The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good news from Florida.

bensonga

I gotta wonder....what "threat" was Senator Jim Norman worried about when he drafted this bill?

Perhaps a full psychiatric evaluation of Senator Norman is warranted.....paranoia is a likely diagnosis.

Gary

stephengilbert

The threat was that animal rights activists might photograph inhumane conditions on factory farms. This is similar to police trying to outlaw photographing police officers.

Without the video, Rodney King would've been unknown.

T

tokengirl

Or that labor activists might photograph inhumane conditions for farm workers.

etrigan63

As a Floridian, I am not surprised that some idiot would try to pass a law like this. It is also a first degree felony in Florida to land a headless Jewfish (PC name is "Goliath Grouper").

BTW, the Legal Rights for Photographers book mentioned in the article is available on for the Kindle. It now resides on my iPhone and when I get an iPad 2, there as well.

T

tokengirl

It is also a first degree felony in Florida to land a headless Jewfish (PC name is "Goliath Grouper").
I think that one's a federal reg, due to it being "endangered". No landings are permitted, whether they have heads or not.

As for them being "endangered", that is simply just not the case anymore. Whitewater Bay is LOADED with juveniles hanging out in the mangroves. We call then Root Monsters. And if you'd like to tangle with a 300-pounder, I have a spot just south of Dry Tortugas for you.

etrigan63

Some specimens have gotten to the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. 300lbs is a bit on the smallish side. My father, in his wilder days of youth (during the early days of scuba diving in Cuba), went spearfishing with a buddy and they tried to nail a jewfish. It was a biggie and they were all gung-ho to land it. They fired simultaneously from either side and my dad missed. His buddy went for quite a joyride courtesy of the intended victim. At the end of the ride he lost his mask all that was left of the speargun was the grip.

Oh, you are right about that being federal reg, but the headless bit is a Florida marine statute: no bomb fishing.