The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help I have a archeological shoot

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I have stumbled into a project for Southern Illinois University at Kinkaid Mounds on a archeological dig. I've got to do candids of the dig as well as document the excavation, and artifacts after cleaned in the laboratory. Any advice for shooting outside in a trench in the mid day sun and artifact portraits?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A white "Easy Up" to work under? Lab artifacts will almost assuredly be small and thus require macro lenses and lights for maximum DoF. If there is mains power, the lighting is easy to solve, if no mains, then you'll want a generator or pretty powerful battery units that deliver at least 1200WS. 2 lights with scrims and reflectors should be adequate for nice definition.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
candids of the dig
Fill flash with a decent bounce or diffuser will be your new best friend

document the excavation
Fill flash again

artifacts after cleaned in the laboratory
If these are shot indoors, then standard table-top problem set

All up, sounds like an interesting job. If you have mains power, follow Jack's suggestions!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You might do well to ask the scientists what would be of most interest to them when it comes to shooting the artifacts. It might be tempting to make something artful when in fact, something more clinical would suit their needs better. Inclusion of a ruler or scale for instance. Or in the case of smaller objects, fairly accurate magnification (i.e., one to one).

Long ago I shot some bones in support of a theory of cannibalism in Southwest Native American tribes. The bones were beautiful (if grisly with holes in the skulls) but the academics doing the paper were looking more for accuracy and definition rather than elegant lighting. On the other hand, having one doesn't necessarily have to be at the expense of the other. Good luck!

Tim