The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My New Blog!

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

Just wanted to invite you all over to my new blog which I've started with my good friend and partner in crime (we shoot weddings together!) Allan Hyman.

http://thedustylenscap.com

The idea is to showcase and talk about photography coming out of Israel. In general photography is done here on a shoe string relative to Europe or the US due to high taxes and high costings of equipment so it's interesting to show what is being done.

The concept of the blog is to centre more on the artistic side of things but there will be a few techy articles as well. We've started well with a couple of great guest entries, I'm hoping to have a fashion photographer working out of Tel Aviv writing and an article by Yair Shahar, the European Leaf representative hopefully coming soon!

Have a look, hit like on the facebook page and thanks!

Ben

BANKER1

Hi,

Just wanted to invite you all over to my new blog which I've started with my good friend and partner in crime (we shoot weddings together!) Allan Hyman.

http://thedustylenscap.com

The idea is to showcase and talk about photography coming out of Israel. In general photography is done here on a shoe string relative to Europe or the US due to high taxes and high costings of equipment so it's interesting to show what is being done.

The concept of the blog is to centre more on the artistic side of things but there will be a few techy articles as well. We've started well with a couple of great guest entries, I'm hoping to have a fashion photographer working out of Tel Aviv writing and an article by Yair Shahar, the European Leaf representative hopefully coming soon!

Have a look, hit like on the facebook page and thanks!

Ben
Ben,

Your format, the work, the articles; beautiful.

Greg

D&A

Ben,

Throughly enjoying the articles and much of the philosophical thoughts behind the images. Will look forward to following the Blog. Nice work!

Dave (D&A)

Ben Rubinstein

Thanks guys! Woooooow, exhausted after shooting a wedding yesterday but I really need to get some posts onto the blog this week!

bensonga

Hi Ben. I have really enjoyed following your blog for the past month. Last week I received the copy of Judah Passow’s book "Shattered Dreams", which I had ordered from Amazon, after reading your blog post "Tough Neighborhood". There are so many exceptional photographs in this book which, taken together with the introductions by Etgar Keret and Samir El-Youssef, convey so much more than the news reports of the conflict in Israel which we see or read here in the United States. The reproduction quality of the photos in this book is also outstanding. I just wanted to thank you for sharing this with all of us here on GetDPI.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Ben Rubinstein

Thanks Gary!

I shot a wedding with Judah Passow a while back, he had asked permission to shoot a wedding I was doing as part of a project he was shooting and the families agreed. He had one of the first M9's in existence which had been hand delivered to him by Leica. I remember shooting the outdoor ceremony, after sunset and in the falling snow (don't ask!), during the chupa I moved out of the way to allow him the chance to shoot but he shook his head and told me he just didn't have the light to do it he just didn't have useable iso to spare. I carried on shooting with my 5Dc's at iso 1600 without dropping a frame. Have to say I've enjoyed that memory when people buy the newest, most expensive and best while my old and battered 5Dc's have kept on shooting straight for the past 7 years and show no sign of flagging! Just had the the focus recalibrated on one of my 5D's, the shutter replaced on the other and they keep on amazing me.

Actually think I'll do a blog post on the subject, especially since the advent of the D800.

fotografz

Thanks Gary!

I shot a wedding with Judah Passow a while back, he had asked permission to shoot a wedding I was doing as part of a project he was shooting and the families agreed. He had one of the first M9's in existence which had been hand delivered to him by Leica. I remember shooting the outdoor ceremony, after sunset and in the falling snow (don't ask!), during the chupa I moved out of the way to allow him the chance to shoot but he shook his head and told me he just didn't have the light to do it he just didn't have useable iso to spare. I carried on shooting with my 5Dc's at iso 1600 without dropping a frame. Have to say I've enjoyed that memory when people buy the newest, most expensive and best while my old and battered 5Dc's have kept on shooting straight for the past 7 years and show no sign of flagging! Just had the the focus recalibrated on one of my 5D's, the shutter replaced on the other and they keep on amazing me.

Actually think I'll do a blog post on the subject, especially since the advent of the D800.
Then there was the time I was shooting with my M9 @ ISO 1600 at f/0.95 and my second shooter's 5D couldn't even find focus ... later that month the mirror fell out of her 5D :eek: and I had to load her my spare Sony A900 :D

Antidotal stories are just that Ben ... antidotal evidence either way.

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Then there was the time I was shooting with my M9 @ ISO 1600 at f/0.95 and my second shooter's 5D couldn't even find focus ... later that month the mirror fell out of her 5D :eek: and I had to load her my spare Sony A900 :D

-Marc
Mine's bigger than yours.... :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

bensonga

The photographs in "Shattered Dreams" speak for themselves.

They are so good....I never even stopped to wonder "What camera did he use?".

Perhaps that's the mark of a really good photograph....the image presents itself so directly to the viewer, that even a gear head like me is absorbed in the image, not thoughts of what camera or lens was used.

When you see Judah next, please tell him how much I have appreciated his work.

Gary

Ben Rubinstein

-Marc
Marc, you f***ing jinxed me! Over 150,000 frames on one of my 5D's without a problem, starting the family pics at the wedding today when the bleeding mirror fell out. I switched over to backup within about 45 seconds but that just means I'm professional, was in a foul mood for the rest of the wedding. That and the front section of my 16-35L is wobbling (I'm flying to the UK for a wedding on Monday, have to get them both fixed by then!) and my partner dropped his 5D and totalled his 50mm lens. Wasn't a very lucky wedding :banghead::banghead::banghead: