Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone dabbling in IR

lilmsmaggie

Anyone dabbling in IR

Does anyone here know of any informational sources on Infrared photography?

I recently decided to convert one of my digital cams to IR and was just wondering if anyone here does some IR work or someone who is shooting in IR.

I initially thought for shooting BW IR film but that could mean special handling and processing that might kill my interest.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone dabbling in IR

Hi, Have a look at the IR Image Thread:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...R+image+thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shoot a moderate amount of IR. If you're patient and of an experimental nature, you can probably just try different things and see what happens, and gradually just pick it up yourself. If you prefer a little more hand-holding, there's an OK book on the subject, "David Busch's Digital Infrared Pro Secrets" (available at amazon.com).

Lisa

P.S. If you check my Gallery here at getdpi, I have a number of IR photos there. Just an intro to what can be done, and when it works particularly well...

lilmsmaggie

Thanks Lisa, very nice work!

I'm stuck on filter choice e.g. 590, 665, 720nm or full spectrum. I'm not to creazy about the idea of using external filters. For one thing, they can bet a bit expensive.

Dwain

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I shoot a moderate amount of IR. If you're patient and of an experimental nature, you can probably just try different things and see what happens, and gradually just pick it up yourself. If you prefer a little more hand-holding, there's an OK book on the subject, "David Busch's Digital Infrared Pro Secrets" (available at amazon.com).

Lisa

P.S. If you check my Gallery here at getdpi, I have a number of IR photos there. Just an intro to what can be done, and when it works particularly well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dwain, I have had Panasonic G1's converted to 665 and 715 by Precision camera. I was just seeking advice from Jack (an owner of this forum) on my next conversion, and he feels that you loose about 2 stops with 665 and do not gain that much contrast in the skies. You also have more noise with 665. I have a new G3 that I am sending in to Precision for conversion to 715 shortly. BTW, Jack advised me that you can always put a 665 filter on the front of a 715 converted camera for the best of both worlds.

lilmsmaggie

Hmm ... Most fascinating Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Dwain, I have had Panasonic G1's converted to 665 and 715 by Precision camera. I was just seeking advice from Jack (an owner of this forum) on my next conversion, and he feels that you loose about 2 stops with 665 and do not gain that much contrast in the skies. You also have more noise with 665. I have a new G3 that I am sending in to Precision for conversion to 715 shortly. BTW, Jack advised me that you can always put a 665 filter on the front of a 715 converted camera for the best of both worlds.