The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advance notification: a lot of gear for sale

fotografz

A very courageous post, and a testimony to the folks here that resist leaping to the defense of their choices by aggressively questioning yours :thumbup:

I am going to save this to share with people who ask me about getting into MFD. It points to one very important aspect of selecting photographic tools ...

"Knowing gear, and knowing yourself, are two very different things".

While none of this is ever a pure black-or-white issue, there can be pretty vast differences in emphasis for different individuals.

Some photographers know their purpose going in, what they want to create ... and the gear is "how" they do it. It is a sort of creative pragmatism. A lot of professional photographers fall into this loosely define group. They have what they need, no more nor less ... (give or take ;))

For other photographers, the journey is the delight ... mastering a tool despite it's imperfections (they are all imperfect in some way or another). While photography gear is basically science in the service of art, it is the science that is of equal or greater interest to them. For them, the beautiful images they create are as much a testimony to their mastery of the tools and craft of photography as it is an artistic expression.

Every choice we make comes with penalties and rewards. As science has accelerated the potential rewards, far to many of us fail to consider the penalties that come with it ... and how they will effect our relationship to photography. For some it unlocks new challenges and new masteries. For others it disenfranchises them from what pleasure or intellectual/artistic expression they once drew from making images. Nowhere is that more evident than with MFD.

The next few years will be interesting. Science is on the move, and the deep desire for a "do it all" 35mm DSLR is a major topic all over the internet. However, in that rush to satisfy the itch, I wonder how many will take equal note of the penalties that are sure to come with it. From my observations of these type longings, very few are considering the trade-offs, or refuse to accept there will be any.

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
I think the large part of Tim's argument could have been, probably was, made debating between medium format film and dlsr film years ago, The benefits of digital have not bridged that yet

Dan Santoso

You should try Sony A900 and the new upcoming A77. It is the closest 35mm system in my opinion who has similar look to the MF quality in term of clarity and dimension. A77 has amazing focus I heard and you cant get wrong with the Carl Zeiss lens.

You can check www.dansantoso.com, mostly Sony from A100-A700-A900. Many has asked me what "digital back" I use? :)

Some P65+ for the new stuff.

cunim

Well said Marc. I wish Tim well and am looking forward to seeing how the portfolio evolves with his varying choices. Ashley agonistes.

David K

Workshop Member
For other photographers, the journey is the delight ... mastering a tool despite it's imperfections (they are all imperfect in some way or another). While photography gear is basically science in the service of art, it is the science that is of equal or greater interest to them.
-Marc
Very well expressed Marc...and a perfectly legitimate basis to make gear choices. Among others, bike riders often use the expression: "getting there is half the fun". For some photographers i suspect it's well more than half...and I used to be a card carrying member of that group not so long ago. Now...I just want to shoot as good images as I'm capable of with as little effort as possible and my current choice of gear reflects that. But I still take my hat off to those who have the passion and energy to embrace the latest and greatest and take the time to make it work.

N

nightfire

If there is one lesson to be learned here, it is to never, ever, go into detail about the reasons for selling ones own gear :eek:

That said, I do hope that Tim still has the nerve to proceed with his sale on this forum despite all the debate he has caused... because that DF body, and the 5dMk2, might be exactly what my doctor would order if I asked him to do so :rolleyes:

archivue

my story is the exact opposite... i used to have A 5DII and 6 lenses (tse...), till the day i've bought a MFDB and an RM3D, i've never shoot any single frame with a canon...
for my shooting style, i always use a tripod + i hate distortion + i hate 2x3 ratio + i hate canon colors...
but i miss the 5DII live view...

if i had the cash, i will buy an IQ160 on the spot without hesitation !

The only other camera i still shooting is... iphone using hipsmatic software... a kind of pocket polaroïd... so different, and always in my pocket !

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thank you everyone for your interest, your kind and thoughtful replies and your jokes and suggestions - what a polite and friendly bunch!

I am trying to work out prices for all this stuff but given the opacity even of new pricing, let alone used, that is much easier said than done. I will post them this week I hope!

Best
Tim

This forum has a level of maturity precisely equal to that which (many) others do not. Maybe because so many people here get together for workshops and face-to-face meetups, that conversations are more real, like having a chat over a beer.

Tim, best of luck in whatever direction you decide to take your journey. Nature and nurture all swing into action and the difference between something that works for you and something that doesn't is often very subtle. For example I tried and tried but cannot get used to a 35mm lens (on SF), but love a 28mm.

I'm 6 months into an expected 18 months to settle into a routine with MFD. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. It's hard to change your ways and also easy to get impatient with everything, especially when so many $$ are invested in it. I'd say don't rush into any decisions, if you spend some time, attend the workshops as noted above I think you can make a better informed decision, the money you've lost today will not be much less, if at all in 6 months from now, why not wait until spring!

Paul

vieri

Thank you everyone for your interest, your kind and thoughtful replies and your jokes and suggestions - what a polite and friendly bunch!

I am trying to work out prices for all this stuff but given the opacity even of new pricing, let alone used, that is much easier said than done. I will post them this week I hope!

Best
Tim
Looking forward to it :D Might be interested in that 110... :angel:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just to let everyone know that today I will be adding all these items to the FS/WTB page but please read the advert carefully! Especially the bit about which countries I will ship to....

Thanks again everyone

Tim

kdphotography

Just to let everyone know that today I will be adding all these items to the FS/WTB page but please read the advert carefully! Especially the bit about which countries I will ship to....

Thanks again everyone

Tim
Tim, I can't believe you only made an exception for Jack, and cut Guy out of the loop from making an international purchase of your gear.

Guy's wife must have called you....
:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would be all over him if he had another Cambo lens I did not already have. Lol

So I will forgive him this time. ROTFLMAO