Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Audiophiles around?

Post Thanks / Like

Any Audiophiles around?

Thought there simply must be more with the audiophile illness

My setup is Burmester 956 mk2 + Burmester 011 + Burmester 001 + R909 + Jorma Origo.

Would be nice to see more MFDB audiophiles
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Audiophiles around?

I'm more of an ogler. I don't have the extra $$ to spend on the really high-end stuff (your setup is beautiful, BTW), and have had to compromise on a really nice HT setup that sounds pretty good on audio only, but it's certainly not high-end in any way (except arguably for the tweaked Jolida tube CD player that I never use).

Here's a write-up on my HT:

http://www.samoht.com/wiki/wiki.pl?My_Home_Theater

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely an audiophile. Nothing to show right now as I just moved and I am still unpacking. However in a week or so there will be a small system with a Cary Audio CD500, an SLP-03 pre-amp and a Cinema 5 amplifier playing a custom made pair of speakers made by a friend of mine. I have had many hi-end combinations over the past 30 years. Your system looks spectacular and I am sure it sounds fantastic as well. I have ever never heard your speakers but Burmester makes very nice equipment and I have heard some of their systems at CES.

Jim
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still living off of my watt-puppy sevens, BAT VK-6200 five channel amp, Lexicon MC-12, Ayre 1Dx, Rel sub and Linn Sondek

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, great stuff guys Actually when I auditioned the R909 three years ago, the contender was Watt/Puppy 7 and I had a few sleepness nights before deciding.

So, in three years my setup has been unchanged and yesterday I had a long conversation with my dealer and I am changing speakers. Not that I am unhappy, but rather that I fell in love with the sophistication of Tidal Piano Cera. This is a remarkable speaker and I am quite certain that I will live with those for 10-15 years with great enjoyment. The soundstage is enormous and the speakers completely disappear in the room. They will not play AC/DC with the determination of the R909, but on the other hand, jazz and sing/song will be lifelike, grainless and utterly enjoyable.

I will also change cables for Transparent Reference.
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    ... and I am quite certain that I will live with those for 10-15 years with great enjoyment.
    Now, where did I hear that before...
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, I know, I know.....I have heard it many times too. Maybe I should say, "my ambition is to keep them for atleast 10 years..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

10 years with the same speaker and you call yourself an audiophile

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone into the vintage equipment? I have some 1960's Macintosh, Fisher and Marantz tube pieces and corner horns from EV and Altec that I haven't used for years. Like to find a new home for most of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Using my self built Atlas speaker system since more than 7 years by now, I don't know whether I am qualified for being an audiophile. These speakers are driven by a self designed PSE 211-tube-amplifier, which itself is driven by another self designed tube pre-amplifier. All stages are coupled by interstage transformers. Sources are a SACD-player and a Project turn table.

Regards,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like

Good equipment is good equipment even forty years later. I have dahlquist dq 10's, I used to power it with a dyna 70, but in the 80' s I switched to adcom and a hafler preamp. It is a sweet sound for acoustic or voice,which is what I listen to,the sound stage has a lot of dimensionality, but like most equipment of this type the room is far more limiting then the equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Good equipment is good equipment also after many years, but part of the hobby is the experimentation of changing one or more factors in the setup once in a while.
    I am so looking forward to my new speakers being manufactured right now! I have auditioned them and I was blown away with its transparency and coherence. Amazing stuff!
    I will have to have patiance though, 1-2 months delivery

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really nice setup you've got, Dan!

I have become more of an audio DIYer. I go online and look for projects designed by folks who seem to have serious engineering smarts combined with a love of music. If their designs rely on exotic parts, like $900 capacitors, I move on, but if they seem to deliver the sonic goods using mostly decent industrial-quality components, I get really interested.

My system consists of:

Linkwitz Pluto speakers
    http://linkwitzlab.com/
    I bought major components for the speaker cabinets in the plumbing section of McGuckin Hardware They sound fabulous IMO.

AMB Alpha 10 preamp (hope to have it done later this year or early next)
    http://www.amb.org/audio/alpha10/

AMB Gamma 2 DAC
    http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

Also:
    Squeezebox Touch
    Technics SL1200 turntable (Replaces my Linn Sondek)

Back in the 1980s, I spent an awful lot of money on audio gear, but I seem to be turning into a more of a miser as I get older!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful setup!! I just sold my KRK VXT 8's due to the bad RF pickup and got myself some Dynaudio's. Not as high end as your setup perhaps but it works great in small spaces. Now looking to upgrade my audio interface (DAC) Thinking about the Apogee Duet 2

4season: How's that AMB Gamma 2 working out for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another here, but more in the 35mm comparison range. I used to have a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 and Premier 16LS2, but sold them when I got more into photography. My first hifi amp was the Conrad Johnson CAV-50, and that still does the job for me. I use Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers, a Cary 306/200 cd player, and a Music Hall MMF-9 turntable. Headphones are my favorite for hifi though...I used to be a moderator at a big headphone website...the spiritual equivalent of this place. It used to be a few hundred members, but is now huge and corporate, so I don't spend much time there anymore. I have had tons of different headphones, but now it's down to (heh) some Grado HP2's, RS-1's, AKG-K1000's, Stax Omega 2's and the SR-507 Lambdas. My headphone amps have mostly been made for me by friends...the dynamic one is based on a Melos SHA-Gold, and the is a Kevin Gilmore Solid State amp. The nice thing about headphones is that even the most expensive tend to pale in comparison to Leica prices!!!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice system. The Conrad Johnson, Sonus Faber and Cary sound like a very musical combination.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmace127 View Post
    I like it a lot, no complaints about the sonics at all. A little bit confusing to build it though, as there are a number of different options available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Jim,
    Sorry I missed your comment. Yes, the CJ and Sonus Faber work really well together! I think the Cary balances well, as it is not as lush as the other too, so it brings it back from being a bit too warm. Overall though, it is a really relaxed lovely sound, which is my general taste...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart,

I am out of town most of the week but when I get back I'll add a picture of my new setup. It's very much a relaxed sound with primarily Cary equipment. My speakers are made by a friend but have a sound not too different than yours.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A picture of my system still in the process of being set-up. The center stack is for audio and the rest for video or maybe a music server.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for nice comments guys. And that looks really interesting JMaher! Cool setup

I have just recieved info that my speakers will probably not be delivered this year January is more realistic. That is sooo not good!!!

On top, I was at the high end exhibition in Gothenburg last weekend and several rooms were exceptional. I have been to many exhibitions, but this one tops them all in sonic quality. But, it did not help my wait for my speakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like a great setup Jim! Very clean looking too...mine is a rat's nest of cables! No wife to make me clean it up I guess!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmmm - I haven't spent any money on hifi since 1999 (unless you count a meridian m80).
    we have
    quad 30/303
    quad 66/606
    quad 77

all rather old hat - but it sounds good

. . . p.s. Silas has my father's 44/403?

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmmmm - I haven't spent any money on hifi since 1999 (unless you count a meridian m80).
    we have
    quad 30/303
    quad 66/606
    quad 77

all rather old hat - but it sounds good

. . . p.s. Silas has my father's 44/403?
    2001 for me....

Linn, Naim ARC in the past.

Quad ESLs were the most convincing presentation I have heard...

Presently Spectral Chord and ProAc Response speakers...running all through
    iTunes with outboard DAC to preAmp. Apple Remote via iphone controls system from anywhere via WiFi.

Recently started buying music from iTunes as no stores locally are carrying any decent CDs or LPs.

If I get two hours a month to listen critically I am doing well...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quad ESL's here, although Naim amps replaced the Quad ones around 20 to 25 years ago; no changes since then.

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to Quad 2905 last saturday together with an Accuphase setup and it was indeed lovely.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Boy. I had Apogee Divas for about a year.. and then got married. Driven by a pair of BAT VK-500s and a BAT Tube preamp. Now I'm reduced to some Audio Physic Virgos and a Bryston amp.

But the Piano!.... 1898 Steinway D.

Pardon the iPhone pic. I was trying to show the rug.

And an abstract.

I sure miss the Divas, though,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simple, just get a diva to come play the piano. It's likely to sound AND look better. Higher maintenance though, most likely...

Post Thanks / Like

Another electrostatic fan.
    Got a set of Quad 57 which I finished making new legs for a few month ago. Here is a write up I did about it.

http://dclindesign.wordpress.com/quad57stand/

System consist of

Quad 57 Electrostatic Speakers
    McIntosh C2300 Tube Pre
    2 x McIntosh MC275 V Tube amp
    ClearAudio Custom Solution (One off custom I had Musical Surrounding build for me. Essentially a double deck Master Solution with Carbon Satisfy arm and Benz Glider)
    Opera Audio Consonance Droplet 5.0 tube CDP
    Theta DS Pro II DAC
    Airport Express ()
    Harmonic Technology wires through out.

Here is a very poor iphone shot of my current setup. Been meaning to do some justice to my system and shoot better pictures of it. One of these days...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d.clin.design View Post
    Another electrostatic fan.
    Got a set of Quad 57 which I finished making new legs for a few month ago. Here is a write up I did about it.

http://dclindesign.wordpress.com/quad57stand/

System consist of

Quad 57 Electrostatic Speakers
    McIntosh C2300 Tube Pre
    2 x McIntosh MC275 V Tube amp
    ClearAudio Custom Solution (One off custom I had Musical Surrounding build for me. Essentially a double deck Master Solution with Carbon Satisfy arm and Benz Glider)
    Opera Audio Consonance Droplet 5.0 tube CDP
    Theta DS Pro II DAC
    Airport Express ()
    Harmonic Technology wires through out.

Here is a very poor iphone shot of my current setup. Been meaning to do some justice to my system and shoot better pictures of it. One of these days...
    Lovely,

I long lusted over a pair of Quads years ago after I heard them demo'ed a number of time with some fabulous vocal recordings. Their mid-tones not to be surrpassed and vowed one day to find a nice pair. I ended up with Magnipans, which in some ways satisfied my desire for the Quads...but not completely

Just a question for anyone reading this thread. I'll probably be selling my "LN" SME V arm which was recently completely gone over by SME, where I sent it to England. It will be part of a package along with my Oracle Delphi III turtable with older Grado cartridge. Once thats done, I may turn to my LP collection. Of course there's "The Bay" but although I've been an audiophile for many years, I never found time to join any of the audiophle websites (especially which were highly regarded) and which ones were exceptionally good and reliable for selling high end audio gear. Thanks for any feedback in this regard.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave,

Not sure where you are located but the fastest way to sell high end audio equipment in the US is Audiogon.
    http://www.audiogon.com/

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Audiogon for sure. I'm not sure I would look anywhere else for selling.

I'm between audio systems right now... but have had Pass Labs, EAD, Cary, Sonic Frontiers and McIntosh electronics in the past, and Magnepan, Hales Design Group, Aerial Acoustics and B+W speakers. I run a Sonos right now, and find that I listen to much more music because of the ready availability of the music in each room of the house rather than sitting down to listen carefully to a system in a single room.

I'm moving in less than a month, and in the new studio/darkroom space, I'll set up a proper audio system. Possibly a pair of Sonus Faber and maybe Cary amp. I might get an MC275 back, I loved that amp...

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is this weekend out here in Colorado for anyone in the area. I guess it's considered the premier audio show in the US these days.
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

boyzo

Pluto's are great.
    I did hear the Orion's at the linkwitz home in Nth CA MArin County .. they too are amazing.

I still run a Linkwitz active system I built ( Sat's + Subs)

Linkwitz is quite a Photographer too ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    That's a really nice setup you've got, Dan!

I have become more of an audio DIYer. I go online and look for projects designed by folks who seem to have serious engineering smarts combined with a love of music. If their designs rely on exotic parts, like $900 capacitors, I move on, but if they seem to deliver the sonic goods using mostly decent industrial-quality components, I get really interested.

My system consists of:

Linkwitz Pluto speakers
    http://linkwitzlab.com/
    I bought major components for the speaker cabinets in the plumbing section of McGuckin Hardware They sound fabulous IMO.

AMB Alpha 10 preamp (hope to have it done later this year or early next)
    http://www.amb.org/audio/alpha10/

AMB Gamma 2 DAC
    http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

Also:
    Squeezebox Touch
    Technics SL1200 turntable (Replaces my Linn Sondek)

Back in the 1980s, I spent an awful lot of money on audio gear, but I seem to be turning into a more of a miser as I get older!

boyzo

Gorgeous speakers ... dipoles are a legend now that Linkwitz made people take notice.

Great shot beautiful setting

Enjoy, music is one of today's pleasures.....

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Thought there simply must be more with the audiophile illness

My setup is Burmester 956 mk2 + Burmester 011 + Burmester 001 + R909 + Jorma Origo.

Would be nice to see more MFDB audiophiles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Lovely,

I long lusted over a pair of Quads years ago after I heard them demo'ed a number of time with some fabulous vocal recordings. Their mid-tones not to be surrpassed and vowed one day to find a nice pair. I ended up with Magnipans, which in some ways satisfied my desire for the Quads...but not completely

Dave (D&A)
    I used to be a Martin Logan guy. But I came across a mint pair of fully rebuilt Quad 57 that I just couldn't resist. I heard a lot of speakers from Wilsons to Avantgarde. They all sound wonderful, but nothing reproduce the midrange vocals like the Quad 57. I'm just waiting on a pair a JL Phantom F112 and I think I have completed my dream audio system.

Like what the other said, I found most of these from Audiogon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d.clin.design View Post
    I used to be a Martin Logan guy. But I came across a mint pair of fully rebuilt Quad 57 that I just couldn't resist. I heard a lot of speakers from Wilsons to Avantgarde. They all sound wonderful, but nothing reproduce the midrange vocals like the Quad 57. I'm just waiting on a pair a JL Phantom F112 and I think I have completed my dream audio system.

Like what the other said, I found most of these from Audiogon.
    Thanks for the info! I also used Martin Logan. Tonally. they were better balanced than the Maggies but the Maggies (III) were more transparent in the upper octives due to their ribbon tweeter. Still nothing was sweeter in the midrange than those Quads and as you pointed out, vocals had to be heard to be believed. BY the way I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Shelby Lewis

Damn... this forum already has me spending enough on my camera gear

I've long been a "budget" audiophile, and am between systems right now... I just have a "user" system for the family (small children present) that is primarily marantz. Marantz SACD player and home theater receiver, and some mid-range (non-audiophile) mirage towers/sub for watching tv with.

With my return to grad school last year, my budget for audio equipment is gone (and we live in a tiny on-campus apartment), so I'm looking to bulk up a computer-driven head-fi system. Been demoing various software players (decibel, pure music, and amarra) with an eye towards running them out of my macbook pro through a usb DAC (probably HRT music streamer II+) and into a CI Audio VHP-2 Headphone amp into a set of Sennheiser 650's.

I like the detail retrieval of some of the Beyer cans as well... but have tinnitus from playing trumpet in pit orchestras for years... so I have to keep the highs in check to keep my ears from ringing worse than they already do. The Senns are just "gentle" enough on the high end to not exacerbate the ringing too much.

What fun!

That said... I'm also getting my vinyl collection out of storage... oh how nice it would sound through a pair of Quads.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this weekend end I get to diddle around with my Linn turntable...the motor needs a lube job, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Disclaimer: Red-wine induced reply.

I've been lusting for a McIntosh amp for a long time. Probably more nostalgia than hard tech. I'm at a point with my current user system where a next level will be measurably different/better. A little like the difference between a $10 bottle of red and a $25 bottle. I look forward to that next leap and will probably peak there. Unlikely I'll ever spring for the truly stratospheric gear.

Tim

p.s. Holy crap, what a beautiful piano!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I qualify as a "high end" audiophile, most of my gear is at least 10 (or more) years old. It all sounds good to me, so why needlessly upgrade?

There is my usual night sound setup as I am working on my 'puter:

Stax Lambda PRO, Stax SRM-1/MK-2 amp, MOTU Traveler DSP, FLAC/MP3 files. Keeps my neighbors asleep.

For daytime I have pair of Paradigm Atoms, Krell KAV-300i pre/amp, Traveler DSP and FLAC/MP3.

Happy listening!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    I've been lusting for a McIntosh amp for a long time.
    I haven't got a McIntosh amp, just a little FM radio:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what a radio should look like.
    Jim

Shelby Lewis

Yummmm....

Post Thanks / Like

that is one clean and mint piece of gear!! I wish I can keep mine that clean!!

Post Thanks / Like

The fall has reached southern Spain. Its raining and getting chilly at night. And dark.
    Its time to dust of the hifi and enjoy great sound at low volumes with a glass of wine, when the kids have gone to bed.

I'm there right now listening to Patricia Barber. Closing my eyes and I could pinpoint where every musician is placed. The soundstage is unbelievable and there is depth, detail, smoothness and clarity at the same time. This is relaxation for real.

I still have the Tidal Piano Cera speakers and couldn't be happier. They have so many qualities that I enjoy, that these have become the very foundation of my system and any change is circling around these speakers.

Moving to a much smaller home (3 years ago) meant that I had no choice but to keep my system to a minimum of both components and size. I made a pretty wild chance by buying a non-auditioned integrated with onboard (good) DAC, class-D amplifier. Yes, Class D! But it really was a matter of conveniance as well, nice design and all in a small box. All I needed to add was a tiny squeezebox and a hidden NAS with the music.
    The amp is a Gato Audio DIA 400. A complete dissapointment straight out of the box, but now that it is broken in, it is damn good. Fine, it does not rival my Burmester, but as always with this kind of level it is the last 5-7% we are talking about and those last % always come at a premium.
    I have had a BAT VK300SE, Krell 400xi, Electrocompaniet EC250 & 4.7, Lavardin, Bladelius 250 and this Class D actually beats all of these, in my mind. Only the Burmester is clearly better.

Anyway, looking forward to many music evenings this winter.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Class D is a really clever idea. Transistors make excellent fast switches and terrible linear amplifiers. Glad to hear yours sounds wonderful.

Twenty years ago as a bachelor, I had just purchased (used) Apogee Divas in faux orange marble (what can I say, they were almost free), with external crossover, two BAT VK500 amps, a VK5i tube preamp ... when I met my future wife. Difficult to come up with a less spouse friendly setup. The preamp is still with me 20 years later, but a humble Bryston with Audiophysic Virgos has replaced the monsters.

But ... I do most of my listening these days off youtube, where otherwise unpublished live recordings of pianists from the late 19th and early 20th century keep popping up, and the sound quality is terrible. The *music*, on the other hand, makes mdern performance look like joyless gymnastics.

Enjoy!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Obviously a huge crossover between photographers and audiophiles...my dad had a classic 60's setup, EICO ST-70 tube integrated, AR-2A's, he built the EICO and the Heathkit tuner himself. Later a Sansui G6700 Receiver that I still have.

Unfortunately the Sansui sounds pretty flat, age has not been kind. Currently I have a pair of Zu Soul Supreme's, driven by an Almarro SET 5W amp, Rega RP3/Dynavector 10x5 doing most of the heavy lifting through a Schiit phono preamp. CD's (rarely) and Tidal streaming through a Musical Hall transport/DAC.

Contemplating the Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC, the streaming is still not really where the Rega is, even with Tidal CD quality. Opinions?

Fell in love with "presence" a long time ago via another photographer audiophile friend who had a series of speakers, Carver Amazings, Gallo, etc but the Carver's had a real tactile feel, but they needed gobs of power. The Zu's do it all on a couple watts.

One definite area of crossover is that Audiophiles get pilloried for the price tag regularly, sounds an awfully like how Leica gets treated.....

Post Thanks / Like

I did not expect the development of the class D amp. I did read a couple of favourable reviews from credible reviewers, but we all know that if we look long enough we will find somebody that will praise any product so it sounds like it is the best buy out there.
    I wasn't prepared that class D has come this far! It sounds almost rediculous if I say it sounds tube-like, but it has texture and character that you would not associate with class D.

Matt, I have had an unforgettable evening with Apogee Divas and Dark side of the moon on vinyl.
    Robert, I would have like to listen/try that Almarro....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my amp is the Line Magnetic 518, tubes. turntable is tweaked Linn LP12 with dynavector cartridge, speakers are Devore Orangutans.

analog; keeps you warm in the winter

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmace127 View Post
    Beautiful setup!! I just sold my KRK VXT 8's due to the bad RF pickup and got myself some Dynaudio's. Not as high end as your setup perhaps but it works great in small spaces. Now looking to upgrade my audio interface (DAC) Thinking about the Apogee Duet 2

I use an Apogee Duet to drive a Balanced Headphone amp into my UE Columbia Reference in ear monitors.

Gave up the big stuff and now have a Spectral preamp to a Chord amp with ProAc Response bookshelf speakers ... streaming wirelessly through a
    smaller Headroom DAC to the Spectral... usually listen on the porch whilst watching the day slip into evening with a Cabernet or a pitcher of Pims #1.

Bob
    Last edited by docmoore; 21st October 2015 at 16:10.