The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Computer testing

Don Libby

Sitting here and wanted to test the resources of my computer. Opened C1 Pro and Bridge as well as CS5 at the same time. I did a LCC analysis before applying it to 3-images I took last year in Jackson. The next step was processing the images saving them to a Bridge folder. Opened Bridge and using the most resource hog there is merged the 3-images to HDR Efex Pro. The images went through the HDR process and was opened in CS5. I then took the image, duplicated it and opened the duplicated image into Viveza 2 to work on some of the colors. The original file was 10778x8074 @360 with the final result seen here at 12960x8640 @360.

I've got a dual quad core computer and reading the resource manager I was hitting 100% of the cores all during the HDR process and between 60% down the rest of the time to just about idle right now at 0-1%. I've also got 53GB RAM with CS5 showing 48517 available and I've allocated 41239 (85%). Task Manager showed a peak of 15.2 GB while in HDR and currently while I write this with all the same programs opened and 1% CPU usage it's showing a steady 16.2 GB (for several minutes now).

Reason I did this is that I'm in the process of replacing the computer within the next month and will be going from a dual quad to a dual 6-core and wanted to see the resources used in doing a typical image.

I just find this interesting....

Cambo WRS1000, Schneider 72mm, P65+

Don

Lars

Are you trying to solve a software performance problem by throwing more hardware at it?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a computer too. It's made from some kind of metal and it fits in most of my camera bags. Good, don't you think?

I used to be a nerd too btw. I remember when we expanded the RAM of the 370/155 from 512KB to 1 MB. After a 50% price reduction, the price was still written with 7 digits in most currencies. We needed an extra cooling unit the size of a small house as well.

Don Libby

Most watches have more computing power than what we had 20 years ago!

I also remember seeing a computer that look as large as a small house...

Lars

Don,

Happy birthday.

My question was serious though - do you feel that you need such high end hardware because the processing task requires it, or because the software you use is slower than it could be?

-Lars

Don Libby

Hi Lars and thanks for the birthday wishes.

My current computer is at the end of its cycle (6-years old) and will be replaced within the next month. While I've not had any problems with the computer I also don't need to take the chance that it might fail on me and result in being down for several days or weeks. Also no problems with the 2-main software programs I use for processing, C1 Pro and CS5; both are 64bit and take full advantage of multiple cores.

The issue is what do I replace the dual quad with and seeing as I'm a total gear slut :D it has to be better; larger than what I currently have. Thus the dual 6-core.

Most of my image files exceed 3-GB and that does take some power so my feeling is that the 12 cores will be better than 8. On the question of RAM, my original idea of 80 is just plain overkill and I know it. I've been very happy with what I've been using on the old computer (53 GB) and that's what I'll install in the replacement.

I often find that I have C1 Pro, Bridge, and CS5 open at the same time. I also add internet and word processing if I'm multitasking so I need all the power and memory I can get.

Don

weinschela

Subscriber Member
You cannot have too much RAM, you cannot have a processor too fast, and you cannot have too much storage space. Remember those three rules and you will never go wrong. You may go broke, but not wrong.