The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images to share

ustein

Contributing Editor
Too bad that you get more attention to images if your post them in the forums for popular cameras. Not so good is e.g. using Canon cameras while NEX-& would be great.

What can be done to talk more about just the images independently from gear. Just not much fun to post images and hardly anybody cares.

Just want to get your thoughts.

raywest

Hi Uwe,

I think if you give some information about the image, perhaps some of: why you made it, how you made it, problems you had in doing so, what you were trying to get to, and if you think you got there, then a dialogue may ensue. Other than that it is just like looking at pictures.

Personally I've never understood the 'images to share' thing, it sort of relates to 'showing off', in my mind.

Best wishes,

Ray

ustein

Contributing Editor
>it sort of relates to 'showing off', in my mind.

What is wrong with that. Happens in galleries all the time.

ReeRay

I post images with the half hope someone will admire my efforts and thus encourage me in my endeavors. Failure to comment does not discourage me as I assume my image failed and I must try harder.

For me I really appreciate the contributors images as I find these posts a great source of inspiration and indeed insight to other countries and events.

I hope they keep coming and I've just made a mental note to comment in future!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Failure to comment does not discourage me as I assume my image failed and I must try harder.

That is not my point. These threads get less attention. Post the same image in the Canon or in the Sony forum and the attention will be very different I think.

ReeRay

Yes. I guess that would indicate that folks are more interested in what the equipment produces as opposed to what the contributor produces.

Personally I'm not interested in what camera was used, only the outcome.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>that folks are more interested in what the equipment produces as opposed to what the contributor produces.

Yes, but there is so much great work presented here.

ReeRay

I think it's historical and ingrained to relate more to equipment than content. I remember the old days in the UK when mags such as Practical Photography would not accept images unless they included camera, lens, exposure, film and development. The content seemed almost incidental!

I agree there really are some wonderful images to share.

V

Vivek

I do not see the point of this thread while there is a section, "Images to share" just one below the "Sunset bar". :confused:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I do not see the point of this thread while there is a section, "Images to share" just one below the "Sunset bar". :confused:
I tend to agree folks and if you look closely at that forum section it says this

Images to Share!
Sharing and discussion of images and associated photographic techniques, styles or genres.

So lets use it. :angel:

stephengilbert

I hate to disagree with Mr. Mancuso, but I will anyway. I think the difference between photos posted on camera threads, and those not done so is that the brand threads are often inhabited by fans. Post a snapshot taken with a Leica S2 and the responses are different than if you just post it without saying where it came from. I think this is different than people just wanting to know what gear produced an image.

Godfrey

Too bad that you get more attention to images if your post them in the forums for popular cameras. Not so good is e.g. using Canon cameras while NEX-& would be great.

What can be done to talk more about just the images independently from gear. Just not much fun to post images and hardly anybody cares.

Just want to get your thoughts.
I find it sad that even here, on one of the most vibrant communities of photographers on the net, it is so difficult to have a place where one can simply post a photo for others to enjoy or comment upon without controversy.

To me, the Sunset Bar and Images To Share forums should be at the TOP of the forum list, not tucked all the way down at the bottom, and should have the MOST posts and views. Because our conversations and our photographs should be the important part of the forum, not what friggin' equipment we choose to play with.

Perhaps doing just that ... putting these two forums at the top of the list rather than at the bottom ... would inspire folks to use them more than getting into heated debates about "this vs that" so much. Post your photos in these two forums WITHOUT a full technical brief ... talk about what your intent in making them is or say nothing at all ..

I'd love to see more attention paid to the photography, to the ideas behind making photographs, to the story telling and expression, and let the equipment become a secondary discussion which supports it rather than the reverse.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>that is the way things go and isn't unique to this site.

This was just an attempt to get ideas how to change this a tiny bit :)

Guy Mancuso

I do like for example posting images and what your thoughts behind them maybe but I also think its good to post what you used to get there but more as a learning tool and not my gear is so damn good kind of thing. For example if I said I shot this with a 85 mm lens at 2.8 on a 35mm FF than it may help someone see what that type of lens may do for them. More a show me post than my Sony is the best out there. Guess I like hearing the technical stuff without the baggage of brand loyalty. Than again I also like posts of just the image for its content only as well. For me as co-owner a balance is good. But I do agree with Godfrey the image to share thread should be packed with images in it and be a much more visited forum.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Guess I like hearing the technical stuff without the baggage of brand loyalty.

That is the point for me too. Great idea to talk about the technique without the brands.

>Than again I also like posts of just the image for its content only as well. For me as co-owner a balance is good. But I do agree with Godfrey the image to share thread should be packed with images in it and be a much more visited forum.

We are on the same page here.

Godfrey

... I also think its good to post what you used to get there but more as a learning tool and not my gear is so damn good kind of thing. For example if I said I shot this with a 85 mm lens at 2.8 on a 35mm FF than it may help someone see what that type of lens may do for them. ... Guess I like hearing the technical stuff without the baggage of brand loyalty. Than again I also like posts of just the image for its content only as well. ...
As I said, it just saddens me that there is always controversy about the simple thing which is posting photos to share, discuss and enjoy.

The problem I find ... If I post technical information right along with the photo, 99% of the time that has already driven the mind of photographers to discuss the technical issues RATHER than look at and discuss the photo. A non-photographer doesn't even see that information, it is not relevant to their interest.

And that isn't the point of my posting photographs: while it's great to learn from what others use to obtain their photos, I already have my gear and have no desire to buy more gear because some other piece of gear was used to make the photo. What I'm informed by is stuff like:

- What was the photographer trying to achieve?
- What was the situation that the scene demanded resolution to?
- How did the photographer approach the problems, and solve them?
- When rendering the photo, how was that approached and completed?
- How was the finished work presented, if it was?

I (and I would gather most of the community here) already know what an 85mm lens on full frame format does, imaging wise.

The technical information can always be appended in the thread of discussion following inquiry, if the photograph warrants it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I started the SeePhoto mailing list a decade and some ago with precisely this brand- and equipment-agnostic viewpoint in mind, after becoming bored to tears with the unending revelation of minutiae on the Leica lists. To me, the Photographs are what's important ... technical details are always just supporting information.

G

Guy Mancuso

I dont necessarily disagree with you but you like some here have the experience to know what certain gear will do . Others on the other hand do not and are new to photography or new to a format change or whatever. We always need to think in terms of those folks as well that are new to this and honestly we may as other forums have more folks new to photography than old hands at it. To me it is always a balance point and as a co owner i know Jack and I think on these same lines is to always strive for balance here or at least drive towards that. Now having said that as a experienced Pro on a personal level I'm right there with you , I could really care less on the tech side as I most likely have the T shirt been there done that, so i do understand your point as well.

But let me add here this is all your forum to drive as well so please folks lead by example we are just a place for you to share and learn. It is our members that drive this, so please lead by example if you will. A lot do and we appreciate the great input by many but to grow we would love even more participation from our members too. We have well over 11k in members and most of them don't post at all or very rare. It is up to us that do to help draw them in and participate so we can all share. You all need to understand how important each member really is here. We seriously do mean it when we say thanks for being here, it's not just a pat on the back but you are the life blood here.