Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Hi there
    My job is to find a good starter camera - She's good at art, her mum is a fantastic painter, and after some time talking she wants a dSLR and to use prime lenses. As it's a starter, I don't want to spend too much money.
    I've got some ideas, but it's not terribly simple. Obviously it would be good to get something with plentiful decent prime lenses for her to afford herself later.

    So - over to you!

    Just this guy you know

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Does it really need to be a dslr and not a mirrorless with an EVF?

    Expensive but body OMD but reasonably priced primes you have a lot of choice now with fisheye,12,17, 20, 25, 45, and 75 coming. Keeps things small but excellent for manual focus if that is part of what she will want.

    The lower end APS-c dslr's aren't great for manual focus without bright viewfinders. I'm not sure why I'm equating primes with manual focus. The next step would be to look at perhaps the second level up cameras from Nikon and Canon - D5100 and I'm not sure what they call the Canon model numbers on your side of the pond. If she will need to buy lenses herself there is also a robust used market.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Does it really need to be a dslr and not a mirrorless with an EVF?

    Expensive but body OMD but reasonably priced primes you have a lot of choice now with fisheye,12,17, 20, 25, 45, and 75 coming. Keeps things small but excellent for manual focus if that is part of what she will want.

    The lower end APS-c dslr's aren't great for manual focus without bright viewfinders. I'm not sure why I'm equating primes with manual focus. The next step would be to look at perhaps the second level up cameras from Nikon and Canon - D5100 and I'm not sure what they call the Canon model numbers on your side of the pond. If she will need to buy lenses herself there is also a robust used market.
    HI Terry
    I'm not sure that she will want to manual focus. She does want an SLR though - I think it's at least partly the image but if it's what she wants - added to which most of the 4/3 primes would be way outside her price bracket.

    I had thought of the 5100 - does that take older Nikon lenses - presumably D lenses are okay?

    Just this guy you know

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    I thought about the price range of m4/3 lenses and comparatively (at least in the US) only a few are expensive (12, 45 macro, 25) plus other manufacturers like Sigma are getting into the game. The others seem to be around $300 or less (14, 17, 20, 45)

    I think the Nikon lenses are about the same price with the 35 f1.8 being on the cheap side at just under $200.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Jono,

    m4/3rds cam with an EVF (G1, G2, G3..) plus 14/2.5 (pretty cheap in the EU at the moment), 20/1.7 and possibly 45/1.8.

    Nikon APS-C lenses are far and few. The widest is a fisheye and the only normal (also the widest non fisheye Nikkor for APS-C) is the 35/1.8. There is this Sigma 30/1.4 (huge but decent).

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Jono,

    m4/3rds cam with an EVF (G1, G2, G3..) plus 14/2.5 (pretty cheap in the EU at the moment), 20/1.7 and possibly 45/1.8.

    Nikon APS-C lenses are far and few. The widest is a fisheye and the only normal (also the widest non fisheye Nikkor for APS-C) is the 35/1.8. There is this Sigma 30/1.4 (huge but decent).
    I understand where you're coming from Vivek, but she doesn't want an EVF - she wants a 'real' camera!

    Just this guy you know

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    I don't think it matters that much, Jono. Help her pick out a camera like you would -- user interface that doesn't get in your way, nice viewfinder and available lenses -- if there is canon glass in the family, get one. The older Canon consumer cameras (D40) are still nice to use. Pair with a 50/1.8 and an 18-55 zoom and see where she wants to go from there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    I think the entry level Canon DSLRs are very good. The Rebel T3 / 1100D is very affordable, and the first generation Canon EF primes (24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8) are very affordable and good.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    +1 for a Canon 40D (10mp).....it's still one of my favorite DSLRs and you can find ones in EX+ or LN- condition at KEH for $500-$600. No video....it's just a very good DSLR. Combine that with a 35mm f2 or a 50mm f1.8 and it would be an excellent combo. I still use this camera myself with excellent results. Even the 20D is a very good camera for about $200-$300.

    Or get a new T3i for a few hundred dollars more.

    40D
    Canon Digital 40D 10.1 MEGAPIXEL WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER, INSTRUCTION BOOK (CF CARD ), DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

    20D
    Canon Digital 20D 8.2 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (CF CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

    Gary

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Thank you everyone
    I'm not sure I've ever bought a Canon - certainly never a Canon slr, but there are some very very good deals on a 600D around here - and that seems like a fine camera to both learn and develop with. (did I say this!)
    40Ds are cheaper, but the saving is only a couple of hundred dollars - and then you get a secondhand camera.
    Keep 'em coming, but you've been very helpful already

    Just this guy you know

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chonburi Thailand
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Jono

    Just been in this exact situation with very artistically inclined 14 year old step daughter.

    I gave her my back up Canon 5D MK1 and 50mm f1.4 prime. I told her to "see" with the 50mm before considering additional lenses.

    So far so good. She's producing some lovely OOF stuff and very interesting portraits of her friends.

    A few weeks ago we talked about another lens which she declined as she finds the 50mm covers most of what she "sees" and does not want to get confused with lens selection.

    Just a thought

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Ever considered a small compact film camera? Like the yashica t4?


  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Germany
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Hi,

    my son starts with about 9 years with a Nikon D40x with a Nikkor 18-200. Now he is 11 and he wants more

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Nikon D90, used or new. It works with all the "old" AF Nikon lenses, has an excellent viewfinder and a trio of 24/50/85mm can be found really cheap second hand. Even new they aren't that expensive.

    Another alternative would be the Pentax K-R, which I understand is a very competent camera (haven't tried it myself though). Pentax primes shouldn't need any further introduction

  15. #15
    Subscriber Member weinschela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York suburb
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    I had a niece in a similar situation. She ended up with a used 5Dmki and a used 17-40. That's what she was interested in. The problem with the question is that you need to tailor the camera to the young lady, so there is no "right" answer. I do also have a soft spot for Pentax as a starter, as their cameras a usually pretty simple without a lot of unnecessary doodads. But that may be nostalgia talking, as Pentax was my first SLR a lonnnng time ago. I worked all summer in a grocery to buy one.
    Last edited by weinschela; 4th March 2012 at 17:51.
    Alan

    Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by ReeRay View Post
    Jono

    Just been in this exact situation with very artistically inclined 14 year old step daughter.

    I gave her my back up Canon 5D MK1 and 50mm f1.4 prime. I told her to "see" with the 50mm before considering additional lenses.

    So far so good. She's producing some lovely OOF stuff and very interesting portraits of her friends.

    A few weeks ago we talked about another lens which she declined as she finds the 50mm covers most of what she "sees" and does not want to get confused with lens selection.

    Just a thought
    . . . and a good one!
    Unfortunately I don't have a spare 5D around! (I had considered handing over my old Olympus E1, but I think it really is a bit too old).
    I like the idea of the single lens though.

    Just this guy you know

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by b&w View Post
    Hi,

    my son starts with about 9 years with a Nikon D40x with a Nikkor 18-200. Now he is 11 and he wants more
    Yes - I thought about a D50, but they aren't terribly cheap, and they are terribly old!

    Quote Originally Posted by caasols View Post
    Ever considered a small compact film camera? Like the yashica t4?

    Nice idea, . . . .
    Well, after a couple of hours with her, she made it pretty clear that she wanted a digital SLR, she wasn't concerned about small or film.

    But, to be honest, I'm not sure that it's a good learning tool - the trouble is that you don't get results back for a week or so (long after you've forgotten what you did), if you're 14 you can't afford the processing (which is now very expensive here) of course, you could process black and white yourself . . but then you need a scanner (otherwise how are you going to put those shots on your Facebook account?) . . and you're learning something which is already redundant!

    Just this guy you know

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Nikon D90, used or new. It works with all the "old" AF Nikon lenses, has an excellent viewfinder and a trio of 24/50/85mm can be found really cheap second hand. Even new they aren't that expensive.

    Another alternative would be the Pentax K-R, which I understand is a very competent camera (haven't tried it myself though). Pentax primes shouldn't need any further introduction
    Ah! Jorgen
    a D90 . . .I've been following ebay auctions . . trouble is that most of them go for more than a new D5100! I find it hard to bring myself to pay £450 for a D90 with no box, no manual and no guarantee!

    But I quite agree in principle - it's where I'd got to, I'm just not quite sure where to get a decent one for a sensible price.

    I've also thought about the Pentax K-R - or one of the OVF Sony's - for the reason that there are plenty of primes available for sensible prices.

    Still, thank you - you've reinforced what I already really new - i.e. that it really does need to take cheap primes!

    Just this guy you know

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
    I had a niece in a similar situation. She ended up with a used 5Dmki and a used 17-40. That's what she was interested in. The problem with the question is that you need to tailor the camera to the young lady, so there is no "right" answer. I do also have a soft spot for Pentax as a starter, as their cameras a usually pretty simple without a lot of unnecessary doodads. But that may be nostalgia talking, as Pentax was my first SLR a lonnnng time ago. I worked all summer in a gorcery to buy one.
    Hi There
    I think that's a bit out of the cost range (a 5D and 17-40). But the principle is right - and as you say, there is no 'right' answer - except that it really does need to be something which will take cheap prime lenses (so the Pentax K-R that Jorgen suggested is a good idea).

    You've all been really helpful so far - any more ideas welcome!

    Just this guy you know

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    I don't think there are huge differences in terms of quality between any of the brands. So it boils down to two things. First, which system allows her to upgrade easily and is (more or less) future-proof. And second, which one feels right to her.

    Personally I am semi-in-love with the new Sonys (even though I am a Nikon guy).
    Martin Ranger - Seattle, WA
    www.martinrangerimages.com

  21. #21
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    If high ISO isn't too much of a consideration, the D80 is also a great camera. I just spent $200 refurbishing mine at Nikon, simply because I think it would be too bad to let an excellent camera succumb.

    I was going to suggest the Pentax K200D too, since it has the same sensor, but they go for unbelievably high prices, twice as much as the Nikon

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by mranger211 View Post
    I don't think there are huge differences in terms of quality between any of the brands. So it boils down to two things. First, which system allows her to upgrade easily and is (more or less) future-proof. And second, which one feels right to her.

    Personally I am semi-in-love with the new Sonys (even though I am a Nikon guy).
    Hi Martin
    I was originally thinking of a Sony because there are so many good cheap minolta lenses around - but I think she should probably start with an optical viewfinder (not sure why), and they're either tiny (the viewfinders) or too expensive (the cameras).

    Just this guy you know

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If high ISO isn't too much of a consideration, the D80 is also a great camera. I just spent $200 refurbishing mine at Nikon, simply because I think it would be too bad to let an excellent camera succumb.

    I was going to suggest the Pentax K200D too, since it has the same sensor, but they go for unbelievably high prices, twice as much as the Nikon
    Hi Jorgen
    KRs look like a good cheap idea - There are also some silly cheap K7s around.

    Pentax looks like quite a good bet - thanks for the suggestion (I should have got there myself).

    Just this guy you know

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Jorgen
    KRs look like a good cheap idea - There are also some silly cheap K7s around.

    Pentax looks like quite a good bet - thanks for the suggestion (I should have got there myself).
    Reading through the thread Pentax was where I was going too. Lots of primes and many designed for digital. I would go for the K-7 or even a K-20 before the K-r though. After shooting film all last year a larger penta-prism finder for manual focus would be higher on my list than about anything else.
    Charles - flickr

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Thanks Charles - I've got my eye on a K7 at the moment - I used to own one, a lovely camera!

    Just this guy you know

  26. #26
    Member carl-b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, uk
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Jono i would suggest something we tell our newbies on the other forum i'm on. That is to go play with a few cameras in jessops or similar. That way she can get a feel for which one is more comfortable to hold/use.
    You could try somewhere like MPB, for used canon/Nikon equipment. Prices are slightly higher than ebay, however they supply a 6 month warranty with all used goods

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by carl-b View Post
    Jono i would suggest something we tell our newbies on the other forum i'm on. That is to go play with a few cameras in jessops or similar. That way she can get a feel for which one is more comfortable to hold/use.
    HI Carl
    I understand what you're saying (and agree), but she's 300 miles away, has no experience, lives 80 miles from the nearest decent camera shop and anyway this needs to be a fait accompli for a birthday present!

    Quote Originally Posted by carl-b View Post
    You could try somewhere like MPB, for used canon/Nikon equipment. Prices are slightly higher than ebay, however they supply a 6 month warranty with all used goods
    Yes - I'd thought of this - and prices aren't always higher than ebay either!
    Good Thought.

    Just this guy you know

  28. #28
    Member carl-b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, uk
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Carl
    I understand what you're saying (and agree), but she's 300 miles away, has no experience, lives 80 miles from the nearest decent camera shop and anyway this needs to be a fait accompli for a birthday present!



    Yes - I'd thought of this - and prices aren't always higher than ebay either!
    Good Thought.
    Ahh that does make things tricky. I would suggest a smaller cam for her one then. So something like the canon 1000/1100d or Nikon D90 or the D3000/5000 series, but the lack of the inbuilt focussing motor might be restrictive

    I have found a few dealers lately a lot cheaper than ebay for certain items, especially some of the MF gear i am interested in

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chonburi Thailand
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by carl-b View Post

    I have found a few dealers lately a lot cheaper than ebay for certain items, especially some of the MF gear i am interested in
    eBay items are getting damn expensive these days and I'm not surprised. The fees they charge are ridiculous. Combined with the paypal fee the sellers are now looking at a premium of 15%.

    No longer the bargain basement they once were.

  30. #30
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Nikon D90


    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

    Nikon D90, used or new. It works with all the "old" AF Nikon lenses, has an excellent viewfinder and a trio of 24/50/85mm can be found really cheap second hand. Even new they aren't that expensive. (...)

    another vote for the D90

    + AF-S 1.8/35mm G DX as a normal lens for a start (angle of view equivalent to 52mm)

    or maybe AF-S 1.8/50mm G (FX) as a convenient start lens (angle of view equivalent to 75mm on film) getting closer

    I have sent you an email with a link to a D90 auction, with a bit of luck you may be able to make a reasonable deal ...

    /Steen

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    HI There
    Jorgen, Steen
    Thanks for the information - it seems that the D90 is the one to get - and thanks also for the link to the German auction - there are also lots in the UK. It's just a case of getting the right one and keeping looking.

    I'll report back!
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Okay Okay Okay
    Thank you everybody - you've been very helpful.
    I searched ebay for sensible deals on the D90, and there were lots - all between £400 and £500 . . . . but a brand new, guaranteed version from amazon was only just over £500 - its seemed worth the extra. A small premium added the 18-105 VR. She wants to shoot primes, but as we all know, sometimes a zoom is just the thing!

    We're going to recommend that she plays with this, and then spends her money either on the 35 or the 50 f1.8 as a 'proper' lens

    I hope she's happy with it!

    . . . everybody has been very helpful, and you'll notice we've ended up with a Nikon - something I don't even own

    Perhaps she'll be taking snaps like Jorgen's . . well ... nearly like Jorgens! Her mother would be very proud (actually, if she takes snaps like Jorgen's we'll ALL be very proud!).

    special thanks also to Steen - who concentrated the mind wonderfully!

    Really, thank you, you've all been very (if expensively) helpful

    We will have forgotten the expense next month - hopefully she'll remember the camera for years!

    Just this guy you know

  33. #33
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Rather than a 35mm or 50mm lens, I'd suggest something longer -- 80 to 90mm. I know that 50mm is supposedly what they eye sees normally, but I don't think it's correct; while we do have considerable peripheral vision, our acute vision is much more limited. A slightly long-focus lens should help her to concentrate her vision on the essential.
    SlŠinte

    Robert.

  34. #34
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Rather than a 35mm or 50mm lens, I'd suggest something longer -- 80 to 90mm. I know that 50mm is supposedly what they eye sees normally, but I don't think it's correct; while we do have considerable peripheral vision, our acute vision is much more limited. A slightly long-focus lens should help her to concentrate her vision on the essential.
    That's an interesting viewpoint. My most used lens on the DX format when I travel is the 85mm f/1.8
    Mine is a very old one, AF non-D and it sounds like an old railway-train or something, electric not steam, but for street candids there's nothing better. 24 plus 85mm would probably be a very interesting combination.

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That's an interesting viewpoint. My most used lens on the DX format when I travel is the 85mm f/1.8
    Mine is a very old one, AF non-D and it sounds like an old railway-train or something, electric not steam, but for street candids there's nothing better. 24 plus 85mm would probably be a very interesting combination.
    I agree - I like to use a 28 and a 75 on my M9 (I haven't got the 135 that your 85 would suggest because Tom won't give me his!)

    Still - she has a zoom and a 50, now it's over to her!

    Just this guy you know

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •