The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji on shopping tour

Swissblad

This may be because Hasselblad had been acquired recently in 2011.

It would have been a mistake to acquire Leica - two very different cultures and philosophies - as well as markets.

Acquisitions don't always work - see Daimler/Chrysler.

Swissblad

OK - interesting.
Still think it would have been a bad idea.
A bit like Toyota buying Porsche.
That said, I'm a big Fuji fan, using both the Xpan and X100.
At least Fuji is managing its business better than Kodak did.

Stefan Steib

Leica was looking for money to expand. And they got it !
I think this clearly shows that their concept right now is even reasonable for financial investors who see them growing.

I am soo curious to see the S3. I wish it would be september already !

regards
Stefan

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Buying Olympus would seem like a logical move. Leica on the other side... I can't really see what either side would gain, but apparently, that's the conclusion Fujifilm reached as well.

I wonder how their relationship to Hasselblad works out. Hasselblad never fail to point out that Fuji is just a supplier of hardware, and only viewfinder and lenses. And why was the GX645 stopped? It would have seemed logical for Fuji to develop their own DB for that camera, a continuation of the back they made for the GX680 which would have been much more at home on the smaller body. I get the impression of a relationship where one partner, Hasselblad, can't get out because there aren't really any alternatives around, while the other, Fujifilm, is in it solely for the money.

Swissblad

I get the impression of a relationship where one partner, Hasselblad, can't get out because there aren't really any alternatives around, while the other, Fujifilm, is in it solely for the money.
Well put!

Let's see what the new Hasselblad digital Xpan will be like.

Stefan Steib

Don´t you think it is strange that they obviously are looking onto an investment and getting a brand that they can use for a maybe more defined marketing approach, and in the interview they do not even talk one word about this relationship they have for over 10 years now being the lens supplier, the maker of many parts of the camera and probably the main R&D partner of Hasselblad ? Not one word about the future of this partnership nor about the past 10 years ?
Normally people who work together speak about it and tell how good and successful it is. I mean just out of politeness ?
Whereas I have to say after reading the original text as a whole he speaks about making Fuji a Pharma company because they think the film business isn´t growing anymore (does anyone remember Kodak who stated that was about the last healthy part ?)...... a very strange interview ! see here (via Google translate from german)

Google Übersetzer

This is a riddle, more than giving any facts. And the things that haven´t been said are more apparent than those he said !

Regards
Stefan

fotografz

I think Hasselblad was looking for a more culturally and technically compatible financial partner. They did retain their former marketing partners on the board, given that the far East is such a strong and growing market for legacy brand names.

I wouldn't read anything into not mentioning Hasselblad in an interview regarding buying other brands ... Fuji may not be at liberty to discuss anything about their on-going working relationship with them.

If anyone outside of Hasselblad's inner circle knows what they are up to and what is coming ... it'd probably be Fuji.

-Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If anyone outside of Hasselblad's inner circle knows what they are up to and what is coming ... it'd probably be Fuji.

-Marc
Absolutely. It's also important to remember that Fujifilm is a very major player in the photographic business (according to themselves, the biggest, but I assume that depends on how the figures are calculated). They quite obviously know how to play their cards, what to say and what not to say. It's a blessing to have such a corporation around, with the guts to make niche products that probably doesn't account for much on their bottom line, if at all.

Stefan Steib

Hi Beni

as it is the internet is a fantastic way to get informations about anything. There is the annual Report of Fujifilmholdings 2011 online

http://www.fujifilmholdings.com/en/pdf/investors/annual_report/ff_ar_2011_all.pdf (

There you will see that they had a substantial growth in their Business in China in 2011 which has compensated for the dramatic losses in 2009 and 2010. it also shows that the document and information solutions parts of the company where significantly more stable than the photo section.
(this was where Kodak took most of it´s losses !)

The guy to ask about the relationship with Hasselblad is probably Takeshi Higuchi , the Director of the Fujinon operation who make the lenses.

about the imaging part - see page 98

"
Imaging Solutions Segment
Because of market shrinkage which was accelerated by the worldwide economic recessions, the
Company implemented the consolidation and shut down of photo-finishing laboratories and terminated
redundant manufacturing lines to further streamline marketing, development and manufacturing
functions. The Company has also implemented workforce reduction programs, disposals of
inventories by means of consolidations and discontinuations of product lines, and other restructuring
activities in domestic and foreign subsidiaries to reduce fixed costs. As a result of the above
activities, the earnings forecast for future periods was revised and impairment charges of ¥30,298
million were recognized in the year ended March 31, 2010, on property, plant and equipment such
as manufacturing facilities, amortizable intangible assets and other assets in domestic and foreign
subsidiaries. ....."

Very interesting document, I have to admit I don´t have the time to read this all, but they seem to be by far more centered and organized as well as having a vision than Kodak did have any of this during the last years.
Maybe an Asian thing to withstand when times get rugged.

Chappeau Fuji, so we will see them as global players for some more time I guess. Oh- again-no word on Hasselblad in this whole Business report.

regards
Stefan

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How did Fuji survive where Kodak didn't? Not only survive but so successfully? I'm fascinated by that.
Apart from being huge in non-amateur markets, like medical imaging, they are extremely active marketing their photography products in Eastern Asia. More than half of the world population lives in this part of the world, so that's not an insignificant factor.

Example: The tiny shop (less tha 50 square meters) where I buy my gear sold more than 100 X-Pro1 in May. That's impressive if you ask me.