The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Audiophiles around?

Yeah, true, but the first pair of quality speakers I bought were the B&W 802 Matrix and this was in the mid eighties, so you really have to divide my list with 30 years and then it looks quite sane.....:p
I wonder if that logic will work with the wife with some upcoming MFD equipment purchases? :p :ROTFL:

Tim

I'm still stuck on my Rotel HT receiver and some DynAudio speakers.
We still have my wife's BW110s. I would love a pair of BW Matrix. Might see if I can hunt a pair down.

iiiNelson

I have a Rotel and Paradigm setup but looking for a couple of pair of good headphones a sub-$500 travel set (leaning towards Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine's maybe) and a good sub $1500 pair (thinking Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2/3, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-560, etc) plus maybe a Schiit Stack DAC/Amp combo.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a Rotel and Paradigm setup but looking for a couple of pair of good headphones a sub-$500 travel set (leaning towards Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine's maybe) and a good sub $1500 pair (thinking Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2/3, Beyerdynamic T1, HifiMan HE-560, etc) plus maybe a Schiit Stack DAC/Amp combo.
For home use, I'm extremely happy with my AKG K550 because of their exceptionally open, precise sound. Some think the bottom end is a bit weak, but it doesn't bother me at all, since I mostly listen to acoustic music anyway. They have since been replaced by the K553 which is fantastic value also. Unfortunately they are large, not foldable and have a 3 meter fixed cable, so they aren't very suitable for travel. I haven't tried the higher end AKG phones, which is just as well, or at least my wallet thinks so :)

The JBL E50 that I used for travel has a problem, the right channel being completely silent, and since getting stuff like this repaired seems to be a major challenge (I bought them at an airport, so no going back to the shop to get it fixed, lesson learned). While killing time at the airport in Manila a few days ago, I tried different headphones, and one set that impressed me was the smaller JBL E30. Again, they are not bass heavy (the E50 is a bit muddy at the bottom), but feature a very clear and open sound.

routlaw

I'm not a headphone audiophile myself but understand the Audioquest Nighthawks are a really nice set of cans for not a huge amount of money. Supposed to be very comfortable too. AQ has implemented some true and rather unusual state of the art attributes with these as well.

Hope this helps.

In the meantime below are a couple of pics of our media room, though its still a work in progress. Some things just never get finished around here. :eek:

View attachment 123846

routlaw

It's all about priorities. IMHO audiophile gear has a longer life ...
I worked (moonlighting) in the hifi industry for a few years post 9/11. One of the interesting facts is, the average audiophile makes an upgrade either major or minor about every 18 months. Given the price of some of this gear, thats an amazing statistic. But you are certainly correct most of this gear can last for many years, if you don't get the upgrade itch. And there is a huge amount of this stuff being bought and sold used on the internet.

Its an interesting industry and hobby.

nikonf

Hi Dan,

I have suffered from the audiophile illness for more than 25 years!

Fortunately, I love good music and not just collecting equipment.

I am currently building my first audio room in my house and a "New" Black and White Darkroom in my basement.

I did black and white photography for 15 years before I moved into a house that did not have a basement.

I have a set of custom 845 vacuum tube mono-block amplifiers which my friend built for me. I also have a Coincident Line Stage preamplifier and Quad ESL 63 speakers. I will convert all of my CDs to WAV files and play them from a dedicated music server I am building which is fed to a Musical Paradise MP-D2 vacuum tube Dac. This has the most natural sound I have heard from a D/A converter.

I'll post some photos when I complete the audio room.

How do you like the 120mm N lens? I would like to get a 120mm Schneider for my Arca Swiss Monolith.
I don't know if I can find any new Schneider lenses, since they stopped all manufacturing of the technical camera lenses last year.

Enjoy!

Mike

Thought there simply must be more with the audiophile illness :D

My setup is Burmester 956 mk2 + Burmester 011 + Burmester 001 + R909 + Jorma Origo.

Would be nice to see more MFDB audiophiles ;)

iiiNelson

Following this post up a bit. I bought the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 and a Schiit Stack (actually I substituted the Magni 2 Uber for a Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber) this week but waiting on them to come in. Right now I'm leaning towards getting the Hifiman Edition X V1 after auditioning them (along with the 400i, 400s, Audeze EL-8 Open/Closed, Audeze LCD-X, Audeze LCD-3, Master & Dynamic MH40, and a bunch of Grado's) since they've become half-priced since the Hifiman Edition X V2's were released.

danlindberg

Today is a good day ;)

After 4 years, I have FINALLY received my beloved Burmester 011 preamplifier. I have spent all day to make it work and is now playing David Gilmour....

On top, Burmester 011 and to the left a Burmester DAC 113 (with a squeezebox). Just under is an integrated Gato Audio DIA 400 that I have configured to a pure power amplifier. Next is a Bladelius Freja CD player. Speakers are Tidal Piano Cera (loooovely). Speaker cables Transparent Ultra mm2.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh Dan, I'm so sorry. I've heard Burmester and that's an addiction I ran screaming from. :grin:

Congrats!

Matt

danlindberg

Oh Dan, I'm so sorry. I've heard Burmester and that's an addiction I ran screaming from. :grin:

Congrats!

Matt
Matt, that is so true! I'm a victim. I had to sell my Burmester 956 mk2 to help our move back to Spain a few years back. But the mission is to get one back. There is no point in looking elsewhere, it is amazingly good.

In my view, Burmester is like Alpa - once you get to know the system - it really is for life :thumbup:

danlindberg

My hifi setup now.....

Amp ›› Burmester 036
Pre ›› Burmester 011
Dac ›› Burmester 113
Speakers ›› Tidal Piano Cera
Cables ›› Transparent Ultra mm2

JohnBrew

Interesting thread. I don't quite have the high end equipment most of you have, but OTOH, the only device I've replaced was my CD player, 16 years ago! (which pales into insignificance compared to my camera indulgence) Still with Paradigm speakers and Linn integrated amp I bought in the mid 90's! I also had a Linn turntable but when someone offered me more than I paid for it (!) it went bye-bye along with most of my vinyl.

4season

Has it really been more than 2 years since my last post in this thread? Amazing.

As of early 2018 I'm feeling like the proverbial kid-in-a-candy-store, only this candy store has fire-sale pricing: Fiio F9 IEMs have been a revelation as far as headphone listening goes.

And photo-wise, lenses like the Olympus Zuiko 25/1.2 make me wonder if M43 might be all I really need! All the shallow DOF one could ask for, and the out-of-focus rendition is gorgeous too. Lots smaller and lighter than the full-frame equivalent to boot.