The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

getting into the groove again

Godfrey

Last evening I scanned another roll of film I put through the M4-2.

Film and digital are two entirely different recording mediums. A 100% manual camera with no in-camera meter is different in use than any camera with a built in meter, and any camera that has auto-exposure. Never mind auto-focus.

Scanning this roll was easy ... my exposures are back on point, I didn't need to change the scanner settings off the defaults I set up even once. Focus is back on point. Because of that, scanning 36 exposures took only an hour and forty-five minutes. That's not bad, about as fast as the Coolscan V can go with strips of four.

But what's exciting is that I'm beginning to see in this medium again. The tools are bone simple, the medium is heavily constrained*and has little latitude: it's all about the image.

That's where I want to be. :)

I'll do whatever it takes to bring my digital capture work into the same space.

Godfrey,

This sounds very therapeutic. I am on a different path for now, working hard with Lumix, ignoring so much other lovely equipment. But, that will make it just that much sweeter when I do return to it.

Thanks for sharing your direction.

Reed
DMC-365.blogspot.com