The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ceterum censeo... : Large CMOS

Stefan Steib

I am not Cato the Elder, but again when reading all the market data it´s overdue - I ask when will finally a large CMOS chip come to rescue the MF industry ? Why again this bothering and boring statement - because I care !
I want to use professional cameras with movements in 5 and 10 years and longer, I want dedicated professional lenses that resolve in special ways for creative photographers and I want this industry to wake up and do something.
If you don´t believe me read here:

Image Sensors World: More Market Data from iSuppli

the more the market share will shrink (CCDs less than 1% market share in 2014 from todays 12% for highend cameras) the less resources will be available for a switch. Even producing todays CCD´s will become more and more expensive and will come to an end anyway. If the switch does not happen now it will become more and more difficult.Time is running !

I Have posted this here, as I know the MF forum will probably deny it as they always do. But please think about it. It´s the only way !

Greetings from Lindenberg
Stefan

Last edited:

stephengilbert

"I Have posted this here, as I know the MF forum will probably deny it as they always do."

Good idea, Stefan. Those stupid MF people don't know the real truth. Posting here will allow your great ideas to be discussed in an intelligent and respectful manner.

Stefan Steib

Here is a link to the abstract (PDF) of the

BSI Success Drives the CMOS Image Sensor Segment
Consumer Platforms Q1 2012 Topical Report - Image Sensor Technology Trends
Pamela Tufegdzic

Welcome to the IHS iSuppli Q4 2011 Image Sensor Topical Report. This report focuses on area image sensors which, unless otherwise noted, refer to the CCD and CMOS area image sensors that are used for visible light applications. The accompanying database contains the full data set shown in this report...

BSI Success Drives the CMOS Image Sensor Segment - The Home & Consumer Electronics portal at iSuppli® provides the latest news and events within the broadband industry. Our expert analysis keeps you updated with the most recent news in the broadband

regards
Stefan

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
"I Have posted this here, as I know the MF forum will probably deny it as they always do."

Good idea, Stefan. Those stupid MF people don't know the real truth. Posting here will allow your great ideas to be discussed in an intelligent and respectful manner.
So far you have a mutual admiration club of two minus all of the stupid people. Keep up all of the good work. Weren't there characters named Stefan and Stephen in one of the episodes of the X-files? ;)

Stefan Steib

Kurt

I can assure you I am NOT an alien and I do not personally know Moulder nor Scully.... :)

I am just deeply concerned about this situation as this will take direct impact on my own business with the HCam - I want Phase/Leaf and Hasselblad to be healthy companies that will exist for a long time - simply because I rely on them !

And what irritates me mostly is that theother companies who are in the same situation do not go the same approach ! What will happen with Arca, Alpa, Cambo , Rodenstock, Schneider and all the others when MF would implode ? The launch of the recent announced Nikon D800 and the future Canon and Sony alternatives will not help either !

is there nobody else who has concerns about this ? The situation is serious and it does not help ignoring it ! Shoot the messenger has never worked !

greetings from Lindenberg

Stefan

V

Vivek

When the first CMOS sensored MF camera (even it is an SLR) with live view comes along, I will be busy shooting with it and won't be involved in the compare and contrast threads vs CCD sensor cameras. :)

Stefan Steib

Thanks Vivek- this is exactly the statement that I would also give. For a working pro the tool must function and give as much usabilty help as possible. On location there is no time for Laserpointers or scientific complicated procedures how to focus. This needs to work fast and reliable. If technology gets into the way of me doing my job it´s not OK. I need all my energy and concentration to make the best images possible, I don´t want to think about gear !

Greetings from the middle of a snow blizzard here in the Allgäu
Stefan