The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to not get ripped off on Ebay

schuster

I'm thinking of selling a $$$ lens or two on Ebay. I read that there are safeguards against bogus and non-payments, but how do I protect myself from someone who buys one of my pristine lenses and unpacks it while texting, eating and watching TV... drops it on the floor and sends it back to me claiming it wasn't in the condition advertised?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I sell a bunch of expensive gear on ebay, and I don't accept returns, either (from ebay; I do here and on Fred's site). I think it's because I take decent images that show the real appearance. I accept Paypal and the major credit cards, and bank deposits. I don't send until I get the money, and I always use registered and insured post (local) or US PS (again, registered and insured).

As well, in any ebay ad, I mention these two sites (getDPI and Fred's) because I have decent feedback in both places and posts, too, so people can get a sense of who/what you are. This means that the "no returns" aspect is not seen as a negative, or a scam.

So far, no problems—but you never know.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I generally agrre with Kit, especially re having a good set of photos, but I have not imposed a no return policy as I think that impedes your ability to sell. I have not been burned on this. Perhaps I am lucky. I also insist on getting paid first. And finally, I also prefer to sell (and buy) here, even if there is some difference in price as seller to or buying from a "regular" here provides a form of insurance.

stephengilbert

Having recently had a bad experience on eBay, I doubt I'd ever sell anything there again.

I sold a camera, and the winning bidder wrote to say he'd changed his mind; he didn't want the camera. I tried second chance offers to two lower bidders who'd been aced out by the last second bid of the winner, but neither made an offer. Only during this process did I discover that eBay no longer allows negative feedback from a seller. Both of the bidders I communicated with engaged in practices that violate eBay rules; both had 100% positive feedback. Yet it took eight days to resolve the dispute.

I sold the camera here for less money, but I got paid.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Buyers here will also change their minds. I have had several say "I'll take it" only to change their minds. But on the whole buyers and sellers here are more trustworthy than eBay.

schuster

Thank you, Kit, Weinschela and StephenGilbert, for your replies. I will consider it all, or just wind up selling it to Adorama or B&H.

Don Libby

I'll normally attempt to sell here or if I don't feel like screwing around with PP costs and shipping I'll sell directly to KEH - they pick up the shipping and generally when it come down to it are just about the same in the end when you factor in the cost of shipping and insurance as well as paym't fees. Much easier all the way around. Of course I'm speaking of camera gears...