Site Sponsors

Thread: Future direction of the Mac OS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Future direction of the Mac OS

I'm sure many of the power Mac users here are already aware of all this, but for casual Mac users (like myself), it's an interesting read. Any thoughts and comments?

Apple's Mountain Lion Makes the Mac More Like the iPad - NYTimes.com

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Future direction of the Mac OS

I was struck by the commenter who asked why Apple couldn't make a Pro version of its OS. I don't want easier Twitter and Facebook connections, and certainly don't want things appearing on my Desktop that I can't remove ala some of the iPhone apps that I have buried on the last screen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, Apple has to attend to the lion's share (no pun intended) of its customer base - Joe User. This trend exemplifies their recognition of the "halo effect" iDevices are doing for the Mac - in other words, they are going to capitalize on iPhone, iPods, & iPads acting as a "gateway drug" to Mac computers.

Many of us here don't get it because we're the other way around - using Macs way before iDevices. We see them as a logical complement to the systems we already own. Sadly, we are now the minority.

Apple's UI design has always provided multiple paths to accomplishing the same goal. I told a buddy of mine that the reason Apple names their OS's after cats is because there is more than one way to skin them. This philosophy has not changed with Mountain Lion. Sure the first glance method is geared towards those who got here via iDevices, but the other methods still exist. Hell, you can do pretty much anything you want from Terminal if you have a command line bent. It's always faster to issue a chmod command on a whole subdirectory of files that go through the UI to alter security on said files. You can't get more pro than that. I know, I've been doing IT for 27 years.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the title of the article is misleading. If anything Mountain Lion shows that Apple is still quite committed to OS X and that they aren't going to try and merge the two. It brings parity between the two OSes. We are seeing more consistent names of the apps, features getting added in both. Improved syncing between the two OSes is really exciting and important. So far we've had to depend on Dropbox to get things on and off iPads and iPhones easily and now it looks like we may see something even better.

Overall I'm really excited to see the direction Apple is going with Mountain Lion.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a MAC user since the 80s I haven't always loved what new OS versions put me through. In the past few years though, all the evolutions have been painless (for the most part) and it now feels rock stable and does everything I want it to do.

With each iteration, new features are added that I essentially ignore. It doesn't bother me that they're there and I assume someone must be using them.

Until personal computing changes in some revolutionary way, I want my OS to make the most efficient use of my hardware and otherwise stay out of my way. Maybe I've become numb to the OS development hype in my old age. I'll continue to upgrade but think of it as maintenance rather than an exciting new adventure.

Best,
    Tim