The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it really this bad for amatuer photographers in the UK?

Yep, it is. I can attest to that from first hand knowledge. I was visiting London a few months ago and was doing some night time photography of The House of Parliament and Big Ben from across the river, not far from the London Eye when I was approached by two police officers. They questioned me and were very interested in what I was photographing. They were polite, but there was no doubt in my mind that I was being treated as a suspect. I was informed that I drew their attention because I was using a tripod. They said I had to give them my identification so they could check me out. They radioed my information into dispatch and after a few minutes I was cleared (not a terrorist). They wrote out an incident report, gave me a copy, and told me to show it if I was stopped by police again while taking photos and it would show that I had already be investigated and cleared.

Since I was a visitor in a foreign country I was very cooperative. I did politely ask them why I was singled out for investigation while there were several other people taking photos in the same area. They said it was because I was using a tripod which would result in sharper photos (this was night time). I wanted so bad to challenge them about why they did not investigate everyone photographing the same location during the daylight hours - after all it wouldn't be much different than night time with tripod. I was so tempting to speak my mind, argue my rights, etc., but I knew there was nothing to be gained by being confrontational with police officers.

Terry

You can't shoot on a tripod at a number of locations in NYC. Last summer I was stopped at Lincoln Center and made to stop.

Robert Campbell

The Amateur Photographer magazine has been waging a campaign for quite some time in the UK about this, lobbying members of parliament etc - so far to no apparent avail.

Ben Rubinstein

It's so silly, a tripod is hardly surrepticious, shouldn't they be looking for suspicious people taking photos with their button hole cameras, no one could really expect a terrorist to be so open?

What is odd about my experience in London is that I was not stopped or questioned after that initial incident. I went back to the same area the next night with my tripod and not a single police officer challenged me and there were plenty around. I was fully expecting to be questioned like the previous time. The application or enforcement of the rules doesn't seem to be consistent.

Mark