The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lenses.......

fotografz

Fotografz / is it aka 'Mark'

I am Totally hooked on Zeiss Glass.....great Shots for pusjhing the limit /iso wise
Your Pix at the Plaza was in the Palm Court / It was a Lovely spot to have Tea & Sweets or a Cocktail

At present I'm considering an old rolleiflex w/ the 80 planar...I'm whacking out:)

best- h
Yes Helen, Fotografz = Marc.

I used that Zeiss 35/2 on a chrome Leica MP3 before swapping the film camera for a M8. Lovely lens :thumbup:

A

asabet

Zeiss ZF 50 macro @ f/2.8:

This is one of my favorite fifties for sure.

helenhill

Gotta laugh Helen .... "I am having a SERIOUS debate in my Mind to shoot Film /I do realize the hassle
but when i look at B&W and Color ...FILM is Absolutely Rich,Lush & Beautiful....."

I was having the same debate...choosing between a Nikon D700 or a Plaubel Makina 670..... The Plaubel won my heart.... Now my bathroom is turning into a darkroom ... Enlarger and all the stuff that goes with it ...... and there is plenty of stuff ... Could of been so simple ...Mac Book pro a printer and the Nikon D 700 lol ; ) ...... I am understanding now the hassle of which you spoke....... Whacking out for sure ; )
WOW!! I looked up that camera
Quite Fab & PURRfect for the Pocket
but is it hard to find this Jewel ?
would love to see your pixs with this cam
i can see how ir Won your heart....I Want,I Want :thumbs:

helenhill

Back Alley
Stunning.... The Tones are Fab
The sonnar is DIVINE
Do you prefer it to the Planar? (aside from speed)
Cheers! H :D

back alley

i do prefer it to the planar, i'm not a big user of the 50 mm focal length but i think of the sonnar as a 'specialty' lens. i love the look of the images it produces. i had the planar and it is an incredibly sharp lens but i kept the sonnar.

joe

cam

Helen -- the Sonnar can be tricky on the R-D1 but i'm about to be the guinea pig to see if it's doable (i only played with it at the very beginning so maybe it's much less tricky that i remember). IMO, it's a very special lens! but it's got an older style draw (which i love!) and you've been talking about wanting a very modern look. in that case, the Planar is more what you're looking for and the focusing seems spot on.

btw, saw this review on the 18mm Zeiss and thought of you.

helenhill

Helen -- the Sonnar can be tricky on the R-D1 but i'm about to be the guinea pig to see if it's doable (i only played with it at the very beginning so maybe it's much less tricky that i remember). IMO, it's a very special lens! but it's got an older style draw (which i love!) and you've been talking about wanting a very modern look. in that case, the Planar is more what you're looking for and the focusing seems spot on.

R

Thanxs Cam for your Thoughts & Review :)

It is True, overall pixs for myself I LUV Mod and then for Tres Cool & Moody I LUV Old lenses......
whereas when I look at other people's work I adore Old World/lenses

Just got the Canon 35 /1.8 & its Charming ....the way it draws B&W is Stunning /alot more midtones of greys coupled w/the B&W
whereas I Absolutely Adre Color w/Zeiss
I can see :bugeyes: why Sean recommended the Old canon lenses

Best- H

cam

R
It is True, overall pixs for myself I LUV Mod and then for Tres Cool & Moody I LUV Old lenses......

Just got the Canon 35 /1.8 & its Charming ....the way it draws B&W is Stunning /alot more midtones of greys coupled w/the B&W
oooooooooooooooh -- i am jealous beyond words! i've only found really slow ones here...

take a look at this flickr set as it gives the "look" of the Sonnar at different apertures. it will give you a good idea about the draw. (btw, Jono was the first person to gush about this lens so you might want to search some back threads here.)

the best set of photos taken with this lens, IMO, is by Salmonpink. his shots are just stunning, both colour and black and white.

the more i look at, the more i think it combines the old (wider apertures) with the mod (stopped down). it is most definitely a distinctive lens!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I had the Zeiss 18mm with the M8 and it is a brilliant lens. Extremely sharp and with the RD-1 might be a great choice also. Helen do a search here on the Zeiss 18mm . I have a thread that i started awhile back on it.

Hope all is well Cam.

jonoslack

R

Thanxs Cam for your Thoughts & Review :)

Best- H
Hi Helen
What I love about the 1.5 sonnar (probably my most used lens on the M8) is that it is both an old fashioned AND a modern lens.

At f1.5 it's dreamy and soft, with veiling flare, and not unlike the Leica 50 f1. By f2.8 it's sharper, and by f5.6 it's just what you expect from a modern Zeiss lens.

and it's small. . . . . . and it isn't too expensive . . . . . just buy one :)

back alley

i agree with jano, the sonnar 1.5 is like 2 lenses in one.

have you tried a canon 35/2.8 on your drf? it is a lovely old lens, makes the 35/1.8 look 'modern'.

joe

helenhill

hey Joe
Funny enough I did just buy a Canon
the 35 / 1.8
its Lovely .....center crisp ,soft on the edges,quick to focus, beautiful color although NOT as Divine as the Zeiss color wise, & B&W beautiful range in tonality
Is the 2.8 soooo much more ????
I will have to LOOK at flickr
You've got me in a Tizzy :ROTFL:
Lenses can drive you MAD

best- H

bensonga

Does anyone have some images from the ZF 85mm f1.4 or the 35mm f2 to share?

I'm thinking about picking up one or the other of these.......trying to fill a couple of glaring gaps in my lineup of manual focus Nikon mount lenses. I still enjoy shooting with the F3HP from time to time.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

helenhill

Does anyone have some images from the ZF 85mm f1.4 or the 35mm f2 to share?

I'm thinking about picking up one or the other of these.......trying to fill a couple of glaring gaps in my lineup of manual focus Nikon mount lenses. I still enjoy shooting with the F3HP from time to time.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
hi Gary
here are a few FUN pixs I shot at Coney Island
'ZEISS GOES TO CONEY ISLAND' : the 35/2 Biogon on RD1s.....:)

bensonga

Wonderful images Helen! Thanks so much for posting these. Is this the Zeiss ZM 35/f2 Biogon lens? The one that fits on cameras with a Leica M-type rangerfinder mount? I noticed that the 35/f2 Zeiss SLR lenses, like the ZF/Nikon mount, are called Distagons, not Biogons. I suppose this must be a different lens design or something. In any case, I really like the 35mm focal length and it's one I would use alot, so this will be the top of my list....before the 85mm.

Thanks again!

Gary