Site Sponsors

Thread: Question for PayPal experts

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question for PayPal experts

If paying for an item using your PayPal balanceľare the same fees still incurred, as if you were paying via credit card? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for PayPal experts

Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    If paying for an item using your PayPal balanceľare the same fees still incurred, as if you were paying via credit card? Thank you!
    There is no fee when using your PayPal balance.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like

The recipient would pay the same fees regardless of how you did it with the exception of the echeck, and gift. The sender never pays fees, or at least i have not.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    The recipient would pay the same fees regardless of how you did it with the exception of the echeck, and gift. The sender never pays fees, or at least i have not.

Joe

That is my experience too. Sender never pays anything extra, so it doesn't matter where the funds come from.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your credit card company takes its usual cut, then on top of that PayPal takes its cut. So in essence Paypal surrenders part of its fee to the CC company.

On top of that, if you pay in a different currency than your accout expect 1-3% extra in hidden cost as PayPal uses really crappy exchange rates. Recently I got a GBP/SEK rate of 10.61 through PayPal when market rate was 10.28.

Credit card companies also use incrorrect exchange rates on a wide scale. And worst of all is Ryanair which uses an exchange rate that is about 10% off the market rate.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post

Joe
    That is correct. The recipient will get dinged approximately 3% whether the money originates from a PayPal balance or credit card or from the sender's checking account. The fee to the recipient for e-check is $5.00 and there is no fee for the gift/personal option, which is reserved more for just that, personal purposes.
    Joshua - M9: Leica-M & Zeiss ZM lenses + Canon DSLR

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There can be a fee for personal/gift if it is a cross-border transaction. The sender is given the option in that case to pay the fee, which can vary depending on the country. The exact fee is shown.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Your credit card company takes its usual cut, then on top of that PayPal takes its cut. So in essence Paypal surrenders part of its fee to the CC company.

On top of that, if you pay in a different currency than your accout expect 1-3% extra in hidden cost as PayPal uses really crappy exchange rates. Recently I got a GBP/SEK rate of 10.61 through PayPal when market rate was 10.28.

Credit card companies also use incrorrect exchange rates on a wide scale. And worst of all is Ryanair which uses an exchange rate that is about 10% off the market rate.
    Is there anything good about Ryanair?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Is there anything good about Ryanair?
    Well, not much, but despite all the hidden fees, inconvenience and humiliation, it's still by far the cheapest option in most cases. Roundtrip Stockholm-Malta (which is almost as far as you can fly in Europe) is below 100 EUR including all fees and taxes. At this time no other airline has a direct flight, the cheapest alternative was above 300 EUR last time I checked.

Bad things about Ryanair:
    - Traffics odd unknown airports, often far away from metropolitan areas.
    - Tends to not use airport terminal - I've had to walk through rain and snowstorm to get to the aircraft more than once.
    - Fees can easily double or triple the price of the fare.
    - All checked luggage is extra.
    - Checked luggage over 15 kgs is even more extra.
    - Priority boarding is extra (seats are unnumbered so it's like boarding a bus).
    - Use of a credit card is extra.
    - You have to print your boarding card or there is a 40 EUR penalty.
    - Internet checkin is extra.
    - Checkin at terminal is even more extra.
    - Food onboard is extra (and really bad).
    - Any drinks onboard is extra, including water.
    - Carryon limitations are strict 10 kg and fit inside test cage or you have to check the bag and pay extra. When we flew from Seville a few weeks ago the Ryanair staff was really strict with some Italians, there almost was a fight.
    - Once you land, baggage service is really slow. Ryanair gets the cheapest airport service possible, and it shows.
    - Customer service is almost nonexistent, there is a toll number to call with a long wait to make you rack up charges.

An interesting thing happened when we came back to Stockholm from our honeymoon in Spain and Malta. At the Skavsta airport (which Ryanair calls "Stockholm" even though it's more than an hour's drive) I went to get the car from longterm parking and then back to the terminal to pick up my wife and bags. This was past midnight, the airport had closed down for the night and there were only one person in sight besides my wife. The other person was a young American male, he was asking where to find a taxi but we had to tell him there were no more taxis that night. We ended up giving him a ride to Stockholm, and got to hear an interesting story:

He was a college basketball player turning pro, had started in January on a contract with a team in Tripoli. The conflict started just before he was to get his first paycheck, so he never got paid. He had been threatened at gunpoint by African mercenaries, avoided getting shot when the mercenaries finally believed that he was playing for Gadaffi's team. He had entered Libya on his Algerian passport (dual citizenship) so he could not use his US passport to leave. After spending three days on a boat in Tripoli while things were getting worse around, he finally got to Malta and found a Ryanair flight to Stocholm where he has family.

A bit off-topic, sorry about that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe this was the same basketball player that was featured on CNN. Small world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I believe this was the same basketball player that was featured on CNN. Small world.
    Yep he mentioned that he had been on CNN the same morning.

Post Thanks / Like

>A bit off-topic, sorry about that.

Lars, no reason to be sorry.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I recently was going to use an e-check for an $1800 purchase. The seller did not want to incur the 3% fee and I had the cash in my checking account. I had not used an e-check for a while. The e-check option was no longer available to me, so I called Paypal. I was told that e-check was done away with because people were using it to avoid the fee (in spite of the fact that we were paying the $5). This may not be true with all kinds of Paypal accounts, but seems to be true for my account. I ended up sending a Cashier check to the seller.