The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina what will it bring.

woodyspedden

Leica R system announcement with AF lenses

Nikon primes and announcement of 24Mpx D3X

Small leica digital camera a la CM or CL

JMHO

Woody

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My speculation is that Leica will introduce cameras in three classes ...PS,micro 4/3 and a FF DSlr. None of these will be built on a Leica platform ..rather all three will be in partnership with Panasonic. The PS will all be the normal knock offs of the new Panasonic designs and they will all be excellent performers although they will not be particularly special. The surprise will be the micro 4/3 which will take M mount lenses as well as a group of new less expensive alternatives...some made in Japan . The DSLR will be announced this month by Panasonic (and may use the Sony chip) . Leica will have its own version with some assembly and testing by Leica . Have no idea how they will handle the excessively high R lens cost. The M will be all about lenses....the new Noctilux will include several focal lengths besides the 50 and they will be over the top expensive . They will also expand the low cost end with an 18/3.5 which will be a best seller. I believe the only rumors that have a chance are the ones that have positive cash flows almost immediately .....a completely internal R10 ..no way. I also believe that Leica gave up on an internal R10 around the beginning of he year and has shifted to working in partnership with Panasonic on everything except the M8 and the legacy film bodies. My 2Cents . Roger Want to know what Nikon is doing......check out nikonrumors.com the host collects all the rumors and posts his opinion on the potential accuracy

Lars

Leica will find an appropriate anniversary to commemorate with yet another limited edition rangefinder. :ROTFL:

Seriously, I see a lot of wishful thinking re Leica above. It seems unlikely that such a small company would crank out more product releases than Canon and Nikon combined. I guess we'll wait and see.

BTW a Swedish photo publication reports that it received an invitation from Canon Sweden to see new products on August 22. The headline claims it's a new EOS body but the article only mentions "products".

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Leica will find an appropriate anniversary to commemorate with yet another limited edition rangefinder. :ROTFL:

Seriously, I see a lot of wishful thinking re Leica above. It seems unlikely that such a small company would crank out more product releases than Canon and Nikon combined. I guess we'll wait and see.

BTW a Swedish photo publication reports that it received an invitation from Canon Sweden to see new products on August 22. The headline claims it's a new EOS body but the article only mentions "products".
It may turn out to be wishful thinking but a high placed individual at Leica was positive when I talked about how important the R system is to Leica users. So I don't know if what will be divulged will be a future R preview or a real announcement about leica R now. But I do believe the R is going to get some press

fotografz

Leica would have to field a MF competitor that would blow my eyeballs to the back of my scull before I'd invest with them ... and the PassPort warranty would have to be at least 5 years. IMO, when some of the digital back makers dropped prices, it stymied any further aspirations to invade the pro MF market.

A R10 FF DSLR at a decent price that was made by Panosonic would be fine ... as a personal indulgence ... if the economy makes a come-back.

A M9? Maybe ... after it's been in market for 2 years and proved itself. I'm not going through all that again, trust me.

I personally don't care what Canon does or doesn't do. Nikon nailed my DSLR needs to a T with the D3 and D700. A revamped 85/1.4 with Nano coating and AFS shouldn't be to hard ... and VR would be nice. A 35/1.4 AFS would be dandy also. Personally, that's all I need in AF Nikon Primes ... Zeiss ZF fulfills everything else in the "marginal need" catagory.

Sony is the sleeper in all this. If they nail the Pro spec FF camera and update the Prosumer version to full frame ... AND Zeiss delivers the rumored AF35/1.4 and/or delivers an AF version of the 28/2 (or legendary 21/2.8) ... they will be a serious contender. The 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 are already spectacular performers, and build quality is top of the heap. Sony has the juice to just about anything it puts its mind to.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Me . I am just sitting back on all this and see what is announced. I am very happy with my MF stuff right now but am looking at something small be it a D700 or a new leica something. But I would like to see a few new Nikon lenses if i went in that direction a new 85mm might just push me over the edge and some good wide primes with AF. The 24-70 is just too big for what it is in my book. Rather shoot MF if I have to shoot that big of glass. But for one of the very first times for me is too just sit on my hands and wait it out instead of hitting the buy button. No way i will go Canon no matter what the come up with. Sony,Olympus, Leica are options but I want to see it and hold it before i buy into anything. Last thing I want to do is wait for vaporware from anybody. Like they say show me the money.