The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24MP - where's the resolution?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono,
What this tells me is that the people at dpr aren't able to focus properly. The test photos for the A77 are apparently focused further back. Still, I don't understand the DxO rating, since the A77 and DH2 are very close within "normal" ISO values according to their own curves. I can't see that in any other way that they are putting equal emphasis on all ISO values, although most photography is done between 100 and 800.

jonoslack

Jono,
What this tells me is that the people at dpr aren't able to focus properly. The test photos for the A77 are apparently focused further back.
So it would seem - what's tragic about it is that many people will already have cancelled their orders based on these results (not so much here as at dPreview itself - I've had emails!). Incidentally - its the same at other ISO values as well - clearly they focus once and then snap away.

It's so easy to come to a conclusion based on these sort of results, and then build a house of cards of assumptions about pixel density, lines per mm etc. when the actual answer is very simple (incidentally, it was Silas who twigged this, not me).

It will cost Sony many sales, and in a years time people will still have a misconception about the results based on a focusing 'error'.

Still, I don't understand the DxO rating, since the A77 and DH2 are very close within "normal" ISO values according to their own curves. I can't see that in any other way that they are putting equal emphasis on all ISO values, although most photography is done between 100 and 800.
Well, I never was very convinced by the relevance of DxO in the real world. As for me? I'm conditionally impressed with the IQ from the A77 - but I won't really be able to make up my mind until Aperture support the RAW conversions.

Re: 24MP - where's the resolution?

Well, it would seem to be at the back of the image where it's in focus :ROTFL:

all the best

Terry

What surprises me is that there test scene doesn't seem so deep that f9 wouldn't keep more stuff seemingly sharp. I wonder how close they get to that scene to take the shot. This isn't the first time the "point of focus" has come up with that scene especially with full frame cameras. I'm thinking that similar to the IQ180 once you start getting into very high pixel densities, your focus point (when pixel peeping) gets more and more important.

jonoslack

What surprises me is that there test scene doesn't seem so deep that f9 wouldn't keep more stuff seemingly sharp. I wonder how close they get to that scene to take the shot. This isn't the first time the "point of focus" has come up with that scene especially with full frame cameras. I'm thinking that similar to the IQ180 once you start getting into very high pixel densities, your focus point (when pixel peeping) gets more and more important.
Well, you might be right, the D3s seems to suffer quite a lot as well though. Of course, there could be some lens curvature issues here as well.

I think it just repeatedly proves to me that pixel peeping at 100% is likely to be misleading.
Also how very very difficult it is to make a valid comparison of images taken at different times.

jonoslack

So does this mean that I have to buy a NEX 7 as well then? :eek:
Yes - it's compulsory - as a penance :ROTFL:
Personally I can't see how anyone could resist it - I certainly can't.

Now everyone is saying the RAW files on the A77 are horrible - and there's talk of a firmware upgrade tomorrow!

However, I must say, we're having a lot of fun with the A77 - but like most new cameras it would seem that it's still a bit of a work in progress (not that we've come across any problems).

I've just got hold of DNG converter, so I'll put some of the RAW files through Aperture later on today.

all the best

waynelake

If you ever saw the pictures with a Canon camera, a EOS 50mm lens, then with the Zeiss 50 1.7..... Well, thats most likely where its at.....