The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina what will it bring.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it is not far off late September and I think a lot of us are just waiting for the next crumbs to be placed to see what direction to take if any. Lot's of rumors from the Nikon camp and Ricoh announces a new GX 200. Leica no one has a real clue yet and the long awaited Canon 5D replacement has yet to surface. Let's not forget MF with rumors of a 60 mpx back. Seems every system needs some type of improvement and updates to software , hardware and customer service. Maybe time to get out the crystal ball and see what folks think maybe in the works or what there REALLY looking for.

The good news here is Photokinia is the biggest photo show world wide and every OEM saves this show for there BIG announcements and actually develops and produces gear for this show to make a splash. Right now i am pretty darn happy but there are things i would like to see coming down the road. So what's in your crystal ball.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
How about the 24Mp Sony Alpha "900" (?) with in-camera image stabilized autofocus Zeiss ZA lenses, like e.g. ZA 1.8/135mm ;)
Not exactly a boring thought, in my mind.
Actually rather interesting to see what it will do to the DSLR market, and even to the Medium Format market and its prices as well.

Terry

I want what the DP1 should have been:

1. Small camera - between M8 and GRD
2. Big sensor
3. Great very fast lens
4. Good RAW buffer
5. Fast controls (like the GRD2)

Sounds to me like a fixed lens M8 in a CL type body. I would not be upset if it were a prime lens at 28, 35, 40 or even 50mm

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Photokina will bring mostly a fresh batch of rumors and speculation punctuated by a very few gear announcements some of which will probably aggravate my GAS.
-bob

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The secret about the destiny of the Leica R mount will at last be revealed.

Guy Mancuso

Photokina will bring mostly a fresh batch of rumors and speculation punctuated by a very few gear announcements some of which will probably aggravate my GAS.
-bob
Not sure the will announce anything that will give me GAS at all or worse not even excite me.

Guy Mancuso

Agreed. I want it today my Phase one body today and my new toy today. Yes my patience is very thin. LOL

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I want what the DP1 should have been:

1. Small camera - between M8 and GRD
2. Big sensor
3. Great very fast lens
4. Good RAW buffer
5. Fast controls (like the GRD2)

Sounds to me like a fixed lens M8 in a CL type body. I would not be upset if it were a prime lens at 28, 35, 40 or even 50mm
Apart from the fixed lens, this sounds pretty much like the strongly-rumored Nikon M-mount digital "rangefinder". Which is pretty much all I want for Christmas.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I think this Photokina is interesting particularly because of one single reason:
We will probably see - released or announced or at least a hint of - four or five new 24x36mm (or larger) sensor based DSLRs.
Nikon "D700" - Canon "3D/5DII" - Sony Alpha "900" - Nikon "D3X" - plus a more distant Leica "R10", or whatever all these model names will be.
Not at all a boring race, in my opinion.

Guy Mancuso

I agree we may see a lot of stuff but my worry is it will just be rebadged stuff with nothing really evolutionary. I would like to see some major shifts in DR, Sensors,lenses etc. Have a hard time with a Sony 24mpx camera unless it is something really different instead of the usual I have more MPX than you stuff. Seriously i want to be blown away

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Besides we will see new fast AF-S versions of some of the Nikon primes. I think :angel:

jonoslack

Besides we will see new fast AF-S versions of some of the Nikon primes. I think :angel:
One thing you can be pretty sure of is that the big players (Nikon in particular) won't announce anything new for photokina - they never do, as the announcements tend to get lost in the rush. Most of the big deal announcements will come over the next few months.

I'd like to see some new fast AF-S primes . . . . . . but I wonder whether we will, the leaked D700 announcements doesn't seem to indicate it.

I think they reckon that the new professional zooms are as good as primes, and in many cases they're right.