The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Audiophiles around?

danlindberg

Thanks for nice comments guys. And that looks really interesting JMaher! Cool setup :)

I have just recieved info that my speakers will probably not be delivered this year :wtf: January is more realistic. That is sooo not good!!!

On top, I was at the high end exhibition in Gothenburg last weekend and several rooms were exceptional. I have been to many exhibitions, but this one tops them all in sonic quality. But, it did not help my wait for my speakers :(

jonoslack

Hmmmm - I haven't spent any money on hifi since 1999 (unless you count a meridian m80).
we have
quad 30/303
quad 66/606
quad 77

all rather old hat - but it sounds good

. . . p.s. Silas has my father's 44/403?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hmmmm - I haven't spent any money on hifi since 1999 (unless you count a meridian m80).
we have
quad 30/303
quad 66/606
quad 77

all rather old hat - but it sounds good

. . . p.s. Silas has my father's 44/403?
2001 for me....

Linn, Naim ARC in the past.

Quad ESLs were the most convincing presentation I have heard...

Presently Spectral Chord and ProAc Response speakers...running all through
iTunes with outboard DAC to preAmp. Apple Remote via iphone controls system from anywhere via WiFi.

Recently started buying music from iTunes as no stores locally are carrying any decent CDs or LPs.

If I get two hours a month to listen critically I am doing well...

Bob

Arjuna

Quad ESL's here, although Naim amps replaced the Quad ones around 20 to 25 years ago; no changes since then.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh Boy. I had Apogee Divas for about a year.. and then got married. Driven by a pair of BAT VK-500s and a BAT Tube preamp. Now I'm reduced to some Audio Physic Virgos and a Bryston amp.

But the Piano!.... 1898 Steinway D.

Pardon the iPhone pic. I was trying to show the rug.

And an abstract.

I sure miss the Divas, though, :rolleyes:

Matt

d.clin.design

Another electrostatic fan.
Got a set of Quad 57 which I finished making new legs for a few month ago. Here is a write up I did about it.

http://dclindesign.wordpress.com/quad57stand/

System consist of

Quad 57 Electrostatic Speakers
McIntosh C2300 Tube Pre
2 x McIntosh MC275 V Tube amp
ClearAudio Custom Solution (One off custom I had Musical Surrounding build for me. Essentially a double deck Master Solution with Carbon Satisfy arm and Benz Glider)
Opera Audio Consonance Droplet 5.0 tube CDP
Theta DS Pro II DAC
Airport Express :)D)
Harmonic Technology wires through out.

Here is a very poor iphone shot of my current setup. Been meaning to do some justice to my system and shoot better pictures of it. One of these days...

D&A

Another electrostatic fan.
Got a set of Quad 57 which I finished making new legs for a few month ago. Here is a write up I did about it.

http://dclindesign.wordpress.com/quad57stand/

System consist of

Quad 57 Electrostatic Speakers
McIntosh C2300 Tube Pre
2 x McIntosh MC275 V Tube amp
ClearAudio Custom Solution (One off custom I had Musical Surrounding build for me. Essentially a double deck Master Solution with Carbon Satisfy arm and Benz Glider)
Opera Audio Consonance Droplet 5.0 tube CDP
Theta DS Pro II DAC
Airport Express :)D)
Harmonic Technology wires through out.

Here is a very poor iphone shot of my current setup. Been meaning to do some justice to my system and shoot better pictures of it. One of these days...
Lovely,

I long lusted over a pair of Quads years ago after I heard them demo'ed a number of time with some fabulous vocal recordings. Their mid-tones not to be surrpassed and vowed one day to find a nice pair. I ended up with Magnipans, which in some ways satisfied my desire for the Quads...but not completely :)

Just a question for anyone reading this thread. I'll probably be selling my "LN" SME V arm which was recently completely gone over by SME, where I sent it to England. It will be part of a package along with my Oracle Delphi III turtable with older Grado cartridge. Once thats done, I may turn to my LP collection. Of course there's "The Bay" but although I've been an audiophile for many years, I never found time to join any of the audiophle websites (especially which were highly regarded) and which ones were exceptionally good and reliable for selling high end audio gear. Thanks for any feedback in this regard.

Dave (D&A)

mjm6

Audiogon for sure. I'm not sure I would look anywhere else for selling.

I'm between audio systems right now... but have had Pass Labs, EAD, Cary, Sonic Frontiers and McIntosh electronics in the past, and Magnepan, Hales Design Group, Aerial Acoustics and B+W speakers. I run a Sonos right now, and find that I listen to much more music because of the ready availability of the music in each room of the house rather than sitting down to listen carefully to a system in a single room.

I'm moving in less than a month, and in the new studio/darkroom space, I'll set up a proper audio system. Possibly a pair of Sonus Faber and maybe Cary amp. I might get an MC275 back, I loved that amp...

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is this weekend out here in Colorado for anyone in the area. I guess it's considered the premier audio show in the US these days.

B

boyzo

Pluto's are great.
I did hear the Orion's at the linkwitz home in Nth CA MArin County .. they too are amazing.

I still run a Linkwitz active system I built ( Sat's + Subs)

Linkwitz is quite a Photographer too ;-)

That's a really nice setup you've got, Dan!

I have become more of an audio DIYer. I go online and look for projects designed by folks who seem to have serious engineering smarts combined with a love of music. If their designs rely on exotic parts, like $900 capacitors, I move on, but if they seem to deliver the sonic goods using mostly decent industrial-quality components, I get really interested.

My system consists of:

Linkwitz Pluto speakers
http://linkwitzlab.com/
I bought major components for the speaker cabinets in the plumbing section of McGuckin Hardware :D They sound fabulous IMO.

AMB Alpha 10 preamp (hope to have it done later this year or early next)
http://www.amb.org/audio/alpha10/

AMB Gamma 2 DAC
http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

Also:
Squeezebox Touch
Technics SL1200 turntable (Replaces my Linn Sondek)

Back in the 1980s, I spent an awful lot of money on audio gear, but I seem to be turning into a more of a miser as I get older!

B

boyzo

Gorgeous speakers ... dipoles are a legend now that Linkwitz made people take notice.

Great shot beautiful setting

Enjoy, music is one of today's pleasures.....

Thought there simply must be more with the audiophile illness :D

My setup is Burmester 956 mk2 + Burmester 011 + Burmester 001 + R909 + Jorma Origo.

Would be nice to see more MFDB audiophiles ;)

d.clin.design

Lovely,

I long lusted over a pair of Quads years ago after I heard them demo'ed a number of time with some fabulous vocal recordings. Their mid-tones not to be surrpassed and vowed one day to find a nice pair. I ended up with Magnipans, which in some ways satisfied my desire for the Quads...but not completely :)

Dave (D&A)
I used to be a Martin Logan guy. But I came across a mint pair of fully rebuilt Quad 57 that I just couldn't resist. I heard a lot of speakers from Wilsons to Avantgarde. They all sound wonderful, but nothing reproduce the midrange vocals like the Quad 57. I'm just waiting on a pair a JL Phantom F112 and I think I have completed my dream audio system.

Like what the other said, I found most of these from Audiogon.

D&A

I used to be a Martin Logan guy. But I came across a mint pair of fully rebuilt Quad 57 that I just couldn't resist. I heard a lot of speakers from Wilsons to Avantgarde. They all sound wonderful, but nothing reproduce the midrange vocals like the Quad 57. I'm just waiting on a pair a JL Phantom F112 and I think I have completed my dream audio system.

Like what the other said, I found most of these from Audiogon.
Thanks for the info! I also used Martin Logan. Tonally. they were better balanced than the Maggies but the Maggies (III) were more transparent in the upper octives due to their ribbon tweeter. Still nothing was sweeter in the midrange than those Quads and as you pointed out, vocals had to be heard to be believed. BY the way I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

S

Shelby Lewis

Damn... this forum already has me spending enough on my camera gear :D

I've long been a "budget" audiophile, and am between systems right now... I just have a "user" system for the family (small children present) that is primarily marantz. Marantz SACD player and home theater receiver, and some mid-range (non-audiophile) mirage towers/sub for watching tv with.

With my return to grad school last year, my budget for audio equipment is gone (and we live in a tiny on-campus apartment), so I'm looking to bulk up a computer-driven head-fi system. Been demoing various software players (decibel, pure music, and amarra) with an eye towards running them out of my macbook pro through a usb DAC (probably HRT music streamer II+) and into a CI Audio VHP-2 Headphone amp into a set of Sennheiser 650's.

I like the detail retrieval of some of the Beyer cans as well... but have tinnitus from playing trumpet in pit orchestras for years... so I have to keep the highs in check to keep my ears from ringing worse than they already do. The Senns are just "gentle" enough on the high end to not exacerbate the ringing too much.

What fun!

That said... I'm also getting my vinyl collection out of storage... oh how nice it would sound through a pair of Quads. :thumbs:

jlm

Workshop Member
this weekend end I get to diddle around with my Linn turntable...the motor needs a lube job, etc.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Disclaimer: Red-wine induced reply.

I've been lusting for a McIntosh amp for a long time. Probably more nostalgia than hard tech. I'm at a point with my current user system where a next level will be measurably different/better. A little like the difference between a $10 bottle of red and a $25 bottle. I look forward to that next leap and will probably peak there. Unlikely I'll ever spring for the truly stratospheric gear.

Tim

p.s. Holy crap, what a beautiful piano!

Agnius

I don't think I qualify as a "high end" audiophile, most of my gear is at least 10 (or more) years old. It all sounds good to me, so why needlessly upgrade?

There is my usual night sound setup as I am working on my 'puter:

Stax Lambda PRO, Stax SRM-1/MK-2 amp, MOTU Traveler DSP, FLAC/MP3 files. Keeps my neighbors asleep.

For daytime I have pair of Paradigm Atoms, Krell KAV-300i pre/amp, Traveler DSP and FLAC/MP3.

Happy listening!