Site Sponsors

Thread: I wish that no one bought new equipment

Post Thanks / Like

I wish that no one bought new equipment

just to resell here for a profit. I know it has been addressed but some of us work for a living and need to be able to get equipment asap. If I knew that these guys doing this were unemployed I might feel better but the leica bit and now sony nex 7 but well this is just plain wrong.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I wish that no one bought new equipment

I think those willing to pay those prices certainly deserve it!

Post Thanks / Like

We should not be profiting off of each other. A few years ago I just missed a 200 f1.8 canon L for 2200 a bit later a respected fellow in the online world who got it just a head of me resold it for 1500 bucks of profit . I needed it he just made a few extra bucks. The leica market has been driven to insane numbers. It hurts working pros so badly check out the new camera prices and lenses do you not think the camera makers see this and the new canon and nikon prices reflect this? In other words we are shooting ourselves in the butt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Law of Supply and Demand.

There is a segment of people who will pay almost anything just to have it early, or in the case of Leica, have it at all.

I think rising prices on Canon and Nikon gear is the result of ever increasing consumer demands for more and better, faster and faster. Increase the meg count exponentially, and then sell those users the next generation of lenses that are capable of realizing that resolution. $2,200 for the new Canon 24-70/2.8, and they didn't even include IS? Bet they sell every one they can make.

Personally, I don't buy anything with the idea of flipping it. I'm a photographer, not a dealer. However, I will ask market rate when I do sell if I can. I don't care if someone else might need it, my family's needs come first, and I won't lose money to help someone else I don't even know.

-Marc