The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Most Expensive Photograph In the World!

fotografz

Hmmm, not my cup of tea to be sure, so I can put away my check book :ROTFL:

The "Art World" is a whole other dimension that is for darned sure. Nice to see a photograph held in such high financial regard though.

The land of the rich seems impervious to the sinking global economy, even the Bresson prices were a bit shocking.

I have a little collection of vintage B&W prints that I bought when I was young ... In some cases I drove a beater car and ate franks and beans to afford them even then:

A large signed Bresson image of Henri Matisse in his sunlit studio with doves, a very early 11' X 14" of "Satirical Dancer" signed by Andre Kertesz, a photo of "Picasso and the loaves" by Robert Doisneau, a large signed abstract portrait of a woman's face and arm by Bill Brant, and a signed photo of Stravinsky at a grand piano by the Arnold Newman (whom I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with a couple of times).

Maybe I am better off than I thought I was :)

But the joy has been in the viewing them for over 30 years now ... the monetary value is of far less importance ... except now I had better check the insurance values I have on them.

BTW, these immortals hang in my home next to many far lesser known photographic artists that I have supported over these many years ... just as much joy from them also.

-Marc

D&A

Dave (d.clin.design.)...thanks for the link to auction of Bresson's work. What I find interesting is as expensive as the prices are of Bresson's work are, they pale in comparison to that of the last three or four (or more) of the highest priced ever paid for photographs as illustrated in the link I provided (above). When I look at those multi million dollar images and compare them to those of Bresson or any number of other well known and admired photographers works, I am at a loss to see how they reached anywhere near the prices they sold for. Yes, I know art is in the eye of the beholder but strictly on the merits of universal acclaim and impact they have made on the photographic community as a whole, I believe these two categories of images are leagues apart. Maybe I'm missing something.

Marc, thanks for sharing and providing some insight to some of your photographic collection...both interesting and informative. First and foremost they are works that strike a chord within you (and of course have done so with so with many others) and that's the primary reason why one should gravitate to own certain works of art or photographic images....as opposed to simply boasting they own a small masterpiece. I often delight in stumbling upon or being exposed (no pun intended) to images from lesser known photographers whose personal photographic vision resonates with me and from which I often gleam ideas from. That in itself has those images providing intrinsic value (for me) far beyond for what they might sell for monetarily. Yes the art world is quite often strange indeed.

Dave (D&A)