The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wherever we go, pigs follow...

kdphotography

Last week I headed out with my son Nicholas to photograph the southwest. I had just taken delivery of my new Phase One IQ180 from Capture Integration in Atlanta and was excited to try out all the new features. I also brought along an IR converted GF1; Nicholas was outfitted with a pimped out GF1. I chose to travel light, bringing only three lenses with my Phase 645DF: the 35mm D, 55mm Schneider LS, and Mamiya 75-150 D. I know it's heresy, but I also chose not to bring the Cube, opting for a much lighter RRS TVC24 CF tripod with Acratech ballhead. The RRS tripod is a real winner, and superbly engineered. A "mini" Cube would be ideal, but the Arca D4 may be a perfect match....

Our itinerary included Monument Valley and Hunt's Mesa---then onto Page, AZ to meet up with Don Libby and photograph the slot canyons. I've received a few requests to relate "user experiences" with the new IQ180, so thought it appropriate to post here. Don can also relate his experiences using both the Leica M9 and Phase P65+ on his Cambo RS. Pretty sweet looking Cambo rig too, with its newly annointed wood handles.

For those familiar with Phase P+ backs, the IQ series will be a pretty seam less transition. Jack Flesher's excellent review of his IQ180 pretty much deflated all my excitement by the time I received my back, there really wasn't much new to learn (or difficult to grasp)---the IQ 180 is just that easy to use for previous Phase shooters.

kdphotography

I booked a full day tour with Tom Phillips, our Navajo guide, see, http://www.monumentvalley.com/ to take us through the back areas of Monument Valley (starting at 0430AM!) and Mystery Valley in the afternoon.

I used the IQ180 mostly set at ISO 35 to 100. Only a few times did I select faster camera speeds, though of note is how quickly and easily it is to select different ISO settings. When possible, I used mirror lock up and an electromagnetic cable release. Settings were mostly manual or AP.

Quick note on Phase 645DF battery life. I used one set of Energizer Lithium AA batteries---on the entire trip. The same set is in the camera and going strong. I prefer the lithium AAs as they are also lighter than normal heavy duty AAs or rechargeables.

The first part of our day tour ran four hours. I used only one Phase battery in the IQ180. Plenty of juice left. I used a fresh Phase battery in the IQ180 in the afternoon for the second four hour tour. Battery life/power management for the IQ series is at least as good as with the Phase P65+ MFDB. And that includes using that big screen.

Last edited:

kdphotography

Ken,

Great shot!!! Re the above, what can I say except, thank you and I'm really sorry?
That's okay, Jack. I promise that, as far as you know, Don and I have remained well-behaved, no matter how many people approach us while we're shooting landscapes, thinking that we're Jack Flesher and Guy Mancuso...:ROTFL:

Last edited:

kdphotography

I haven't done any large printing yet, so I could change my mind. But at this point, the IQ180 really isn't about resolution or megapixels. It's the user interface. That big screen is just sorta nice. Okay, and the little boy (or girl) in all of us wants a new toy. And sometimes it's not about being able to complete the same job with a DSLR, but about pure enjoyment of photography. Side note---I do use a Canon 1Ds Mark III also, but there really is no joy in using that very capable and nice camera. There's just something about working with medium format....and you just simply can't get around that subjective appeal.

The screen is nice, but it is the layout and ease of use that makes the IQ180 so appealing. The use of the small histogram tool on the side makes it extremely easy to determine (and adjust) camera settings and exposure. :thumbup: I brought my lightmeter with me, but it stayed in the bag. For the most part, unfortunately, we had terribly clear blue skies most of the time. But sometimes it isn't always about the photography, but the journey itself. I know this will be a memorable trip for my son Nicholas, especially the 4x4 drive up to camp at Hunt's Mesa.

darr

Lovely work Ken.
It is always nice to hear a father and son journey together! :)

Darr

Don Libby

Thought I share these as well - don't worry Ken the blackmail image(s) are just between you and me....:D

Don Libby

Here's my meager contribution ...

While Ken & Nick were shooting in Monument Valley I was shooting in Bluff crawling in and around cliff dwellings. I took the Monument Valley shoot as I was headed to Page to meet Ken. Both images were taken with my Cambo WRS/P65, the House on Fire was taken with a Schneider 35mm Monument Valley with the Schneider 120.

cs750

Darr, I enjoyed seeing your recent work...particularly the flower photography with the Schneider 120 macro. I presume this same lens could be used with Rm3di? I wonder how it would handle the IQ180? I would hope the IQ180 with focus mask would be ideal for focus stacking. Charles

cs750

Ken, your comments about Energizer Lithium AA batteries have really gotten my attention. I have been using some cheap AA batteries that do not last very long, and will give the Lithium batteries a try. My wife and I will be making our first trip in October to many of the same places you and Don have been writing about..., so keep the information and images flowing. We hope to get some guide work from Tom Philips. A whole day beginning at 4:30 sounds great! Perhaps by that time I will have either a Cambo WRS or Rm3di. Maybe I can get some instruction on using a technical camera at the Capture Integration/Getdpi New Hampshire workshop. If Jack is reading this, let me say I can barely contain myself waiting for his upcoming report on his Rm3di with the IQ180. This is a great Forum and I really appreciate all the contributions so many make to a wonderful knowledge base of sharing. Charles

darr

Darr, I enjoyed seeing your recent work...particularly the flower photography with the Schneider 120 macro. I presume this same lens could be used with Rm3di? I wonder how it would handle the IQ180? I would hope the IQ180 with focus mask would be ideal for focus stacking. Charles
Thank you Charles for your kind words.

I am eagerly waiting for and reading whatever data photographers can share about the R series and the IQ backs. On my next upgrade I am almost certain this is the route I will be taking. I too am curious if the 120 macro works well with the IQ180. I am hoping eventually someone will post pictures of the R series + 120 macro working together. If the R series was available when I purchased my Alpa Max, I would have wanted it instead since I have invested in Arca Swiss over the years and will continue to do so. My studio box is the M2 and that is what I currently use with the 120 macro.

Kind regards,
Darr

kdphotography

Ken, your comments about Energizer Lithium AA batteries have really gotten my attention. I have been using some cheap AA batteries that do not last very long, and will give the Lithium batteries a try. My wife and I will be making our first trip in October to many of the same places you and Don have been writing about..., so keep the information and images flowing. We hope to get some guide work from Tom Philips. A whole day beginning at 4:30 sounds great! Perhaps by that time I will have either a Cambo WRS or Rm3di. Maybe I can get some instruction on using a technical camera at the Capture Integration/Getdpi New Hampshire workshop. If Jack is reading this, let me say I can barely contain myself waiting for his upcoming report on his Rm3di with the IQ180. This is a great Forum and I really appreciate all the contributions so many make to a wonderful knowledge base of sharing. Charles
Hi Charles,

I always keep an extra loaded battery carrier, but for this trip it stayed in the bag. The Energizer Lithiums lasted the whole week easily---and they are lighter to boot. We were lucky (maybe not from Tom's perspective!) to be the only photographers with Tom Phillips all day. You can reach Tom at his website, www.monumentvalley.com His nephew Ray took us up to Hunt's Mesa where we camped overnite. It's pretty light and easy "camping" as Tom/Ray take care of everything from sleeping bags, tents, and food, including steak for dinner and a full hot breakfast in the morning. We were lucky to see a few whispy clouds in the blue sky.

I know that Jack and Guy have both commented on using faster CF memory cards as helping with faster preview and focus mask times for the IQ180. But I have found that faster cards also help in the initial start up of the back as well. I used Sandisk Extreme IVs which became filled the first couple of days. I noticed a slight slow down using Extreme IIIs. Turning on the IQ180 just seemed to take a tad longer for the card to be read/confirmed by the back. I'll be ordering a couple new Extreme Pros for the IQ180 and relegate the IIIs to my Canon DSLR.

I know it has been mentioned by Doug that there *may* be a slight bug between firmware and mirror lockup, but I do think that my impatience in pressing buttons too quickly doesn't help (with slower CF cards too) when turning on the IQ180. The only time that my 645DF locked up and would not recognize the IQ180 ("no db") was in the slot canyons. I distinctly remember having left my camera on accidentally in the bag. A "hard" re-boot by removing all batteries, lens, and back reset the mirror. It hasn't happened since. I still feel the system is quite stable despite being so new, and comparable to when I had my P65+. My guess is that we have two competing firmwares (camera and back) that somewhere are tripping over themselves with the mirror lock-up function. It's way over my head and the white lab coats will need to take a look (at the camera/back---not me). I have no doubt that stability will improve yet further as the system matures.

ken

p.s. No doubt a technical camera makes a great complement for the IQ180, and I'm sure Jack will be the enabler to watch with the RM3di. Capture Integration and GetDPI in New Hampshire is definitely the go-to event this fall.

Don Libby

What Ken hasn't mentioned yet was the true reason for the title....

These images are a duplicate from the Leica portion. All shot with the Leica M9, 24mm lens.

cs750

Thanks Ken, lots of good info here; I will be getting an extra battery carrier soon; I already ordered a 24 pack of Lithium AA batteries, and will check out the Sandisk Extreme IVs. Don, I am still wondering what the title to that post means. Maybe someone will enlighten us all...or I am the only one who doesn't get it. Charles

Last edited:

kdphotography

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
They are fine right now but yes just waiting on the firmware update to get its full potential. I'm ready and waiting for it. Have 3 now