Site Sponsors

Thread: Color Management in Firefox

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Color Management in Firefox

It appears that Firefox 3 has color management capabilities, but that they haven't yet provided an easy way to activate it. Or at least a setting in preferences. They're said to be working on making activation easy enough for people like me.

See the discussion here: http://pixsylated.com/2008/06/color-...-in-firefox-3/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Color Management in Firefox

Interesting...I didn't realize it didn't have it already! Safari has been color-managed for awhile. This is a good page to check if your browser is color managed:
    http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...profiles.html#

Of course, one problem is that your images need to be properly calibrated and tagged. Unfortunately, photoshop's "save for web" feature still does not offer the ability to leave a profile on the jpeg it outputs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I made the minor tweak using the "about:config" method described in Rob G's article. It was extremely easy. Open Firefox and in the URL address window type about:config. Enter "gfx" in the filter field to narrow the results. Then double click the gfx.color.management bar so it displayes "true" and you're done. Simply restart Firefox and bingo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, thanks for the tutorial. I DL'd the file but it wouldn't install, and of course your method was bone simple. And now FF3 is actually color managed
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

dlew308

rad, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    I made the minor tweak using the "about:config" method described in Rob G's article. It was extremely easy. Open Firefox and in the URL address window type about:config. Enter "gfx" in the filter field to narrow the results. Then double click the gfx.color.management bar so it displayes "true" and you're done. Simply restart Firefox and bingo.