Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The end of tolerances reached ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The end of tolerances reached ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What is the point of this post in this thread?
    Is it just one that happens to be open?
    thanks
    -bob
    Stefan and I have been discussing the conflicts between mechanical purism and digital integration. So the thread can actually go on for as long as there is a conflict

The online forum is also a hybrid between mechanical and digital mediums. Typography is mechanical and sequential/linear. But the internet is digital and simultaneous/mosaic. This causes a lot of problems for people that want things to stay linear or "on topic."

The typographic aspects of the forum demand "closure." An example is this thread about tilts and swings: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29495 The question asked by the OP had definitive answers, so it fit perfectly into the typographic medium. There was a clearly defined beginning (question) and closing (answers)....and everybody walked away happy lol

But general statements and aphorisms don't have definitive answers, so they belong to the mosaic/non-linear side of the digital internet forum. Conversations like the "The end of tolerances reached" can go on for as long as people want to continue them. In fact, this thread is a good example of what the future of internet discussion is going to look like. Linear threads that "stay on-topic" can easily be recalled through a search function, so over time there will be less of a need to create them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, then it is off-topic and being moved in-toto to the sunset bar.
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    OK, then it is off-topic and being moved in-toto to the sunset bar.
    thanks
    -bob
    hahaha Bob, a mosaic thread is actually on-topic by being off-topic

Hope that makes sense lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, and I am not amused
    This is a photography forum and it is further sorted into categories. If you want to talk about whatever, then it belongs here.
    There are an awful lot of complaints about threads like these so we are working to enforce it a bit more.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Stefan, best of luck with your business and future

I actually really enjoyed talking to you...we only really scratched the surface

Take care man..I'm pretty much outta here too

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just became aware of this thread. Thanks to all contributors, there's some real food for thought and lots of useful links in here. Off topic? I don't think so. Photography itself is rather off the track compared to what it was just a few years ago. Camera phones today are much more advanced cameras and much more advanced computers than either cameras or computers were only a decade back. This creates a creative market way beyond the industrialised parts of the world that have been participating until recently.

And since this thread is drifting so widely anyway:
    I have friends who live in wooden shacks out in the middle of nowhere in rural parts of Asia. Most of them have never had access to computers or cameras. Now, for $50, they can buy a camera phone that enables them to document and communicate their lives in a way that for them was pure science fiction only a couple of years ago. While high quality image capture and the creativity associated with it has been an elitist industrialised world phenomenon until now, with western travel photographers crisscrossing the world with their Hasselblads and Nikons, documenting the "unknown", the "unknowns" are now about to do that documentation themselves, thus unleashing the creative potential of literally billions of people.

There's a direct line between the $50 Samsung and the $20,000 Hasselblad and all the various iPhone, Nikon and Leica dots in between; in a historical perspective, they all represent bleeding edge technology. But while that kind of technological achievements used to be the domain of men in white laboratory coats, it's now put to good, creative use for an increasing part of the population. And although very few will turn into professional artists, making a living from their photography, this development is changing the lives of a great many people and the political direction of whole nations.

Just thought I'd mention it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not off topic if it has to do only with the meaning of life and everything, so that is why I moved it here so as to expand its scope rather than to limit it by categorization.
    But not everyone seems to be in agreement
    http://www.theonion.com/video/steve-...ogy-has,21229/
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Stefan was the inspiration for the thread so I don't feel like discussing now that he's gone. Banned? ...I know it probably happened for something in another thread or something that isn't public...but it definitely changes my perception of this place. Not that anybody should care...but I'm gonna jump ship in solidarity with Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Sunest Bar is the appropriate spot for this thread given the direction it has taken and the emotion it generated. Feel free to carry-on with it here, however behavior not in compliance with our rules will continue to be dealt with according to how we state they will in those same rules.

Carry on,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Stefan was the inspiration for the thread so I don't feel like discussing now that he's gone. Banned? ...I know it probably happened for something in another thread or something that isn't public...but it definitely changes my perception of this place. Not that anybody should care...but I'm gonna jump ship in solidarity with Stefan
    We cannot change the forum software from the word banned. Its in the software and nothing we can do about it and it does not always mean what the word means. If we could change to about a million other words it would be nice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...ry_visit.shtml
    Given that other brands are continually increasing their megapixel size, will Leica be following the same trend?

No, no more megapixels. It is enough we think. Future development will be concentrating on shooting rates, lower noise, higher Dynamic Range and higher ISO abilities.
    ... a clever company