
    So, next you will have me order an R-D1 to make me neutral (M8 plus R-D1 owner)......I'm not sure if mine would be a boy or girl

It is a sexy little thing. I like when the dials wake up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Aren't we filming an episode in NY on July 17?
    -bob
    I will come Prepared with a bullet proof vest in case of an assassination attempt.......M8 People are Devious

and YES my Darlin Terry you are expected to Join
    (we need more Recruits)
    Cheers! h
    Last edited by helenhill; 21st June 2008 at 04:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does it come with a free membership in the dead camera society?
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

-bob
    Ouch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Ouch!
    Yes I Agree ....Typical M8 Smut Propaganda......
    and now Jono is being wooed by the MF league
    but I see you might be coming over to OUR side .....hehehe
    I'm not sure Terry if you can be trusted after out last Meeting together
    Your Character Assassination with your Fisheye Lens

REVENGE is near ...I am attaching my Fisheye Lens for the Next meeting...and its WAR

John Le Carre would have a field day here /Spy AGAINST Spy

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and now Jono is being wooed by the MF league
    Hey - but they are getting NOWHERE! I'm more likely to buy one of them epsons
    but I see you might be coming over to OUR side .....hehehe
    I'm not sure Terry if you can be trusted after out last Meeting together
    Your Character Assassination with your Fisheye Lens

REVENGE is near ...I am attaching my Fisheye Lens for the Next meeting...and its WAR

John Le Carre would have a field day here /Spy AGAINST Spy
    Absolutely - shall I nip over and ask him if he'd like to buy in?

Terry . .. are you going to buy an Epson?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=jonoslack;36123]Hey - but they are getting NOWHERE! I'm more likely to buy one of them epsons

Terry . .. are you going to buy an Epson?[/QUOTE]

NAH- Terry just teasin me.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey - but they are getting NOWHERE! I'm more likely to buy one of them epsons

Terry . .. are you going to buy an Epson?
    No Jono - in a moment of insanity I'm actually being sensible and rational. I'm waiting for two things:

1. July 1 if Nikon sticks the current D3 sensor in a D300 body, I'm all over it and will upgrade from the D300.

2. Photokina if Leica gives us a CL type camera with a great lens, GRD2 type control with a nice big juicy sensor again, I'm all over it. (A DP1 with real controls and a non Foveon sensor is another way to put it). If it took M lenses WOW!

Until then I may go for a Nikon 85 f1.8.....smaller and lighter and half the price for the half stop difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

-bob
    i am sure that this was meant to be cute, but it's only just.

and excuse me for bringing this back to seriousness, but... it's at the core of why this forum is not the same as when it started. at least for me...

as is the departure of they who shall not be named. most notably:

Maggie.

okay. a lot of us did not feel quite as strongly as Maggie about the base sexism of a certain thread. that doesn't mean that there wasn't any validity to her point of view, not that she should have been LOL'ed in response. if it had been me and i'd felt so strongly, i would have asked how much money those husbands had spent on Luigi cases, camera cases, and other frou-frou stuff for their manly camera gear.

as it stands i'm proud to say i would happily own both Leica Luxes and Louboutins. regardless, Maggie was thought overly sensitive and belittled for her feelings. the same nature that drove her away from here is what brought such vibrancy and joy to many of her posts. her generosity and inquisitiveness was huge and we all benefited. she is sorely, sorely missed!

Mitch.

Mitch brought a load of us small sensor users on the board here and, frankly, it hasn't been the same since he stopped posting there. when he made the move to Nikon, many (myself included) followed him there to see how he got on. how did he get on? he was shat upon, plain and simple. that one thread, IMO, more than any other, changed the face of this forum. i was appalled by the criticism, finding it mean-spirited rather than constructive.

it made me loathe to share my work here as my images fall much more into the spirit of Mitch's than many other pixel-peeping static work here that is so praised. i'm not ragging against those perfectionists as i do quite admire the skill and precision needed to take them. frankly, though, they're not my cup of tea. i want motion, emotion, and imperfection. i want to feel something! but that's me and, obviously i am in the minority. but why bother putting my images up when i knew they would be derided?

back to Mitch. even though he may have been more than a bit full of himself in many's eyes, Mitch was very generous to us starting out with small sensors. be it shooting techniques or post-processing or whatnot. he was an invaluable resource and his voice is missed as are his photos. he had a style that i never tired of looking at.

Sean.

last but not least, Sean. Sean brought many people here and it was amazing to have him as a resource. i really don't think i need to say more as his lack of presence here speaks volumes. my biggest regret is that all of his posts were deleted. i am guessing that it was by his choice. if only i had known, i would have copied many of his threads as they were so insightful. i am frustrated that i can't refer back, but c'est la vie.

perhaps we will get more strong presences in the future, but these three will never be replaced.

maybe now people will think twice before dumping on others or ridiculing their sensitivities. a little more respect is in order, rather than some blatant belittling that goes on frequently.

this isn't to say i'm going away. although i many times feel like a second-class citizen here, i've got a very thick skin. and i have found some very warm and generous spirits here that i treasure. i would not have met them if it hadn't been for this forum and for that i am forever grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam:

Allow me to make one thing perfectly clear. Sean's posts were not deleted, they were hidden from public view per his request. If Sean had been able to agree to participate here according to the same rules as everybody else, he'd still be here -- but he couldn't, so he isn't. Moreover, if he ever has a change of heart on that front, he would be welcomed back and his historical posts can be re-instated. I'm not going to go into any more detail than that, but please understand that the ball in his court, not ours...

As re Mitch, I don't know why he left, but can only assume because of Sean's decision. And I miss him too and wish he'd decide to come back as he brought an awful lot to our forum.

As re Maggie, the sexism thread was unfortunate and we're sorry her feelings got hurt before we got to it. Again, I wish she could get over that and return to post here as her posts added to our forum as well.

However at the end of the day, all Guy and I can do is create an environment that works for the benefit of the entire group (not just a few individuals) and hope folks find those rules and format to their liking and agree to participate according to them. IOW, we can only provide the watering hole, whether or not they're going to drink from it is up to them...

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks as i said early don't assume anything because you have no clue on the real truth in these matters and there private were they will stay. So if you believe we are the bad guys fine and if that is what you believe than not a damn thing I can do about changing you mind. Jack and My job as the owners is to take the hit and protect even the folks that are not here or don't deserve to be here , we are not out to hurt anyones reputations but in the process we become the jerks. Not sure what the hell anyone wants me to say on this stuff but I know one thing i sleep with a clear concise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, Guy,

i never accused either of you of being bad guys. you have both been very nice to me. i even stated that i felt Sean's missing posts where his own choice -- not yours. i was simply voicing what others have been afraid to (though i'm not saying their thoughts are exactly mine). i do not find you negative at all. however, sometimes feelings are genuinely hurt or people are downright rude here and it's all laughed away. it is very easy to misconstrue intentions on the internet...

i held my voice on a thread i found quite stupid and rude about a certain style of photography i love and believe to be valid because i wanted to keep the bonhomie that is often found here (and for which i applaud you both). however, one touch of criticism and hackles are raised. especially yours, Guy.

my apologies. i guess it's time for me to step away for awhile as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No there is no need to step away , this is just a very sore subject for me and it frankly makes me a little mad with what happened and i can't explain it and don't want to talk about it. I'm sorry if that is elusive or seems rude it is just best for me and the forum. This subject is just off limits to me, hope you understand this was very a serious issues and some actions and members on this forum still insist it is all me which is wrong but i will not defend myself in public. If I am the *** on this one than i am. Honestly i don't know what else to do , but I am the friendliest person you will ever meet until the line in the sand in crossed. All I am saying is don't judge the book by it's cover which many have done on this subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam,
    I did not intend to offend and if I did I applogise.
    Having a charter membership in that same club I renewed my
    membership early this year when I destroyed my M8.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CAM

Don't Leave

I CAN'T BE THE ONLY EPSON GIRL

does everyone have to take their ball & Go Home ....Damn it

I'm beginning to think my sense of humor is too whacked and things have Escalated (again)..... Sorry All
    Last edited by helenhill; 21st June 2008 at 12:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam:

I must be terribly naive. I have witnessed some spirited, even difficult discussions here, but I don't feel comfortable with your statement I've quoted below.

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post

maybe now people will think twice before dumping on others or ridiculing their sensitivities. a little more respect is in order, rather than some blatant belittling that goes on frequently.
    I miss Maggie too and hope she returns. As for Sean and Mitch, my experience/perception is different from yours. Plus, this forum is not the only forum in which controversial discussions have been generated around their posts.

This is a pretty safe place. It is however, populated by humans. And humans are not error free. Especially here, when body language and other signals of intent are invisible, it's important to be tolerant. Even when mistakes are made. By anyone.

Best,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam:

Never took it that you were thinking us the bad guys. I did take it that you (and probably others) want more data on what happened to help with closure, and why I chose to mete out a the extra bit I did. If Guy sounded defensive it's because it is a sore spot for us and we would like to put it behind us and move on -- we tried to make it work... Bottom line is we want to accommodate everybody and in doing so we will not be bullied into granting special favors to certain people over others.

Hope that helps put this to bed,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it does -- and thank you, Jack.

i just have one more thing to say and that is to publicly apologise to Bob. i used his comment to illustrate how things can be misconstrued on the internet, especially if the one reading it is in a mood. had we been face to face, i most likely would have laughed and then swatted him. i'm sorry, Bob.

asabet

I had no idea about any of this . I just assumed that Mitch, Sean, and Maggie were busy or traveling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    it does -- and thank you, Jack.

i just have one more thing to say and that is to publicly apologise to Bob. i used his comment to illustrate how things can be misconstrued on the internet, especially if the one reading it is in a mood. had we been face to face, i most likely would have laughed and then swatted him. i'm sorry, Bob.
    Well we have to realize 99 percent of any comments here are really harmless. We joke a lot and sometimes it get's misplaced . At this point I think we should close this thread. I think the point has been made. Agree