The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

10 Photographers You Should Ignore

Thought this was pretty funny....

10 Photographers You Should Ignore | Raw File | Wired.com

Couple of them stung a bit (Shore and Soth).
Funny? OK, funny, then: :ROTFL:

But, more important, it struck me as one of the best, and quite serious, short texts on learning photography I´ve read for quite some time. An iconic and established artist is the last thing you need when trying to find ways of making your own statement, and these examples are excellent illustrations of that.

I should know; I waisted ten of my younger years, and lots of silver halide, trying to emulate Saint Ansel himself....:eek:

And I wasn´t all that successful at it....

emr

Well, let's say it was a refreshing read after all the usual ooh and aah and hype. Perhaps not 100% dead serious, but nevertheless a good idea to think outside the box every now and then.

But I have to say that when people like HCB have built such a reputation for themselves, IMO many of their pictures receive much more praise that they would coming from an unknown photographer. But that's usual in art. And even if they do not always succeed, their rep does not usually come out of nothing.

Anders_HK

Thought this was pretty funny....

10 Photographers You Should Ignore | Raw File | Wired.com

Couple of them stung a bit (Shore and Soth).
Well... to place Adams in such comments as written in the OP link shows lack of understanding and respect for what is art. Further, to not even understand the zone system adds to the total lack of knowledge of photography... Frankly the zone system is really simple if one understand the basics... which apparent many do not per the claims. And as stated the author do not even understand about exposure using spot meter for B&W, which is fundamental indeed... Nevertheless any picture can be defined as art, and it is impossible to ignore that Adams works were such.

I will however show respect and not argue that images on lpvmagazine.com are not art, because images of that type can indeed be arts. However, they do not look as very high quality such.

If however you are in Shanghai and wish to look at some really cool modern artsy photo stuff, do visit these (there are also tons of art galleries in same neighborhood of Moganshan Lu/Road);
OFOTO
¿Õ¼ä-ANART Ò»¸öÒÕÊõ
Those two are quality, although difference of opinion is respected in arts... I pure am of impression lpvmagazine.com appear as total garbage in comparison. No offense, it is mere my impression.

Best regards,
Anders