The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best photography book?

Rawfa

I've been browsing the web and amazon but I still cannot make up my mind about which book to get. What I'm looking for is a compilation of the the best photos made by the greatest digital photographers of our age accompanied by the photo it self and an explanation of how it was made, mentioning equipment, technical data, lighting, etc. My photography is all done with natural or ambient light, so even though I won't mind samples of studio photography I'd prefer a closer approach to natural/ambient light.

thanks

Rafa

woodyspedden

Rafa

I would strongly recommend George Barr's book, "Why Photographs Work". It is exactly what you seem to be looking for i.e. 52 photos, his opinions as to why the photographs work and the shooters view of the work as well. Well worth the price.

The other recommendation is Ansel Adams The Making of 40 Photographs. This book is a little pricey but again, his explanations of what made the photographs work is priceless.

Hope this helps

Woody

P.S. Both books are available through Amazon.com

Rawfa

Thanks, Woody. The first book you´ve mentioned seems to be the concensus amongst people. The thing is I think it only addresses film photography, not digital, which is what I´m looking for.

dseelig

I would strongly suggest you learn by doing i.e. shooting a lot. If you want to shot natural light go get The Americans by Robert Frank yes shot on film in the 50's but anything shot on film translates. You cannot replicate anything done by someone else because too many shifting factors . The best advice i can give is get a fast 35 mm lens and a fast 50 shoot only those lenses for a while and one camera body. Get lightroom or photoshop not aperture because light room does down to 2000 kelvin aperture goes down to 2500 it does make a difference in low light situiations. Good luck shoot a lot.