The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Going to be in the bar a lot more soon

DavidL

Retirement looms and in 5 months time the Golden eagle (pension) lands. So I'm debating what to do camera wise for the days in the bar. I just got a used Nikon p7000 to snap around with. I sold all my Pro Nikon Gear last year and picked up a K5 and a selection of Limited lenses. Was hoping the K01 would be the answer but I need a viewfinder, old habits die hard, so I'm now thinking maybe all the Pentax stuff could go. But what to replace it with?
The Canon G1X seemed the solution but I'm having doubts having read a couple of negative things and I think it's kind of pricey for what it is.
I'm more and more interested in playing with video so that's a consideration.
Any thoughts from all you other people in the bar would be appreciated.
Cheers
David

ReeRay

Maybe the Panasonic GX-1?

I'm not a video shooter but my Panny goes everywhere with me and copes very well in almost all situations. The new LVF is a vast improvement also over the older model and a wonderful array of lenses now available.

Anyway, enjoy the pension. I took early retirement 12 years back and can highly recommend it:)

Lars

A good viewfinder is key, I think. For anyone past 45 just a screen doesn't cut it. And like you said, the Canon G series has, like almost all compacts, an abysmal screen.

Of course, the ideal bar camera just has to be a Leica M series. Or a Chinese copy.