The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Buy/Sell Whine

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I notice that while there are rules for sellers, there are no rules for buyers. My whine is that today I had two buyers renege. The first PM'd "I would like to buy it" then decided several hours later (after I had noted it was a pending sale) that he didn't want it. The second originally PM's that if the pending sale fell through he'd "take it", but then decided to try to renegotiate the price and when I declined, backed out. I have a sale pending now, so ultimately no harm done, but when someone says "I would like to buy it" or "I'll take it", isn't that an acceptance of the offer? Okay, whine over, but maybe a little reminder is appropriate that we are a community here and it really screws things up for a seller when a buyer changes his/her mind.

stephengilbert

The short answer is "yes;" when you offer something for sale and someone tells you "I'll take it," you have a contract. The problem is that the internet not only makes it impractical do try to enforce your contract, but seems to give rise to behavior that people wouldn't engage in face to face.

Sorry about your experience. Maybe the mods will agree to these sorts of transactions being collected somewhere.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Thanks Stephen. I agree. I am a lawyer and I know a contract when I see one - but of course you are right that practical enforceability is another story. The most powerful thing we have here is peer pressure and I would agree that a reporting system for renegers might be useful.

B

Billy_Walker

I notice that while there are rules for sellers, there are no rules for buyers. My whine is that today I had two buyers renege. The first PM'd "I would like to buy it" then decided several hours later (after I had noted it was a pending sale) that he didn't want it. The second originally PM's that if the pending sale fell through he'd "take it", but then decided to try to renegotiate the price and when I declined, backed out. I have a sale pending now, so ultimately no harm done, but when someone says "I would like to buy it" or "I'll take it", isn't that an acceptance of the offer? Okay, whine over, but maybe a little reminder is appropriate that we are a community here and it really screws things up for a seller when a buyer changes his/her mind.
I've been in sales most of my adult life. This is actually very common in the real world. People hold sellers accountable but buyers get a free ride. You'll never fix it so forget about it. Nothing is ever sold until the taillight is down the road.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We have all been burned by the backing out buyer. I typically say something like, "I'll mark it sold as soon as I receive the payment, until then it is still for sale." Worst case, two folks send you payments -- I've had that happen once -- and you have to return the late one. Makes for one upset buyer, but the seller did not loose a sale. Moreover, you held to your bargain, selling it to the first who paid you.

R

richard.L

hmm, contract... worth the paper the judge can read :). yep I understand verbal (in a box back in CA under the shade tree sits a Blacks and a UCC)
//

from sales 101 "hello doesn't mean I love you."

As to the justice of it, I think they were bound, however in a market the greater power is with the seller and so is the first risk. After thoughts occur, further research, even the unexpected bill in the mail, just opened. Dropped lens ... I'd hope that the first responder would have clarified his side to you..

Perhaps in a future "offer" you should make it clear that the sale is based upon funds, not PMs.

Leave the mods out. The more they step in, the more responsibility for outcomes they have. The Mall Of America doesn't want to be responsible for the taste of the ice cream sold by Likedy Splitz.

richard // Texas where the shade comes every night.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it comes down to honoring your word and unfortunately folks don't always follow in that path.

J

jeanba3000

I agree with StephenGilbert about behavior "face to face" compared to "face to a computer screen"…

I recently had people contacting me about lenses for sale, saying they are interested and asking to meet me in Paris, I positively replied, and never had any response, even to tell me they're not interested anymore.

In french we have a proverb that says something like : promises commit only those who believe in them… (we often tell it about politicians… :D )

Dale Allyn

I had a similar experience on the buy/sell board.

Someone said he'd take my item after confirming shipping costs and such overseas. Another member offered to buy it, but I felt obliged to honor the deal with the first buyer as he had said "let's do it. What's the PayPal address", etc. The second buyer (who is located quite near to me) was leaving for a weekend trip and would send the money immediately, so as to receive the item by the time he returned home. He appreciated that I wanted to honor the first buyer's deal, so bought a similar item while on his trip.

Of course, then the original fellow stopped all communication, though after a day or two started posting comments on the camera boards again. I won't accept any offers from him to buy in the future. It would have been fine for him to say that he had reconsidered, etc. I had even offered by PM, after a day passed with no communication from him, that I had received a second request to buy it so could he kindly let me know if he still wanted it. He didn't bother to reply, though I know he received the multiple requests. I was concerned that he had fallen ill or something and didn't want to think badly, but was none-to-impressed when he simply started posting in discussions again.

This community is one of the finest on the Net in my opinion. I have sold some items on the buy/sell board to people who I consider to be great community members here. I look forward to interact with these same people and many more, and thankfully, there are few who show little respect for others. A few "sub-par" visitors is to be expected, but GetDPI overall has some very responsible and respectful participants.

atanabe

Hate to use the overused term "karma" - what goes around comes around but that is what it boils down to. I had a sale where a member asked me to hold the lens for him till his transaction for one of his sales went through. I agreed and he thanked me profusely, calling me a great gentleman. The next day he emails me that his sale failed - sorry, but thanks anyway. The following day he is posting on this forum that he just bought the same lens that I was selling from another member. By the way, his sale that failed, actually completed. Bitter about being lied to - yes, angry about getting my nose rubbed in it - yes, will I do business with him in the future - no.

I could have posted a negative for him as a buyer but chose not to, one day this gentleman will have to atone for all of this. For me, life goes on, the sun still rises and the stars come out at night. I was taught that a man is only as good as his word and still go by that and always will. I forgive those who don't honor their word - in fact feel really sorry for them.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I know that the mods will not and should not get involved in these situations. Thus, my original post suggestion of "rules" was off the mark, as rules need to be enforced somehow. Maybe we could have some simple expectations for buyers outlined as a sticky, along these lines:

Don't price police
Don't try to knock the price down publicly (use PM's)
If you say you want the item, be prepared to pay for it reasonably promptly at the stated price.
If you say, "I would be prepared to pay $XXX" and the seller says "deal" you have a deal and you should pay the negotiated price reasonably promptly.
If your circumstances change and you cannot go through with the deal, tell the seller asap.

I'm sure others can suggest better ways to say, but what would be the harm?

atanabe

I know that the mods will not and should not get involved in these situations. Thus, my original post suggestion of "rules" was off the mark, as rules need to be enforced somehow. Maybe we could have some simple expectations for buyers outlined as a sticky, along these lines:

Don't price police
Don't try to knock the price down publicly (use PM's)
If you say you want the item, be prepared to pay for it reasonably promptly at the stated price.
If you say, "I would be prepared to pay $XXX" and the seller says "deal" you have a deal and you should pay the negotiated price reasonably promptly.
If your circumstances change and you cannot go through with the deal, tell the seller asap.

I'm sure others can suggest better ways to say, but what would be the harm?
Alan,
What you laid out is proper behavior in a civilized society.

Thank you