The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Facebook Marketing is a dumb idea

aboudd

There is an inherent weakness in promoting a business through Facebook if you ask a customer to jump through virtual hoops. I just had a strange experience with a discount campaign for a backdrop company. So weird that I had to post it on my blog. Everything Photo

You may want to check it out.

David Schneider

I agree that making someone "like" you on FB to have access is counterproductive to marketing. It's not making it easy for people.

I have great success with facebook for marketing to high school seniors, but tend to get better results using my personal page than my business page.

raywest

This is just part of the general trend, of commercial interests trying to take over the web and milk your on-line identity. In particular, if you are interested a few links here.

Google privacy policy 'breaches EU law' - Tech News - Digital Spy and of course, it was not so long ago they were illegally collecting private wifi network details under the pretext of providing street view.

further info wrt google here -
Google Privacy Checklist: What to Do Before Google's Privacy Policy Changes
There's always the nuclear option: delete your Google accounts.
Source: PCWorld
Google Privacy Checklist: What to Do Before Google's Privacy Policy Changes on March 1 | PCWorld

and for you to try yourself, install 'collusion' if you run 'Firefox', and everyone should read the following if you don't believe the extent of data collection that goes on -

I'm Being Followed: How Google—and 104 Other Companies—Are Tracking Me on the Web
Who are these companies and what do they want from me?
Source: The Atlantic
I'm Being Followed: How Google—and 104 Other Companies—Are Tracking Me on the Web - Alexis Madrigal - Technology - The Atlantic

Now, who owns facebook, u-tube, and the like?

fwiw even getdpi sends info. to at least a couple of outsiders - 'me.com' and 'mac.com' - probably more, depending on what offsite links you click on.

Best wishes,

Ray