The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Audiophiles around?

danlindberg

Thought there simply must be more with the audiophile illness :D

My setup is Burmester 956 mk2 + Burmester 011 + Burmester 001 + R909 + Jorma Origo.

Would be nice to see more MFDB audiophiles ;)

mathomas

I'm more of an ogler. I don't have the extra $$ to spend on the really high-end stuff (your setup is beautiful, BTW), and have had to compromise on a really nice HT setup that sounds pretty good on audio only, but it's certainly not high-end in any way (except arguably for the tweaked Jolida tube CD player that I never use).

Here's a write-up on my HT:

http://www.samoht.com/wiki/wiki.pl?My_Home_Theater

JMaher

Definitely an audiophile. Nothing to show right now as I just moved and I am still unpacking. However in a week or so there will be a small system with a Cary Audio CD500, an SLP-03 pre-amp and a Cinema 5 amplifier playing a custom made pair of speakers made by a friend of mine. I have had many hi-end combinations over the past 30 years. Your system looks spectacular and I am sure it sounds fantastic as well. I have ever never heard your speakers but Burmester makes very nice equipment and I have heard some of their systems at CES.

Jim

jlm

Workshop Member
still living off of my watt-puppy sevens, BAT VK-6200 five channel amp, Lexicon MC-12, Ayre 1Dx, Rel sub and Linn Sondek

danlindberg

Ah, great stuff guys :) Actually when I auditioned the R909 three years ago, the contender was Watt/Puppy 7 and I had a few sleepness nights before deciding.

So, in three years my setup has been unchanged and yesterday I had a long conversation with my dealer and I am changing speakers. Not that I am unhappy, but rather that I fell in love with the sophistication of Tidal Piano Cera. This is a remarkable speaker and I am quite certain that I will live with those for 10-15 years with great enjoyment. The soundstage is enormous and the speakers completely disappear in the room. They will not play AC/DC with the determination of the R909, but on the other hand, jazz and sing/song will be lifelike, grainless and utterly enjoyable.

I will also change cables for Transparent Reference. :D

danlindberg

Jorgen, :D I know, I know.....I have heard it many times too. Maybe I should say, "my ambition is to keep them for atleast 10 years..." :eek:

Anyone into the vintage equipment? I have some 1960's Macintosh, Fisher and Marantz tube pieces and corner horns from EV and Altec that I haven't used for years. Like to find a new home for most of it.

Udo

Using my self built Atlas speaker system since more than 7 years by now, I don't know whether I am qualified for being an audiophile. :rolleyes: These speakers are driven by a self designed PSE 211-tube-amplifier, which itself is driven by another self designed tube pre-amplifier. All stages are coupled by interstage transformers. Sources are a SACD-player and a Project turn table.

Regards,
Udo

jsf

Good equipment is good equipment even forty years later. I have dahlquist dq 10's, I used to power it with a dyna 70, but in the 80' s I switched to adcom and a hafler preamp. It is a sweet sound for acoustic or voice,which is what I listen to,the sound stage has a lot of dimensionality, but like most equipment of this type the room is far more limiting then the equipment.

danlindberg

Good equipment is good equipment also after many years, but part of the hobby is the experimentation of changing one or more factors in the setup once in a while.
I am so looking forward to my new speakers being manufactured right now! I have auditioned them and I was blown away with its transparency and coherence. Amazing stuff!
I will have to have patiance though, 1-2 months delivery :cry:

4season

That's a really nice setup you've got, Dan!

I have become more of an audio DIYer. I go online and look for projects designed by folks who seem to have serious engineering smarts combined with a love of music. If their designs rely on exotic parts, like $900 capacitors, I move on, but if they seem to deliver the sonic goods using mostly decent industrial-quality components, I get really interested.

My system consists of:

Linkwitz Pluto speakers
http://linkwitzlab.com/
I bought major components for the speaker cabinets in the plumbing section of McGuckin Hardware :D They sound fabulous IMO.

AMB Alpha 10 preamp (hope to have it done later this year or early next)
http://www.amb.org/audio/alpha10/

AMB Gamma 2 DAC
http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

Also:
Squeezebox Touch
Technics SL1200 turntable (Replaces my Linn Sondek)

Back in the 1980s, I spent an awful lot of money on audio gear, but I seem to be turning into a more of a miser as I get older!

cmace127

Beautiful setup!! I just sold my KRK VXT 8's due to the bad RF pickup and got myself some Dynaudio's. Not as high end as your setup perhaps but it works great in small spaces. Now looking to upgrade my audio interface (DAC) Thinking about the Apogee Duet 2 :)

4season: How's that AMB Gamma 2 working out for you?

Stuart Richardson

Another here, but more in the 35mm comparison range. I used to have a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 and Premier 16LS2, but sold them when I got more into photography. My first hifi amp was the Conrad Johnson CAV-50, and that still does the job for me. I use Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers, a Cary 306/200 cd player, and a Music Hall MMF-9 turntable. Headphones are my favorite for hifi though...I used to be a moderator at a big headphone website...the spiritual equivalent of this place. It used to be a few hundred members, but is now huge and corporate, so I don't spend much time there anymore. I have had tons of different headphones, but now it's down to (heh) some Grado HP2's, RS-1's, AKG-K1000's, Stax Omega 2's and the SR-507 Lambdas. My headphone amps have mostly been made for me by friends...the dynamic one is based on a Melos SHA-Gold, and the is a Kevin Gilmore Solid State amp. The nice thing about headphones is that even the most expensive tend to pale in comparison to Leica prices!!!

JMaher

Very nice system. The Conrad Johnson, Sonus Faber and Cary sound like a very musical combination.

Jim

Stuart Richardson

Hey Jim,
Sorry I missed your comment. Yes, the CJ and Sonus Faber work really well together! I think the Cary balances well, as it is not as lush as the other too, so it brings it back from being a bit too warm. Overall though, it is a really relaxed lovely sound, which is my general taste...

JMaher

Stuart,

I am out of town most of the week but when I get back I'll add a picture of my new setup. It's very much a relaxed sound with primarily Cary equipment. My speakers are made by a friend but have a sound not too different than yours.

Jim

JMaher

A picture of my system still in the process of being set-up. The center stack is for audio and the rest for video or maybe a music server.

Jim