Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any Audiophiles around?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Audiophiles around?

Is it time to revive this old thread?

Both my photo gear and hifi priorities have changed since 2011.

Hifi: The McIntosh MR71 tuner, my preamp(s), vinyl collection, turntable, all AMB items etc all gone. I did add a Behringer DEQ2496 eq thing plus the same old Linkwitz speakers. My shelving unit is practically empty! But the sound has never been better: I use the DEQ2496 to auto-eq the system to nicely flat frequency response and the results are simply magnificent. It sounds like something that's been endlessly tweaked, but it takes only a minute or two to execute. Really loving this: I seem to own almost no hifi anymore just the sound.

Cameras: The Leica M8, M9, 28.2.8, 35/2, 40/2 and 50/1, all sold during the Leica-mania years. Am thinking that image quality has become something of a commodity, and sometimes I'm half tempted to simply buy a Canon Rebel plus a couple of good but inexpensive lenses and call it a done deal. I'm increasingly of the opinion that photography is mostly about showing up with a camera.

I'm okay with running a budget surplus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I did not expect the development of the class D amp. I did read a couple of favourable reviews from credible reviewers, but we all know that if we look long enough we will find somebody that will praise any product so it sounds like it is the best buy out there.
    I wasn't prepared that class D has come this far! It sounds almost rediculous if I say it sounds tube-like, but it has texture and character that you would not associate with class D.

Matt, I have had an unforgettable evening with Apogee Divas and Dark side of the moon on vinyl.
    Robert, I would have like to listen/try that Almarro....
    The Almarro is definitely a dark horse in affordable SET amps, I heard one and then found one used here in Brooklyn. It really had that magic that we are all looking for, and it plays well with the efficient Zu's. I could see it being a lifelong partnership. I think it just gets better with better inputs. The guy I bought it from had the same Zu's and some crazy TT which I can't remember the name, near 10k with arm, and it really sounded even better.

Very interested also in the Vinni Rosso Lio....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All things change. My equipment rack is also almost empty. I now have an Oppo 105 as my primary source and even use it as a pre-amp. My amps have gotten very tiny as well and never get turned off. For something a little outside the curve take a look at the custom modulles by Hypex.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ncore/1.html

They sound excellent.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anyone here has listened to the Tidal streaming service, what do you think of it?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    If anyone here has listened to the Tidal streaming service, what do you think of it?
    I tried Tidal HiFi for a while. The quality is good, but selection of HiFi standard music limited. I gave it up because most of the (third world) countries I travel to don't have fast enough internet for streaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    I've been paying for the CD quality Tidal tier and like it a lot. I compared Apple Music with Tidal and you can hear the difference between the different quality streams, mostly in the size and depth of the sound image. Where the difference comes in also is in the provenance of the original, true also for all music, if the source file that they are streaming is good, it sounds good and the compression issues are less important. The problem with all online music services is that you can't tell where the file came from, basically as I understand it Tidal and Spotify etc get their material from another aggregator, and those people don't go around the world looking for the best masters, as say, a label might do in releasing a box set for example. So its a crap shoot. You get in to the debate about Vinyl vs. digital, a lot of it comes back to that, you can actually tell where the disc is from, the mastering chain. In a streaming service you have no idea. So the black stuff can easily outperform the 1/0's in a good system if the original is superior.

I haven't played around with DAC's yet but intend to to see what the differences are. I have a music hall CD dac combo which is cheap. Schiit is one of my favourite American manufacturers and I will be auditioning one of their mid tier Dacs soon.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Class D is a really clever idea. Transistors make excellent fast switches and terrible linear amplifiers. Glad to hear yours sounds wonderful.

Twenty years ago as a bachelor, I had just purchased (used) Apogee Divas in faux orange marble (what can I say, they were almost free), with external crossover, two BAT VK500 amps, a VK5i tube preamp ... when I met my future wife. Difficult to come up with a less spouse friendly setup. The preamp is still with me 20 years later, but a humble Bryston with Audiophysic Virgos has replaced the monsters.

But ... I do most of my listening these days off youtube, where otherwise unpublished live recordings of pianists from the late 19th and early 20th century keep popping up, and the sound quality is terrible. The *music*, on the other hand, makes mdern performance look like joyless gymnastics.

Enjoy!

Matt
    I did not expect the development of the class D amp. I did read a couple of favourable reviews from credible reviewers, but we all know that if we look long enough we will find somebody that will praise any product so it sounds like it is the best buy out there.
    I wasn't prepared that class D has come this far! It sounds almost rediculous if I say it sounds tube-like, but it has texture and character that you would not associate with class D.

Matt, I have had an unforgettable evening with Apogee Divas and Dark side of the moon on vinyl.
    Robert, I would have like to listen/try that Almarro....

Do either of you still have the Divas? My dream speaker for sure. I have a set of 1-ohm Scintilla's I'm looking to restore, but I don't know if I'm better off patiently waiting for a set of Divas/DAX to become available.
    La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, the Divas are long gone.

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 27th October 2015 at 11:10.

Post Thanks / Like

No, the Divas long gone.

--Matt
    Sorry to hear, Matt. At least you had a set. In my circles, no one even knew what Apogees were.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiTerminator View Post
    Do either of you still have the Divas?
    I have never had the Divas myself, but I have a friend who did. Very nice indeed.
    But I have had a few nice ones, B&W 802 matrix, Focal 937 Be, QRS Supernova, Totem Model One Signature, Revel F30, Jamo 909 and my current Tidal Piano Cera.
    Last edited by danlindberg; 27th October 2015 at 12:08. Reason: edit: forgot my Dynaudio Contour 3.0
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had the Divas myself, but I have a friend who did. Very nice indeed.
    But I have had a few nice ones, B&W 802 matrix, Focal 937 Be, QRS Supernova, Totem Model One Signature, Revel F30, Jamo 909 and my current Tidal Piano Cera.
    I'd say more than a few, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiTerminator View Post
    I'd say more than a few, LOL.
    Yeah, true, but the first pair of quality speakers I bought were the B&W 802 Matrix and this was in the mid eighties, so you really have to divide my list with 30 years and then it looks quite sane.....
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, true, but the first pair of quality speakers I bought were the B&W 802 Matrix and this was in the mid eighties, so you really have to divide my list with 30 years and then it looks quite sane.....
    I wonder if that logic will work with the wife with some upcoming MFD equipment purchases?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still stuck on my Rotel HT receiver and some DynAudio speakers.
    We still have my wife's BW110s. I would love a pair of BW Matrix. Might see if I can hunt a pair down.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rotel and Paradigm setup but looking for a couple of pair of good headphones a sub-$500 travel set (leaning towards Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine's maybe) and a good sub $1500 pair (thinking Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2/3, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-560, etc) plus maybe a Schiit Stack DAC/Amp combo.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I have a Rotel and Paradigm setup but looking for a couple of pair of good headphones a sub-$500 travel set (leaning towards Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine's maybe) and a good sub $1500 pair (thinking Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2/3, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-560, etc) plus maybe a Schiit Stack DAC/Amp combo.
    For home use, I'm extremely happy with my AKG K550 because of their exceptionally open, precise sound. Some think the bottom end is a bit weak, but it doesn't bother me at all, since I mostly listen to acoustic music anyway. They have since been replaced by the K553 which is fantastic value also. Unfortunately they are large, not foldable and have a 3 meter fixed cable, so they aren't very suitable for travel. I haven't tried the higher end AKG phones, which is just as well, or at least my wallet thinks so

The JBL E50 that I used for travel has a problem, the right channel being completely silent, and since getting stuff like this repaired seems to be a major challenge (I bought them at an airport, so no going back to the shop to get it fixed, lesson learned). While killing time at the airport in Manila a few days ago, I tried different headphones, and one set that impressed me was the smaller JBL E30. Again, they are not bass heavy (the E50 is a bit muddy at the bottom), but feature a very clear and open sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a headphone audiophile myself but understand the Audioquest Nighthawks are a really nice set of cans for not a huge amount of money. Supposed to be very comfortable too. AQ has implemented some true and rather unusual state of the art attributes with these as well.

Hope this helps.

In the meantime below are a couple of pics of our media room, though its still a work in progress. Some things just never get finished around here.

Attachment 123846
    www.roboutlawphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's rare to see a medium format digital photographer that has any money left
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    It's rare to see a medium format digital photographer that has any money left
    It's all about priorities. IMHO audiophile gear has a longer life ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    It's all about priorities. IMHO audiophile gear has a longer life ...
    I worked (moonlighting) in the hifi industry for a few years post 9/11. One of the interesting facts is, the average audiophile makes an upgrade either major or minor about every 18 months. Given the price of some of this gear, thats an amazing statistic. But you are certainly correct most of this gear can last for many years, if you don't get the upgrade itch. And there is a huge amount of this stuff being bought and sold used on the internet.

Its an interesting industry and hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan,

I have suffered from the audiophile illness for more than 25 years!

Fortunately, I love good music and not just collecting equipment.

I am currently building my first audio room in my house and a "New" Black and White Darkroom in my basement.

I did black and white photography for 15 years before I moved into a house that did not have a basement.

I have a set of custom 845 vacuum tube mono-block amplifiers which my friend built for me. I also have a Coincident Line Stage preamplifier and Quad ESL 63 speakers. I will convert all of my CDs to WAV files and play them from a dedicated music server I am building which is fed to a Musical Paradise MP-D2 vacuum tube Dac. This has the most natural sound I have heard from a D/A converter.

I'll post some photos when I complete the audio room.

How do you like the 120mm N lens? I would like to get a 120mm Schneider for my Arca Swiss Monolith.
    I don't know if I can find any new Schneider lenses, since they stopped all manufacturing of the technical camera lenses last year.

Enjoy!

Mike

Thought there simply must be more with the audiophile illness

My setup is Burmester 956 mk2 + Burmester 011 + Burmester 001 + R909 + Jorma Origo.

Would be nice to see more MFDB audiophiles

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post

Following this post up a bit. I bought the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 and a Schiit Stack (actually I substituted the Magni 2 Uber for a Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber) this week but waiting on them to come in. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Hifiman Edition X V1 after auditioning them (along with the 400i, 400s, Audeze EL-8 Open/Closed, Audeze LCD-X, Audeze LCD-3, Master & Dynamic MH40, and a bunch of Grado's) since they've become half-priced since the Hifiman Edition X V2's were released.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Today is a good day

After 4 years, I have FINALLY received my beloved Burmester 011 preamplifier. I have spent all day to make it work and is now playing David Gilmour....

On top, Burmester 011 and to the left a Burmester DAC 113 (with a squeezebox). Just under is an integrated Gato Audio DIA 400 that I have configured to a pure power amplifier. Next is a Bladelius Freja CD player. Speakers are Tidal Piano Cera (loooovely). Speaker cables Transparent Ultra mm2.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Dan, I'm so sorry. I've heard Burmester and that's an addiction I ran screaming from.

Congrats!

Matt
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Dan, I'm so sorry. I've heard Burmester and that's an addiction I ran screaming from.

Congrats!

Matt
    Matt, that is so true! I'm a victim. I had to sell my Burmester 956 mk2 to help our move back to Spain a few years back. But the mission is to get one back. There is no point in looking elsewhere, it is amazingly good.

In my view, Burmester is like Alpa - once you get to know the system - it really is for life