The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for the Bosses Re Quoted Images

m3photo

I have seen on other website forums that there are two buttons one can click; a "Quote" button and a "Thanks" button, apart from the quick reply option of course.
The "Thanks" button is extremely useful insofar as it saves many a poster from having to write yet another thank you message and us "poor souls" trawling through threads full to the brim of the same photographs time and time again, which while they maybe beautiful to look at, being able to come across them four or five times in a thread serves no purpose and clogs up your bandwidth no end. A good example of this would be the "Fun with Nikon Images" thread.

Thank you, by the way.;)

stephengilbert

Perhaps if people could see that it is more considerate to avoid unnecessary quoting of pix the practice might be minimized.

Terry

I have seen on other website forums that there are two buttons one can click; a "Quote" button and a "Thanks" button, apart from the quick reply option of course.
The "Thanks" button is extremely useful insofar as it saves many a poster from having to write yet another thank you message and us "poor souls" trawling through threads full to the brim of the same photographs time and time again, which while they maybe beautiful to look at, being able to come across them four or five times in a thread serves no purpose and clogs up your bandwidth no end. A good example of this would be the "Fun with Nikon Images" thread.

Thank you, by the way.;)
It is very easy to quote a post and delete lots of the whole post you are quoting. As long as you leave all the bits in brackets at the beginning of end of the quote you are fine. I agree that needless quoting with all of the pictures is not useful, however sometimes you are so late to respond that only by showing the picture you are talking about will your post be in context. I think it is really participants taking some time to understand the system rather than changing it. Personally, I don't care for the thanks button as I find it sort of meaningless.

As long as the original image instance and the quote is on the same page, no bandwidth is really wasted, since the image file will only be dl´ed once, and then repeated as often as necessary. But it does require much more scrolling to read it, and I second Terry´s suggestion of trimming quotes whenever reasonable. Those ´Fun with....´ theads can be a real chore to read at times.

And that´s a pity, since they contain so much excellent work.

m3photo

Re: Deleting

It is very easy to quote a post and delete lots of the whole post you are quoting. As long as you leave all the bits in brackets at the beginning of end of the quote you are fine.
Quite so. If only many would realize the very same ...:)

tom in mpls

It is very easy to quote a post and delete lots of the whole post you are quoting. As long as you leave all the bits in brackets at the beginning of end of the quote you are fine. I agree that needless quoting with all of the pictures is not useful, however sometimes you are so late to respond that only by showing the picture you are talking about will your post be in context. I think it is really participants taking some time to understand the system rather than changing it. Personally, I don't care for the thanks button as I find it sort of meaningless.
Terry, I agree with you. Sometimes it is important to include the image(s). Too bad there isn't a check box for the reply that says something like "include images in reply?". Human nature being what it is, there will always be many quoters who forget to delete. I also agree with OP that it can be annoying, but for me it's a small annoyance that I can live with.

This thread points out another flaw that bothers me more: a wide image in one post causes all other posts on that page to get wider, such that it may not be possible for me to read a post without having to move the page left and right in order to read the very long lines.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tom the last part is being worked on with our guru. We need to put a width size limit on images . Give us several days for that. The site is really actually under construction right now as we design for the banner ads we are moving things around a bit. So don't get married to anything for about another week. We are looking at a lot of things right now.